hdmk

Could I run a Ti4200 on a 250W PSU?

Other components on the system:

Athon 750Mhz
256mb (2x64mb, 1X 128mb)
Gigabyte GIXE Mobo
Soundblaster 128PCI - high quality ;)
Alcatel SpeedTouch - PCI ADSL modem

The specifications that I have read say that it needs 300W+, but I've heard that someone has got a Ti4600 and a P4 on a 150W PSU...

I know that the card will be restricted on my system, but I'll be upgrading the rest soon anyway.

Originally posted by hdmk
I've heard that someone has got a Ti4600 and a P4 on a 150W PSU...

Lie. Dirty filthy lie. Well actually yeah, that would work, if they only had the vid card, the first 1.3GHz P4, low-RPM HSF, memory, sysbo, and HDD. And that's it ;)

Umm, my old 250W held up against my Athlon XP 2100+, A7V266, dual HDD's and dual CD-ROM's kinda well. It reset here and there.

Most likely you'll be able to do it, but I would advise against doing anything of importance on it. If you do, save often.

The Ti4200+Athlon 750 will run a serious bottleneck, BTW.

Ti4200 on a 150? I kinda doubt it, I doubt it even more if they have a P4. That would be pretty much all the power and none left for the other components.

As for your 250W and your question, yea, it will probably run ok. Is it good for the system, no. I'd recommend at least a 300W maybe even a 350W especially if you plan on doing any upgrades.

I have a crippled P4 (read = Celeron II) working with 230W PSU. The secret is another PSU, 235W AT, that powers harddisks, CD-RW, DVD-drive and fans. This system has problems starting sometimes (that's one reason why I keep this running 24/7) because of too small PSU. And my graphics card isn't the most power-hungry either.
I say it's not possible. However, there are differences in PSUs true output power.

I'd recommend at least a 300W maybe even a 350W especially if you plan on doing any upgrades. [/B]

Yup...SB is right. You have think about stability issues too. An underpowered PSU can make your system less stable and less efficient!

Does anyone know what the approximate power draw for a Ti 4200 is? Or for a Voodoo 4 4500, for that matter, as that's what I'll be upgrading from?

TIA...

HDMK, I tried to run a GF3 (Original version) on the GA-7IXE4, my flat mate has the GA-7IXE. When I tried the GF3 in the 7IXE4 I had nothing but lockup after lockup. I contacted Gigabyte support and was told that the AGP port on the board could support a maximum of a GF2MX400... Due to restrictions on the power being provided to it. I couldn't find a GIXE board listed on Gigabytes products web page so I am guessing you are referring to the 7IXE. If so I don't think the GF4 Ti4200 will run on that board. Check your boards AGP details in the documentation on the Gigabyte site and maybe fire off an email and question them on whether or not this will work ( I doubt it). :(

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
This system has problems starting sometimes (that's one reason why I keep this running 24/7) because of too small PSU

That isn't surprising Mic, it also brings up a good point I think I may have mentioned in previous PSU threads. The system consumes more power when it is started up than when it is running. When you first power it on, all the devices consume more current(amps) especially drive motors. This translates to more power(Wattage)

And thanks to everyone for all the help. I decided to go for it and get a new case, the Antec 1080AMG w/430w PS. Strangely enough, the Asus motherboard I have has both AT and ATX power connectors. When I get more money, I'll be able to upgrade the board and CPU, too.

HAHAHAHA!

Just bought my Ti4200 (64mb PNY) today....and guess what...it works!

It took me ages to get it installed (I didn't put the card into the AGP slot properly) - so I mucked around trying to get my old TNT2...to work...but my rig didn't even post....anyway, tried the Ti4200 again...and it worked!

So much for a not having enough power with my 250W PSU - or not accepting anything above a GF2 on my Gigabyte GA-7IXE board...

YAY! Thanks for all the help guys. I'll learn to ignore you next time!
- PS updating mobo (including PSU to 400W) etc in like a months time...so don't say BOTTLENECK! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back