GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!! That card looks sweet. Bet you didn't think you'd here that from me :p . If I could navigate though your benchmark site olefarte, I'm sure I could say it performs sweet as well :) . I am excited :bounce::bounce: !

Sorry about the benchmarks. Seems like it's been changed since I posted it. If I remember right, the 5900 Ultra beat the 9800 Pro by about 1000 points on 3D Mark 03. At any rate it was quite a bit.

Edit: I'm beginning to wonder if these were fake benchmarks. I guess it wouldn't be the first time. I saw another French site that showed different benchmarks and two different Ultra models, an Ultra and an Ultra Det.

I saw a benchmark in which the fx 5900 ultra was around 2-300 points (3dmark03) ahead of the 9800 pro, but increased the lead to around a 1000 marks once it switched to det 50...

Maybe the first results are true, but the latter........

Found those benchmarks again. Still wondering if it's for real, if it is, I wonder what that bad boy Det 50 will cost. Can you say "Bank Loan"?

http://www.3dnewsnet.com/comments.php?reviewID=257

After reading this again, did I misunderstand the Det 50? I thought it was a seperate card, but it sounds like it's the 5900 Ultra with new "Det 50" drivers. I wonder, is it possible to get that much of a score increase with new drivers only?

God, the people commenting on there are full of crap!!! Look at them, contradicting themselves... just read my comment to see my feelings which I cannot express on TechSpot.

Originally posted by olefarte
After reading this again, did I misunderstand the Det 50? I thought it was a seperate card, but it sounds like it's the 5900 Ultra with new "Det 50" drivers. I wonder, is it possible to get that much of a score increase with new drivers only?

Yes, the Det 50 means it's running the Detonator 50 drivers.. It's not yet another card...

Timmore> Which comment was yours (i.e. what did you call yourself)? I can't seem to find it...

Here we go again speaking of benchmarks. Yet, benchmarks don't show how well your system will run the card when it comes to actual GAMING FPS. I still fail to see the logic in this.

We might as well say my Toyota Camry can outrun my brothers 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra, just because my car is louder.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
... benchmarks don't show how well your system will run the card when it comes to actual GAMING FPS ...
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that last comment. Benchmarks do give an indication of how a card will perform, since the benchmarks use the features of a card, much as a game does.

I think what is mean't is that benchmarks can be misleading, and its true that you really need to look at a variety of benchmarks to get a full and realistic view of how a card will perform with a variety of games. Much of this is due to the fact that all games are different and will use a card in different ways, so a mix of benchmarks will give a more appropriate analysis. We are all aware that the current crop of Radeon cards are good performers in games, and this is also indicated in benchmarks.

As to the performance improvement with the Detonator 50 drivers, I would not expect that all nVidia cards will show the same performance increase, which in the case of the FX5900 is mostly due to the fact that these are the first drivers that offically support the new card and take full advantage of its modified architecture.

Despite what most all of us say, that the way the game runs, is more important than benchmarks, I believe we still look at benchmarks to help influence us when we buy a new card.

Granted, a benchmark may/does not truly represent a game, but it also gives the manufacturers, if no one else somthing to look at in trying to improve the performance of there cards. Look what happened to nVidia when 3D Mark 03 came out. Not saying there cards are inferior, but they had very low scores compared to ATi, and they worked to improve there drivers and therefore give there cards better gameplay, (at least I guess, I don't own one now). But I also heard they made drivers just for 3D Mark 03, not really to improve game perfromance, but I think that's over and done with and ther new drivers are for gaming performance.

The logic of the two cars racing; If these were both put on a dynamometer, the one with the most horsepower and torque (read benchmark) would win, all other things being equal. But as in video cards, all other things are not equal, (I know, I used to do a lot of drag racing). Different games play differently, but usually higher benchmarks, tend to mean all games in general will have better gameplay.

Not being a true fanboy of either nVidia or ATi, I suppose when I get another card, if they are both $400, the benchmarks would have a lot to do with what I bought, especially if they were 500 or 1000 points different.

I commented as timmoore, it's not really worth the read but I would just like to make my opinion clear. Maybe if you did a search on that page for timmoore since there are so many comments at the moment... Very stick topic, all the NVIDIA fans overjoyed and the ATi fans angry - that's if the information is true of course ;) .

Hehe... I can see what you mean about not being able to state that here, and it not really worth the read ;) :D

I think I'll leave it at that, since it's no reason to continue that discussion....
You're quite right in calling it a very sticky topic...

I thought I read on the enquirer that the det 50 drivers were nvideas attempt to pass ATI because of their misserable failer with the NV30,I got tired of waiting and bought A 9700pro but am going to get A NV35 when available,score on madonion 2001se now is 15968

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back