ikernel.exe error messege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

When I tried to run a game I just installed I got a Ikernel.exe erroro messege saying something like, the memory can not be 'read'...... and then the option to terminate the program.
I did and was left with a blck screen.. had to reboot.

What's going on?:confused:

This happens to me too, where I get the blue screen, and it says like cannot dumb memory load or something....just whenever, even when the PC is ideling....all you can do to get out of it is reboot.:confused:

You get these errors when starting the game? ikernel.exe is the Installshield engine. the only time I've seen an error relating to it was while installing/uninstalling something, not while trying to run an application or game. Most of the problems with ikernel.exe can be solved by disabling Antivirus while Installshield is loading. I've also seen reference to updating activeX and VB-runtime files.

I'm unsure if that will work in this case though because I wouldn't think that Installshield should even be loading unless you are installing a software package and you said you were trying to play the game. It is still worth a shot to try it.

great, thanks a bunch.

I disabled my antivirus and reinstalled the game, work fine now.
Just for interest, I though that the Kernel stuff had to do with hardware and how the operating system interacts with it....
What does it have to do with installing software?

the Kernel is the central module, or engine, of an application. It is the part that loads first and remains in main memory. In this case that would be for Installshield, which is an installer. When you install something which uses Installshield, it must load before starting the install. I assume that part ikernel is being blocked by the Antivirus for some reason.

Oh ok thanks. btw I was playing the game (Worms World Party) right now and I got the Blue Screen of Death for te first time with Xp.... good for me. Seems strange to since you can hardly say that Worms is very demanding of the machine or anything. It said that I shold check my hardware and stuff but I do have all the latest drivers and everything is as it should be...
Again, strange.:eek:

What was the error msg you got on the blue screen? This would help in figuring out what caused it. Since you were playing a game, I'm going to make a wild guess and say it is possibly the display driver which caused the error. Without knowing for sure, it is hard to give advice about it. If it happens again, copy down the error and post it here.

no,no,no. I wasnt playing a game. It happens ramdomly(but rarly). Im not going to worry about it, since im getting a new cpu,mobo, and ddr ram right now:grinthumb

I was actually refering to Refwhett's last post about his bluescreen while playing a game. I was only guessing about it being display drivers, knowing what file is listed in the error will tell us whether that was it or if it is something else.

Originally posted by Refwhett
and I got the Blue Screen of Death for te first time with Xp.... good for me. Seems strange to since you can hardly say that Worms is very demanding of the machine or anything. It said that I shold check my hardware and stuff but I do have all the latest drivers and everything is as it should be...

The majoritiy of the blue screens that happen in windows are due to either; a hdd going faulty, or windows essential load files being corrupted. My suggestion to you would be to try and re-install XP over the top of the existing. If problems still persist, grab some hdd testing utils from the manufacturer of the hdd.

Well many times in XP if you get a blue screen and have an Nvidia graphics card - the problem is that you need to try a different video card driver (as first mentioned in this thread by StormBringer). This "infinite loop" error has been discussed many times on these forums and if you type infinite loop into the search feature you will get some results explaining the issue in further detail.

Originally posted by El FreakO
The majoritiy of the blue screens that happen in windows are due to either; a hdd going faulty, or windows essential load files being corrupted. My suggestion to you would be to try and re-install XP over the top of the existing. If problems still persist, grab some hdd testing utils from the manufacturer of the hdd.

Actually, the majority of windows bluescreens are due to bad/poor drivers and memory errors.

Extensive experience with windows NT vs windows 9x will show you that NT OSes (NT, 2k, XP) are much more sensitive to stable memory then 9x is.

In XP, the only time I ever get a BSOD, it is due to my video card drivers, often with openGL.

well i got a differnet error that i need help with........im tryong to uninstall battlefield 1942 and i keep geting an error saying..

-------------------------------------------------------------------|
battlefield 1942 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------|
" An installation support file could not be installed" |
|
carastrophic failure |ok| |
--------------------------------------------------------------------
now that really sounds bad so wut do i do cuz i was uninstalling battlefield 1942 cuz when i run it , it wont play or anything it just shows the starting screen that says battlefield 1942 before my screen changes and then goes away and my computer is running like it was before...wut do i do??? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back