Windows XP will get Longhorn technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"If WinFX (including Avalon and Indigo) are going to be available for WinXP and Win2003. What is going to be the point of Longhorn?"

So wrote one developer on Microsoft's bulletin boards, and that person certainly has a good point. If Windows XP will inherit certain technologies that were originally slated only for inclusion in Longhorn, which have now been decoupled from that OS, then what is the point in Longhorn? It won't be the new haven of technological advances we were promised because WinFS will be missing (new technology file system that puts a database at the heart of the disk file system), and Avalon and Indigo will be made to be Windows XP compliant. One wonders actually what will be different about Longhorn in the end - if anything - from what Windows XP will eventually become.

so, sad. it seems like longhorn in its original intended form was too much for microsoft to handle...............

Hah, how patetic!

I bet the difference in the end will be as "large" (note the sarcasm!) as Win2K vs WinXP

Yes it is really rather disappointing. Again, Microsoft fails to deliver on their grand promises.

Still, don't worry, I'm sure it will all be sorted out when they release Blackcomb.

;)

As the company told me recently, "Another major release of Windows Server will follow Windows Server 2003; it is code named Blackcomb. We do not have a firm release date at this time, and Microsoft will determine a release timeframe based on what customers tell us they require."

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

You know there was supposed to be a Windows 97? I think Microsoft just makes all of this stuff up.

You know what, I bet Longhorn ships next year, and its called Windows 2005.

And, of course, it will be as to Windows XP as Windows XP was to Windows 2000 - basically it will look prettier.

How sad.

How sad indeed. I really thought we were going to get something new this time. Something better. How pathetic that we are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back