Fan inside thePSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuGeek247

Ive had my PSU which is a 450 watt psu for a while. The thing is the fan inside is loud. I opened it up and its not a regular connection. The fan wire is saudered to the board. SO i was thinking of cutting the fan wire and replacing the fan with a vantec stealthier fan. You think that would be a prob? I have cut wires before on other fans to make 2 fans go under the control of one knob. so I know what im doing. Hopefully i hope i know what im doing. IS there anything i should know before i do this. I recieve my fan on monday.

The fan in your PSU will have been specially selected to provide sufficient cooling for the PSU electronics (when running at max load). Using a different fan is possible, but if you fit one that does not provide sufficient cooling you will burn out your PSU. If you want a quieter PSU then buy one designed for the purpose (with variable speed fan that adjusts to the load on your PSU). Your choice if you care to risk it. :cool:

I say go for it...you've already voided the warranty by opening it up! Just make sure it moves enough air to properly cool the PSU. If the fan grill is stamped into the psu case then you can also quiet it down a bit by cutting out that area and replacing it with a wire fan grill. This should create less air turbulence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back