Exploding capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
PC Stats has an article about exploding capacitors.

While at first I dismissed it as a "one timer" I quickly changed my mind after looking at their poll where 40% out of 600 people said they have had a capacitor blow. Then after looking in their forums where also quite a few people said they had blown capacitors I got more interested...
As a side note The Inquirer ran a story this last October about this. If you put the words "Capacitor" in their search-engine the word "Abit" comes up quite frequently. So the plot thickens...

If you want to see more pics visit this site, which also (at a cost) can repair your mobo.

Be sure to post a comment if this has happened to you.

Abit + blown capaciter = me :(

Paid good money for a BF-6 and it blew up shotly after warranty expired

I Dont buy Abit anymore

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm sorry to hear that...

You could always send it to this guy to have it repaired for 50$...

Do you have any pics of it?

Usually, the maximum temperature for the capacitors is written in them, typically 85C or 105C. If they're too close to CPUs and MOSFETs, this is what happens. Bad quality components, maybe, but it can also be bad motherboard design.

I had a capacitor (i think) in my power supply blow just recently. Wasn't an Abit, think it was a John Deer? Not too sure, got an Antec now.
:D

A John Deer PSU?

I thought they made tractors and stuff :confused:

[size=1]Heh that's John Deere...[/size]

Still, that is the price of cheap components. Did you lose anything else from the power surge?

i too have an abit ak7-100 campasitor goo between. abit wants $25.00 BUT HOW MANY MILLIONS of mobo's thats a lot of moo-la . what a scam.
i still have 6 months before my warreny
runs out but abit didnt see that way
they went by the manufacturing date.
i will never buy any abit motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back