GeForce4 MX for PCI Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Noticed this article over at xbitlabs.com:

In order to make the installation of the GeForce4 to the PCI-slot possible, PNY Technologies company has announced a PCI videocard version based on GeForce4 MX 420 chip. It is the youngest chip of the new graphic processors line from NVIDIA. The core frequency is 250MHz. The card has a 64 Mb SDRAM (a further use of DDR is possible) working at a 166 MHz. The chip will have a TV-out. The cost of the newcomer should not exceed 150 Euro.

Full article: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1015973705

Question is, how many mobos out there that aren't equipped with an AGP port? And why bother???

Originally posted by young&wild
What's the point of having the card attached to PCI when AGP is faster than PCI?

Their reason is that not all mobos have AGP slots...

The Geforce4 MX is bandwidth impaired compared to geforce3 or full Geforce4 so putting it on the PCI bus shouldn't really reduce performance much more. I guess this gives people with old motherboards, or ones from Compaq and the likes with onboard graphics and no AGP the chance to upgrade

Hopefully by doing so, they won't ruin their own brand coz of low performing gfx cards...

Since the GF4MX is essentially a GF2MX, and they already exist in PCI form, I can't see any problem.

As for people not needing PCI cards, what about all the people with PCChips Boards, or Packard Bell computers.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
Since the GF4MX is essentially a GF2MX, and they already exist in PCI form, I can't see any problem.

As for people not needing PCI cards, what about all the people with PCChips Boards, or Packard Bell computers.

Not to mention a lot of Dells and HPs. I've got an 800 MHz Dell in the office with integrated graphics on the AGP and therefore no AGP slot.

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Not to mention a lot of Dells and HPs. I've got an 800 MHz Dell in the office with integrated graphics on the AGP and therefore no AGP slot.

Reminds me of the Dell I'm using at work. A Dell OptiPlex 150. A really cute and small workstation. It does its job coz everyone's packed into one tight spot where I sit and it uses laptop CD drives which could be a pain in the neck if it dies.

Actually, there are many mobo's without AGP slots. Think of AT cases, many mobos designed for AT didn't have AGP (if any). Any people still with those dinosaurs might want to upgrade to a new video card, and since the g4MX is so cheap, and they slapped the "4" moniker on it, people might just buy it. Although I think there logic is a little skewed since most people with that old of computer should throw it away, and spend 800$ on a new 'puter.

Personaly, even thought the GF4 MX is supposed to be a budget card, I don't think they should have put the "4" on it. It makes it look really good, and it isn't. But that has already been discussed I believe in other threads.

Mostly people with AT Boards have either Slot1 PII/PIII systems, or AMD K6-2/3 Systems. Both of which are still very capable systems for playing the good majority of games on. Why should they be denied the opportunity of a newer graphics card?

BTW My local rip-off merchant seems to be selling GF4MX440's for £170 !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back