TechSpot IRC Channel

Phantasm66

3DSpotlight IRC Channel

Do we have one of these? Does anyone use it? Could we have one? Would anyone use it if we did?

Might be useful for getting organised with internet games, regulars supporting some tricky problems, etc....

What do you all think??

(Apologies if there is one, and I have completely missed it because I am so dumb.)

Actually I was thinking about this the other day. I would use it if we had one. I haven't used IRC that much, basically just looked around in it and tried to figure how things work out, but really to no avail:) But if 3DS had a channel I would definately visit it.

I use IRC everyday myself. I'm mostly on the Starchat server but mIRC 6.0 allows multiple server connections, so I can still connect to it if it's on another one :)

The true nature of the Force

Anyone know of a channel that we could all colonise so that if I am looking for a 3DS buddy to play Quake III with, I will be more able to find one???

Sounds like a good idea, one of my own you could say. I asked about a java-type chat room a while back and it looked like everyone wanted one. I still support the idea very much, but unfortunately i have no idea where we could all colonize.

I use it

I frequent #scotsclan and a few other counter-strike clan channels.
I can't access from work but in the evenings I am usually found idling in the above channel. I would also hang about #3dspotlight if it became populated by 3ds regulars ;)

Re: I use it

Originally posted by Arris
I frequent #scotsclan and a few other counter-strike clan channels.
I can't access from work but in the evenings I am usually found idling in the above channel. I would also hang about #3dspotlight if it became populated by 3ds regulars ;)

On what server network? Dalnet, EFnet, Undernet etc.?

If someone chooses a server and creates the channel, people would come there....

I suggest Julio or some of the supermods take a trip to Dalnet and register a channel there.... (It is a bit safer from takeovers as we won't need any bots in the channel at all times...)

.02$

I suggest a bot on 3DS on EFnet? I could provide a bot... (made by Tosh, you know, he who found the bug in the prior forum :))

Originally posted by ToRN
I suggest a bot on 3DS on EFnet? I could provide a bot... (made by Tosh, you know, he who found the bug in the prior forum :))

As long as it's up 24/7, and the channel is run under a strict rule, I can't think of any reason not to do it :)

But I'm afraid that if there is any leniency when it comes to @'s we'll loose the channel quite fast...

.02$

I'll check if he could alter the bot to have it like 'censor bad words' or anything. Make it a 3DS regular :)

Must it be IRC? There are alternatives. MSN provides a very good chat room service, we could set up a room with them w/ a bot to keep it online 24/7. A profanity filter is built in, you can enable it if chosen. It also provides a very useful administrator function, or hosts. Good for the mods. One thing it may be unattractive in is that the activex codecs it uses may only be compatible with Internet Explorer, which is bad news for the Linuxheads in here.

But IRC'd work fine.

"MSN is for loosers!" - Han Solo.

I agree. IRC offers a much more advanced, multi-platform environment. MSN is, at best, good for telling your pals when to meet you in the bar.

Well I am not sure how to setup this channel, or if you have to pay anything, but I say someone just needs to go ahead and do it, and tell everyone else about it. That way we can just go there and chat with each other. If it is there I am sure it will get used by lots of people, it's just gotta be there first.

I created a channel on IRC, it's a first try :)

name : #3dspotlight
IRC Server : irc.starchat.net
Server Name : StarChat

you need to register your nicks with StartChat, that way I'll put every moderator here in the forums as an OP on the channel :)

I'm on it right now in case someone wants to give it a try...

Originally posted by Didou
I created a channel on IRC, it's a first try :)

name : #3dspotlight
IRC Server : reality.no.eu.starchat.net:6667 / reality.no.eu.starchat.net:6669 / reality.no.eu.starchat.net7000
Server Name : StarChat

you need to register your nicks with StartChat, that way I'll put every moderator here in the forums as an OP on the channel :)

Quite nice, and it runs chanserv, which is a Good Thing TM :)

Not that it's anyone besides me there now, but :D

Good work Didou :)

I just hope it'll fit everyone's needs. :)

Me & P66 were on it yesterday.

I was pretty tired today but i'll probably be on it everyday :D

ok I have mIRC. but I think I might be the dumbest person to ever download it. so could somebody post a step by step type thing to getting into this channel?

A short howto :)

Originally posted by SNGX1275
ok I have mIRC. but I think I might be the dumbest person to ever download it. so could somebody post a step by step type thing to getting into this channel?

First, choose your nick in mIRC.
The log on to the server.

When you've logged on type the following:
/msg nickserv register <insert email here> <insert password here>
then push enter :)

You will then be sent an email with a confirmation code (just copy paste) and you can start using the channel... (You'll get a confirmation after you've sent the activation code)

So let's say I'd wanted to register the nick totalnewbie: I'd set it as the nick in mIRC (or whatever IRC client you want to use), and log on...

Then I'd type:
/msg nickserv register totalnewbie kill_loosers@hotmail.com newbiesunite

I'll then get a message telling me an activation code has been sent.
Checking my hotmail account I'll find something like:
/msg NickServ ACTIVATE 1235978314
which i copy into mIRC...
I'll then receive a message saying my account has been activated and what password I'd chosen...

NOTE: Sometimes the services can be down, which means that you won't be able to register... If it happens, wait an hour and try again..

Hope this helps :)

I meant TOTAL NEWBIE to IRC, I don't know anything. I dont' know anything thats not GUI based other than BASIC, some FORTRAN, and some C++. I got myself registered with StarChat and thats about it. I don't know anything past there, I don't know how to join channels, basically I don't know anything. I'm stuck here. I'm sure it can't be that complex but I get really frusterated when somethign that other people find so simple and I can't figure out.

Sorry for not replying

I leave my computer on even when I leave the house to go to work, that's why I didn't reply when you guys talked on the channel. Sorry :(

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I got myself registered with StarChat and thats about it. I don't know anything past there, I don't know how to join channels, basically I don't know anything. I'm stuck here. I'm sure it can't be that complex but I get really frusterated when somethign that other people find so simple and I can't figure out.

Oopss... Sorry!
Just type in /join #3dspotlight and that should be it...

Back