Word (office xp) opening very slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Has there been a xp download that has messed up word.

My daughter grumbled that work was taking ages to open and freezing with more than 2 open documents.
I did usual checks and dumped stuff checked virus etc and defragged no luck,

I am now working on my machine and the same is happening. I was wondering if one of the auto downloads has messed up word.

I did notice that when it opened it took ages one time requesting a virus scan. When open it works ok.
Thanks

My wife informed my this morning of the same thing. I hadn't thought much about it till now that you mentioned it, but I'm going to look through recent updates, to both XP and Office XP and see if I can locate the culprit. It would have to have been something that was updated in the last week, as thats about how long it has been since I had used Word on one of the XP machines.

I'm not experiencing the freezing, just slow opening of Word(takes about twice as long as it used to)

Same here,

When I open a word document it lags quite a lot till it responds (10 - 15 seconds). Thats just new from today.

Im also using Norton antivirus 2003. I'll check if that has anything to do.

I have NAV 03 on only one of the affected machines, I don't think thats the problem, I am thinking its either an XP or Office specific update that has caused this.

Norton is the Culprit

Noticed last night on my home computer that the right click sub-menu was taking forever to pop up. Tried to open an excel document and that as well took forever. Came to work this morning complaining about it to my co-worker and he was experiacing the same thing on his home computer and the computer I am currently typing this on is acting up as well. Called my father-in-law and his computer had the same symptoms. If you disable Norton Auto-Protect the problem mysteriously goes away. Have not been able to find any information on Symantecs website if someone else does please post. Thanks

Well it is norton for us

I found a microsoft world forum thread which worked.

open Norton under misc. uncheck the "enable office plugin" we have done this and all is back to normal.
:p

That seems to have been the problem on one of my machines as well. Removed McAfee from the other one and installed NAV 03 and that seemed to fix it as well(couldn't find any option in McAfee that had to do with Office)
Anyway, all is good again. thanks guys

I have Norton Antivirus 2004 and Word 2003. Same here. It takes about 15 seconds for Word to load its initial screen, although the program itself loads in less than a second.

15 seconds on an Athlon 2600+ @ ~3100+ and 1GB of DDR is way too long for anything. ;)

Disabling the Office Plugin in NAV will prevent this from happening. Must be a problem with an update for NAV, as it affects my 2004 too.

apparently the last update must have enabled that plugin, as I have NEVER had it enabled, yet it was enabled and oddly enough NAV 03 just updated itself yesterday, so I'm pretty sure that was the cause at least on this machine, not sure about the one that had McAfee on it.

I am a little bothered that everyone I spoke today has had the same problem, even my youngest girl had the same at school ( they all have to have their own Laptops) all but 4 kids had slow word how odd is this.

My dad said it confirms his belief that Norton causes more trouble than its worth.

:(

This is why everyone is having problems

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A certificate which Verisign used for signing SSL certificates has expired. When applications which depend on that certificate try to make an SSL connection, they fail and try to access crl.verisign.com, the certificate revocation list server. This has effectively DOS'ed that site, and Verisign has now updated the DNS record for that address to include several non-routable addresses, reducing the load on their servers. Some applications affected include older Internet Explorer browsers, Java, and Norton Antivirus (which may manifest itself as Microsoft Word being very slow to start). Hope this helps a few people, and if you have other apps with problems, please post about them below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps you!!

I thinks its not all solved, a few folk and also my daughter all without exception use peer to peer kazaar etc now at the same time as the "word problem" also started really slow IE connection speed, So far Its too bitty to pin down to a similar cause as all the kids tend to exaggerate and agree with each other.

For me all I have noted on her machine which I have cleared of all rubbish and run usual sweeps when a link on favourites is clicked the machine appears to hang for about 45 secs then picks up the link and all is fine.
Alt Ctr Del does not shoe any process not responding during the lag?
A little odd?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back