Can not remove an adware entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

I am running panda intenet security on this computer. For some reason it has notified me of 1 adware entry, from on-line, Panda has not taken care of the issue. Can anyone suggest an adware download. Spybot search and destoy has not picked anything up and CCleaner hasn't either. :confused:

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Please give details of the adware entry found.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Stacey only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi Howard,
I am working on getting HijackThis to work. I ave followed the step for C:\Program Files\HJT but the update on changing the name is not working for me. The program has scanned and found numerous problems, but will not let me see them, to post a Log. I am so sorry for bothering you.

The program thst is scanning is named RegCure, does that sound correct. It found 832 problems.

I am sorry, but I have to go. I will try again in the morning. Thank you for your patients.

Do not trust the RegCure programme. In fact I advise you to uninstall it.

Taken from HERE.

Download HijackThis from HERE. Unzip it and place it in this directory C:\program files\hijackThis\HijackThis.exe.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Rename the Hijackthis.exe file to Analyze.exe. This is because some malware can hide from HijackThis.exe. Right click the HijackThis.exe file and choose rename. Click in the title box and press the delete key to clear what`s there, type Analyze.exe and press the enter key. Right click the Analyze.exe file and send to desktop(create shortcut).

This thread is for the use of Stacey only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

HJT Log

Good Morning,
I hope I did the log properly. If anyone gets a chance to take a look at it I would really appreciate it.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Optimum Online<--This programme places advertising on your system.

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

Netsurf.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O16 - DPF: {1D6711C8-7154-40BB-8380-3DEA45B69CBF} -

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\Optimum Online<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Thank you Howard, I will work on that today. Optimum online is my broad band provider, so is this going to be a recurring issue for me?

Removing the Optimum Online programme won`t affect your connection. It just some software that gets installed, when you use the setup cd from your ISP.

Thank you so much for your time and patients. Stacey :)

Sorry Howard, I tried to edit my last entry but was unable to attach new log. This is the new HJT log.
The system keeps telling me that I have already posted this log, is there a step I am missing. :(

I have removed your previous HJT log file. You shouldn`t have any problems in attaching a fresh HJT log now.

New HJT log

Hi Howard, Here is my new log. Thank you so much for the time you are taking to help me.

You still haven`t got rid of the Optimum Online programme, you should do so immediately.

The O16 - DPF: {1D6711C8-7154-40BB-8380-3DEA45B69CBF} - entry is also still showing in your HJT log. Have HJT fix it.

Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

Thank you

:grinthumb Thank you again, Howard. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found Techspot. Oh; Still would have been afraid to do anything on the computer. I thought I may have been a virus, ha!ha!
PS. thanks for correcting my title spelling error. Talk to you soon. Stacey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back