windows 2000 DMA help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

i recently installed windows 2000, how do i enable DMA for my ide devices?
i clicked on "DMA if available" but it still stays in PIO mode :mad:

how can i enable DMA?

Well if you clicked on Enable DMA and it still uses PI0 this leads me to believe that your devices don't support DMA.
I think they also have to be enabled in the BIOS, but am not 100% sure about that.

Does it FEEL like PIO mode? There have been a quite a few instances where PIO mode is misreported in Windows 2000... Meaning it is really in DMA mode, but it just does not say.

What usually works is installing the latest IDE chipset drivers for your motherboard, update your BIOS with the latest version and install the newest service pack for Windows 2000 (SP3).

First, I would try uninstalling your IDE chipset driver, all IDE channel drivers, and all of your IDE drives through device manager. Restart and it will install the default drivers, check them to make sure they are in PIO or DMA mode. (They should all be in PIO mode). Then set them to autodetect DMA and reboot once more.. This usually causes Windows 2000 and XP to detect DMA properly.

Sounds like quite a hastle to get it working properly. But if it works then it needs to be done.

You would think that M$ would make things less complicated, oh wait did I say that??? All of M$ is complicated and doen'st work properly

Look in my tweaking program, to see if UDMA66 Mode is enabled on the WinNT/2K/XP tweaking tab, this will give you an idea as to whether DMA is actually enabled within Windows. Windows 2000 ships with DMA disabled, in order to maximise compatibility with more systems. My tweaking program will enable DMA if it isn't already.

Get it here http://www.tweakdb.tk. Beta 2.0 will be available soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back