Windows did not start successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the weekend, my PC crashed, and ever since, I've only been able to get the following message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

I can't start it in any of the modes listed. There is a lot of data on the PC that would devastate me if I can't retrieve it, so I'm hoping that there's a solution to this.

I thought that perhaps connecting another PC to it might help me retrieve some data (although I'm probably wrong). However, this is also a problem, as I haven't got access to another machine (I'm posting this from work).

Any help would be much appreciated (I'm dumb when it comes to these things)!

Thanks!

If the data is critical, take it to a reputable shop and have then copy off the data.

While there, you might as well have them fix it.

:)

use your XP disc to attempt a disc repair.
Also download a copy of memtest 86+ to a floppy drive to rule out bad ram.
run for 7 passes or more.
get a copy of ccleaner to repair your registry
check for viri and trojans

these are things you need to do.

Thanks for the replies. I've been searching for my XP disk, but no luck yet. I'll persist though, as I know I must have it, but it's been over 5 years since I've used it.

As a last resort I'll bring it to be repaired - I'd prefer if I could know the problem myself in case it ever happens again.

Update: Earlier today I rented a laptop and bought myself one of these thingys, removed my hard drive + placed it into this to try to copy the data. I haven't really had a chance to look at it yet, but from the short time I spent with it, I was having trouble opening the drive's contents.

Could this be because the memory on the disk is practically full?

Should I be patient and expect it to open eventually?

jedifart said:
Update: Earlier today I rented a laptop and bought myself one of these thingys, removed my hard drive + placed it into this to try to copy the data. I haven't really had a chance to look at it yet, but from the short time I spent with it, I was having trouble opening the drive's contents.

Could this be because the memory on the disk is practically full?

Should I be patient and expect it to open eventually?

What kind of trouble are you having?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back