How often do you shutdown your computer?

• Everyday

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • At least twice within a week

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • A few times a month

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • What is shutdown? (Never)

Votes: 19 29.7%

• Total voters

SharkFiNbowL

Give some comments about shutting down computers. Is it better to shutdown daily or once a week? What is the your opinion, post it and share with us!

I never shut down my systems. I mean, I have a couple that are rarely used and they get shut off between uses but my main machines stay on 24/7. I sometimes shut down if there are tornado or hurricaine warnings.

There was a time when it made a difference in the life of components because of the warming and cooling, but I've not tested that theory lately to see if it still applies to modern technology.

I only shutdown for installation of new hardware and if there is a electrical storm. Myabe it's not good to have the computer on all the time cause maybe something will burn or so and the life of your computer will go down from 8 to 4 years... but anyway, i don't think many people change computer because they are so old the die.....

Shutdown - NEVER
Warm reboot -about 5 times a day

Not that BeOS is that unstable, I've kept it up for 3 weeks on another machine until its HDD died (very old machine), but that I just boot from BeOS into freeDOS into SuSE and back into BeOS a lot...

It is better to never shut down your system except in the case of storms. If there is a hurricane or other natural disaster then shutting down your PC isn't going to save it :).

I shut mine down at night, or when I go out, but only if the computer is not busy doing anything (e.g. downloading large files).

It doesn't do any harm to leave it running continuously, but it isn't very 'green' for the environment. Also, if you are going out, it is an extra risk leaving your PC switched ON as if it developed a fault and caught fire (not very likely, but not impossible), then there would be no one around to put it out.

I shut mine down at least daily because electricity is expensive out here on the left coast.:(

I haven't shut down my computer in a long time. Last time I did was to move it from school to home. I haven't had a problem with it yet and I don't feel it is that harmful.

Whenever I wont' be back within 24 hours I shut it off...
Other than that it's mostly on, as I don't like waiting 30 seconds (boot time) before I can use it...

Though it happens my farther asks me to turn it off due to the electrical price....

I never, ever, shut down any of my 10 active machines. My 16 inactive machines come up when I need them or am doing diagnostic works.

Some of these machines have been on 24 hours a day under 100% cpuload for half a decade with not one component failure. And they will still continue to do such for a long, looooong time...

26 PCs. with many at 100% load. What on earth are you doing with these?

I do hope you're not running a SPAM empire. :dead:

I never shut my computers down. I have 2.

I also never shut my workstation in the office down, either.

I think its bad for computers to be switched on and off all the time.

I only shut down for hardware maintainence, for cleaning or moving, or perhaps if there was an electrical storm.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
That's classified.

Heheh LOL I just noticed that post. I found it moderately funny, at least in my present state of consciousness anyway.... ;)

I've got 3 pc's in my room, plus a gigabit router, a adsl router, a cable modem, 3 screens, the laser mouse, the lights of all the lan cards and stuff plus the noise of the fans, and i'm just so used to it that when someone comes to my room the ask me how can i sleep in my room with that noise...... what noise are you talking about???

jejej. btw, what's so classified that you are doing there with all that pc's up 24h and at 100% cpu load?? just curious

Thats my reason DA, but im getting an SK7 with Stealth Vantec fan, that'll shut it up. Then I may permently leave it on 24/7.

Shut mine down only if my roommate and I are both going to be gone for more than a week. He connects through my computer (ICS) to get to the internet. I rebooted today because twice in the last week and a half my computer was unresponsive after being idle for over 8 hours. The screen was off and its like it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode, but I don't use sleep mode...

My computer is ALWAYS on. I never actually turn it off, I only reboot about three or four times a month after installing new programs/games and so on. Although it is tempting sometimes to turn it off, as my room can get reasonably warm with the door and windows closed :( (Don’t have or want A/C here in the UK). But in the winter I find it useful, it keeps me nice and warm :grinthumb !

Think about it. Millions of servers run every day that have been on for years. Lots of them have been on for over 10 years. So the fact is it doesn't hurt your computer to leave it on. I work for an ISP and we have computers running all day long obviously to keep the Internet going and they have been on for almost 3 years without being shut down.

Although there are other reasons to shut them down but as a regular user I wouldnt shut my computer down. If its storming or your going to be away for a while, that I can understand.

If you think about it, most systems now such as Athlon XP's and faster P4's run pretty hot. The heatsink and fan is what keeps them cool. When you power down the system the fan turns off and the processor is still hot and is not getting cooled. Thus a problem is created because the processor is sitting there and will actually get hotter for about 10 minutes because of no fan. Then it will begin to cool down. This cannot be good. You can sort of compare this to a car who's fan does not run after the car is turned off. It can't be good for most cars. It won't pose an immediate problem in most cases but can cause problems later on especially if the room temperatures are already above normal.

Computers are built to be on 24/7

But just like Julio I used to shut down my computer every night...
Though I leave it running now untill I do some modifications to the hardware configuration, or when there is a lightning storm...

Same goes for my comps in school, have three of them now that are on 24/7...

Originally posted by acidosmosis
If you think about it, most systems now such as Athlon XP's and faster P4's run pretty hot. The heatsink and fan is what keeps them cool. When you power down the system the fan turns off and the processor is still hot and is not getting cooled. Thus a problem is created because the processor is sitting there and will actually get hotter for about 10 minutes because of no fan. Then it will begin to cool down.
I don't buy that. How is the processor going to get any hotter when the power is turned off, the outer parts of the heatsink will get hotter because they no longer have that air blowing on them, that heat is comming from somewhere. That somewhere being the processor itself, so there is no way the processor itself is going to get any hotter when the power is turned off. Only the outer parts of the fins on the heatsink will.

I agree with SNGX1275, it's impossible that the processor gets hotter. First rule in thermal conduction is that materials always tend to nivelate their temperature. Once the processor doesn't receive any more power what will still be hot for some time will be the heatsink, but never hotter that when the pc is running.

Where I agree is in the point that turning on and off a pc wich consists of millions of transistors is bad. The temperature variations are so big that it must be bad for the hardware. If your turn on/off your computer for more than 2 or 3 times each day, then better turn it on in the morning, and power it down when you go to sleep.

In concern to the electricity use, I don't think that a computer in idle takes so much power. I'd rather watch one no to let any lights on in the house than shutting down the pc :)

Back