SATA HD Drivers for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget123

Well, I am now in the process of upgrading to my new system.

Ok, I am at a loss. I installed the WD SATA, Plextar and a floppy and booted up. It posts and sees the WD HD connected to the #1 SATA port. The SATA jumper is enabled. When it reaches the SATA driver utility, it sees the WD as HD 0. Boot sequence is CD, Floppy and SCSI. Install asks for F6 if SCSI drivers and have hit F6. When XP gets to reading the HD, it doesn't see it and wants the 3rd party drivers. The current SATA drivers are there, so I don't know why XP doesn't see the drive. I am just running 1 SATA drive, not a raid config. I didn't get a SATA utility floppy with the drivers on it (purchased a barebones sys) and if I don't select installing the drivers, it of course doesn't see the drive at all and wants to stop loading XP.

I downloaded drivers (from the ASUS) and tried to put the SATA driver on a floppy but it's too big. I copied the ASUS CD SATA driver info to a disk and downloaded SATA drivers from the Silicon Image site and put them on a disk. It can't find "Si3112r.sys", but I know it is there. I am not sure which files I need. What do I need to do to get the XP setup to read the drive?

Can you pull the XP CD and replace it temporarily with the motherboard software CD until the drivers are loaded?

Workaround

You should definitely figure out what is causing this issue, but one option you have, if all else fails, is to install your OS on a normal IDE HD, and use your SATA drive and a second data drive...just a thought...;)

As this was a barebones system put together by a vendor and the SATA was OEM (didn't include disk or instructions) I wasn't sure what needed to be loaded. I downloaded the ASUS SATA driver including the GUI that I didn't need. I have seen other mfgs drivers with "install" files you expand, but ASUS didn't have one. I thought I had picked all of the files I needed, leaving the GUI files alone, but must have left one out..therefore it wasn'
t seeing the drive. After working the the vendor, I found out what I needed..copied them to the disk and ran it. No problems.
XP is loaded and now I just have to copy files and load programs.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jumpers...

Im having some problems aswell trying to get my SATA hard drive to work, whats are the jumper settings on most MOBOs? Any linkage would be useful aswel :) By the way, Im never buying OEM again!

MOBO Specs

Intel i875P Chipset........But Ive already tried downloading the updates from Intel and it wont work because my computer is a Dull..... argh........

hey i have the some MoBo and am haveing the same problem installing XP ......... i can't seem to find the right files to make xp even start loading the drivers for the SATA ......... plz some one post a list of the exact files need to make it work

You got a floppy disk with your mobo/sata controller.

When windows install prompts you, press F6 and insert the floppy.

the controller is on the MoBo ..... and all i got from Asus is the drivers CD ........ what i need to know is what files i need to set up on a floppy that windows will reconize and load from

It has been about 3 months since this issue, but as I recall, I called or e-mailed tech support with Monarch Computers. I explained that the new install for XP was asking for the SATA drivers as the BIOS was detecting the drive. I downloaded what I thought was the drivers from the Asus site..I think..but had a problem opening it off of the floppy. I told the Monarch tech this and he e-mailed the correct drivers. No problem with the install after that. I looked though my emails for the link to the correct drivers for my ASUS MB, but haven't found them yet.

I've installed WindowsXP on an A7N8X-E a few weeks ago. I just needed to download the Silicon Image drivers located HERE (4.38mb).

Obviously the contents of that file are too big to put on a floppy. The only thing you need to have on your floppy are the following files (all located inside the zip file you've downloaded):
  • Si3112r.inf
  • Si3112r.mpd
  • Si3112r.sys
  • SIISUPP.VXD
  • SIWinAcc.sys
  • TxtSetup.oem
With these files on a floppy, once loaded at the beginning of the XP install procedure, it will find your SATA HDD & offer you the option to install XP on that drive.

Originally posted by Gadget123
As this was a barebones system put together by a vendor and the SATA was OEM (didn't include disk or instructions) I wasn't sure what needed to be loaded. I downloaded the ASUS SATA driver including the GUI that I didn't need. I have seen other mfgs drivers with "install" files you expand, but ASUS didn't have one. I thought I had picked all of the files I needed, leaving the GUI files alone, but must have left one out..therefore it wasn'
t seeing the drive. After working the the vendor, I found out what I needed..copied them to the disk and ran it. No problems.
XP is loaded and now I just have to copy files and load programs.

Thanks to all for the help.
Can you please tell me where you got the drivers I have the same problem. Thank you.

si3112r.sys ... i was having the blue screen of death cause my raid driver's where out dated goto asus web site down latest drivers they are microsioft cerified driver version

1.0.050 date 5/12/2004
hope this helps any ques email me

A7N8X-E HDD SATA Drivers needed for FD plz.

Anyone please help me to get SATA drivers for XP Pro / WD740 that I could fit it on a floppy.
Really appreciate it.

Didou, You are the best man today! Thank You so much for such info!
Even from ASUS site at first time download - had missing Si3112r.mpd file from the manufacturer package. Link of yours, gave me right tool - Thanx

I have just built my first system and was excited when it started up for the first time. However this was very short lived.

I can't get Win XP Pro to install on my SATA hard drive (Just the one in the system)

I have tried to download the right drivers to load at the F6 promt but windows just keeps trying to reinstall its self over the previous try. what do I need to install to get Windows to load.

I have a Giga-byte K8NXP-9 motherboard with 4 SATA_SB connectors on it and 4 SATA_SII. The SATA HDD is connected to the SATA0_SB connector. When I tried to connect it to the SATA0_SII connector it was not detected.

The Hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 120GB drive.

** My Boot seq is HDD, Floppy , CD ROM (SCSI is not listed) with the SATA HDD connected to SATA0_SB I also have the choice U¬5oJ. when connected to the SATA0_SII this choice is gone **

Please Please Help ......... I have been at it for 6 hours now :confused:

Thx

After +- 26 hours of non stop searching, i finally found this forum and solved the problem. 1 SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 9 on an K8V-X giving me a lot of headache. I just want to thank you, didou for giving me the info you did!!!! Now i can finally get some rest :)

I've posted over in the Storage part of these forums just a few minutes ago, but I seem to have this problem as well. Well, not quite.

I downloaded the drivers (NVIDIA from the Gigabyte website), loaded them onto a floppy and hit the infamous F6. Windows Setup saw them, I selected, but then in the next step it said it couldn't find the harddisk.

It's SATA, and the only hdd. I was wondering if I should start by updating BIOS, but at anyrate not tonight. Haha, good night all! Any help would be appreciated . . .

PS I tried copying some files off the mobo cd, 3112 or something similar (no *r) . . . but that didn't work so Iwent to the website. There was a handy little program that extracted what Ineeded onto a floppy - or so it appeared.

Well, seems correct what u did. I just downloaded the RAID drivers for my mobo and extracted the following files on a floppy and booted. Files that I copied are:

VIARAID/DriverDisk/TXTSETUP.OEM
VIARAID/DriverDisk/VT6420
VIARAID/DriverDisk/SATA/TXTSETUP.OEM
VIARAID/DriverDisk/SATA/VT8237
VIARAID/DriverDisk/SATA/Win2000/viasraid.cat
VIARAID/DriverDisk/SATA/Win2000/VIASRAID.inf
VIARAID/DriverDisk/SATA/Win2000/viasraid.sys

Maybe some redundant files in here, but i was tired of searching and copied the whole lot on it ;-)
When installing, F6 and it worked out fine for me.
I did flash the BIOS aswell, but didn't really help solve my problem.

gz and succes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back