Residue on amd chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

just put on some silver compound then had to redo it - i got some residue from the silver compound on the surrounding chips around the core. i cleaned out as much as i could with soft cloth but could only get so much off. comp hasnt been turned on for more than 30 minutes since i put in so i dont think i have damaged anything. am i put the cpu at risk or should i just forget about it. also what should i use to clean it - soft cloth or something else. much thanks.

Use Denatured alcohol(found at hardware stores and electronics shops), or an "approved" electronics cleaner. Isopropol(rubbing alcohol) is only about 70% alcohol and it contains water. Denatured is almost completely alcohol and evaporates much faster, reducing the change of you mucking something up. You can also use Sterilizing alcohol(the kind they sell at the pharmacy next to the diabetic supplies) its also very close to pure.

You can also use a stiff paintbrush and good old washing-up liquid, but make sure you allow the chip to dry properly before you reuse it. Yes, good old soap and water works *better* than most solvents, and is something not many (electronics) engineers are aware of. Just don't do this with any components that can trap water internally. You can use an air blower (aerosol) to speed up drying if you have one.

PS: I used this trick to clean my old Athlon 1.3GHz only last week, as I got a new silent cooler for it. Works a treat, ozone friendly, and costs nothing (almost)!

My friend and I 'unlocked' his barton...... or so we thought :( Turns out we connected the wrong bridges!! Water worked best, so I believe Nic's trick would be just as good :D

Yes, water does the job. I don't recommend it though because most people are too impatient to let the component dry before trying to use it. Then they blame you for their mistake. I try to refrain from giving advice that would cause the average ***** to shoot himself in the foot.

i think im going to go for the alcohol approach on this one and maybe not throw on 4 ounces of silver compound (my thinking was the more the merrier). much thanks to all of ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back