Message Center Spam Pop Up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrone

Recently I have been on my computer, whether it be editing pictures, or on AIM, or something, not necessarily on Internet explorer, well anyway, while im doing this a strange windows/pop up occurs. It isnt an internet explorer pop up because I ctrl + alt + del it and it says message center.... this is an ad for some cigar company, and it is always the same ad, ive gotten it 4 times in the past 2 weeks and it just started recently... any ideas....

Attachments

• shot1.jpg
    shot1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 83
Check your add/remove applications and make sure there is no program doing this. I had a lot of popups recently from Gain and i realized that somehow i had installed a program on my computer that popped these messages up.

Btw-nice Mitsubishi 3000GT in the background. :thumbup:

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
...and how is that done Mic?

User has to have administrator rights, then from Administrative Tools - Services, select Messenger, right-click, stop it and set it to Manual or Disabled.

This can be done if anyone has your ip, It is basically someone playing a joke on you. I do this all the time to people in my house. I'll bet it is PHATMAN5050, he's always trying to play with your mind. But yes you can get rid of it as Mictlantecuhtli has suggested.

Cabrone isn't networked with anyone else in the house, and there is no Cat5 cable that runs from my house to his for me to message him. Nice try there Poertner! lol

It's definitely a netsend. It's in that format. Do you have broadband? You could be getting an advertisement from your ISP, for some odd reason.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Cabrone isn't networked with anyone else in the house, and there is no Cat5 cable that runs from my house to his for me to message him. Nice try there Poertner! lol

You don't need to be on a network. I could send you a message if I knew your ip. And if you accepted them. I actually have a program that will send 100 of these at once and you will have to close EVERY SINGLE one of them seperatly. I was just playing with ya anyway PHAT. Just a little fyi.

Grrr...

Yesterday night I received the same message. Cabrone and I both have the same ISP and if they are the ones sending the message believe you me that they will hear about it from me. I do not understand how I could have gotten the message from netsend as I'm behind a firewall which means my ip is not the one given to me from my ISP.

Just email them about it. Be polite. Usually the best way would be something like, "You know guys, your ISP is great. It's fast, I have huge upload/download limits, and it's very stable. I've been using it for (x amount of time) now, and I seem to be having a problem...blah blah blah"

Greatens the chance of a knowledgeable reply ;)

Yeah but that is called sucking up, and when you have a problem that is the last thing you want to do. I know I am not helping things here, but how do you know it is your ISP for real????? And why send them an email if they have nothing to do with it.
On the other hand I suppose that it won't hurt anything to send them an email asking about it. I guess this one is totally up to you......

Yes, that's what I was saying. Send them an email asking about it. Sucking up can be good or bad. It depends on the person who gets the email.

I just got one of those ADS. I was playing CS & the thing made HL minimise & brought me back to the desktop to read it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If you aren't on a network, disable your messenger service in Start/Control panel/Adminstrative Tools/Services

There's another post on this forum about the same thing and how to disable it if you need more detail.

This is done by typing NET SEND IPADDRESS MESSAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back