137 GB (128 GB binary) limit? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Western Digital 200GB WD2000JBRTL UATA100 with an Ultra ATA Controller Card...hd plugged into controller card like it should be....
yet it still detects only the 137 GB's...i really don't know what's wrong. Help anybody:

Some other specs of my comp:
Windows XP service pack 1
Gigabyte GA-8IK110
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (is my bios not 48-bit or something?)

You need to have an ATA-133 IDE controller to access more than 137GB. Ultra ATA-100 will not do.

There are some rare exceptions, such as Promise Ultra 100TX2 controller card, which can access more than 137GB with a bios update and new drivers.

Intel® Application Accelerator Information on Using Hard Drives Larger than 137GB (48-bit LBA)

You can use the Intel® Application Accelerator to access the full capacity of hard drives that are larger than 137GB on Intel® chipsets with Windows* XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, and Window NT* 4.0.

The Intel Application Accelerator supports hard drives that are greater than 137GB -- which is also referred to as 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA). The Intel Application Accelerator enables 48-bit LBA on any supported chipset and operating system.

Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 do not currently provide native support for hard drives that are larger than 137GB (Windows XP Service Pack 1 adds 48-bit LBA support) †. Please contact Microsoft* for additional information.

In order to enable hard drives larger than 137GB, you will need to install the Intel Application Accelerator or install a 3rd party 48-bit LBA controller card. Although the Intel Application Accelerator supports 48-bit LBA hard drives, it is not designed, nor is it capable of modifying partition sizes.

When using Windows Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98 you may need to install a 3rd party hard drive partitioning software such as PartitionMagic* or Partition Commander* in order to increase the partition size to the hard drive's full capacity.

He already has Windows XP Sp1, so I don't see how Intel® Application Accelerator will solve his issue.

Still, stranger things have happened. :)

PS: Western Digital do not supply controller cards with their hard drives, not even in their retail kits. If your controller card is genuinely suitable then you may just need the latest drivers, or bios for your card. Some more info on the card make/model might enable us to check its suitability, or you could do this yourself by visiting the manufacturers website.

Originally posted by Nic
PS: Western Digital do not supply controller cards with their hard drives, not even in their retail kits. If your controller card is genuinely suitable then you may just need the latest drivers, or bios for your card. Some more info on the card make/model might enable us to check its suitability, or you could do this yourself by visiting the manufacturers website.

Your wrong, because I've seen bundles at Sams Club where the controller card is inside the HD box (box with a special sticker n' all).

with their "special edition" series, they come with a controller card....

and the drivers that i d/l off the site, when i try to install them, it says that's it's not suitable for my harddrive >.<

By "detects only 137 GB" I assume you mean you are using the Disk Manager tool in Computer Management Administrative tool in Windows or a Windows partition utility. If these applications only see 137 GB, then there can be only two things causing the problem:
1. Windows XP SP1 is not installed.
2. 48-bit LBA drive needs to be installed for ATA controller.

If you only see 137 GB of the drive using a DOS partition utility, then the problem is the BIOS does not support 48-bit LBA and you need a BIOS upgrade.

Check out http://www.48bitlba.com. That should have the information you need to figure out what's wrong.

Is 48 bit disk access aloowed by default in XP? It sure is off for me..

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba

Originally posted by Nodsu
Is 48 bit disk access aloowed by default in XP? It sure is off for me..

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba

No, it is not on by default. Wonder why?

I don't think ata 100 versus ata 133 has anything to do with it. You should be able to download the setup utility from from Western Digital too format it and set it up to be used. I think this is what you need Data Lifeguard

Originally posted by FartComa
with their "special edition" series, they come with a controller card....
Not according to the WD website ...

Special Edition EIDE Hard Drive Kit 200GB 7200 RPM

Your new Western Digital hard drive comes with an IDE interface cable, mounting screws, jumpers, installation poster, and Data Lifeguard Tools installation software and utilities.

No mention of Controller Card being part of the kit anywhere on the website. Perhaps the retailer decided to add a controller card to the kit, and added one that doesn't support large hard drives.

Something else to consider is that maybe you only formatted your drive with a 137GB partition.

Edit: Just found this note at the WD online store "Includes a FREE – Promise Technology Ultra ATA Controller Card"

Taken from here
Recommendations
Once the hardware limit has been overcome by using an updated BIOS or a controller card, then specific drivers must be loaded so that your version of Windows will allow for the safe use of any capacity above 137GB. Without these specific drivers, there is a definite possibility of data loss. The Data Lifeguard Tools version 10.0, in conjunction with the Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller, and the proper drivers for the card, will allow Windows 98 Second Edition and above to utilize this space properly.
Also
Another possibility is the use of an add-on EIDE controller that supports 48-bit addressing. We sell PCI EIDE controllers made by our Technology Partner, Promise Technology, on our Online Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back