Virtual Memory Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

si007

When I had 256 MB of Ram I had my virtual memory set at 400 for both the minimum and maximum. There was a reason for this which I have totally forgotton. Now I have 512 MB Ram and I wanted to know if someone could tell me if I need to change this setting and if so what should it be.

Cheers.

Si
:cool:

Typically Microsoft recommends 1.5 X Physical RAM for your pagefile. Is that enough reason or do you want more detail? Personally, if you do no rendering or video editing as you increase the amount of Physical RAM you have I would decrease the size of my pagefile. I run with a 4 gig pagefile, but I only do so because I do render things and edit video.

LNCPapa

Some people say 1.5x physical RAM, others say 2.5x, others add to one of those, not to exceed 350MB pagefile due it taking too long to read the file, of course that was a few years ago. I say to start with 1.5x and work from there to find the best setting for your needs.

Personally I have 1.5GB physical RAM and a 348MB pagefile. I do a lot of video editing and 3D rendering and haven't had any problems but I have had my free RAM at a very low level, though I rarely use more than around 20MB of my pagefile other than certain apps which insist upon using it just because they feel the need to do so.
I found that a larger pagefile, in my case, just increased the time it takes to reboot my machine when the need arises.

A fixed pagefile size prevents pagefile fragmentation which can really slow down a computer. With 512 MB you probably won't hit the pagefile very often. I think the current thinking for NT, 2K and XP is a minimum of memory size plus 64k for a error dump in the event of a crash. I use less because the memory dump has never been useful and I really don't need it. I'm running 550 MB because I think that was the minimum when installed Win2k and I just set the max to match.

Originally posted by Tarkus
With 512 MB you probably won't hit the pagefile very often.

You will if you run certain types of applications like 3D and graphics editors. Some of those types of programs use the pagefile as well as physical RAM.

Paging file size

For some reason, my computer gives me the following message:

"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified."

But, when I go into My Computer properties and adjust the paging file size, it won't "stick." When I reset the computer, its back to "20" no matter what I set it to.

Does anyone know why this is so? I am a graphic designer, not a hardware guy, so I am really lost. Thanks for the help.

Josue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back