Comp Specs What You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

Very High Performance P4

Intel Pentium 4 (800 FSB) Motherboard Model BOXD865PERLK - RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU:Supports Intel Pentium 4 processor with a 400/533/800MHz (mPGA478-pin)Supports Hyper-threading
Chipset: Intel 865PE
IDE:2x IDE
RAM: Double Data Rate DDR400 support
Slots:1 x AGP 8X, and 5 x PCI
Ports:2xPS2, 4x USB, Firewire (see pics)
Onboard SATA:2
Onboard LAN: Gigabit 10/100/1000 Intregrated
Onboard Audio: Intergrated 6 Channel Audio

Intel Pentium 4 / 3.0CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 3.0GHz
Type: Pentium 4 Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 800 Mhz
Socket: 478
Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
3-year MFG. Warranty

VANTEC AeroFlow VP4-C7040. For Intel P4 478. Retail.
Vantec Vertical Aluminum Fins with Copper Core Heat sink + T.M.D. fan, and triple clip for secure instalation.
Specifications:
Supported Socket type:p4 478
Material: Aluminum with copper
Fan Speed: 5600 RPM
Air Flow: 35.5 CFM
Bearing type: T.M.D.
Dimensions 74.5x87.5x60 (mm)
Life Cycle: 80,000 Hrs. (Comes with thermal Compound)

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 250GB 7200RPM 8MB EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD2500JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
Size: 250 Gigabytes
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Seek time: 8.9ms
RPM:7200
Cache 8MB
OEM(Drive alone) 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LL With Black Heat Spreader.Retail QTY 2
Specifications:
Speed 400 MHz
Organization 2 x 64M x 64
CAS Latency 2-2-2-6-T1
Memory type DDR
Part number: TWINX1024-3200LL

Samsung CDRW 52x24x52 Combo 16x DVD (Black) 2mb Cache, Model SM-352BENB - OEM
Specifications:
Interface: EIDE
Data Transfer Rate:
Read CD : 52X (7,800 KB/sec)
Read DVD : 16X (21,600 KB/sec)
Record CD : 52X (7,800 KB/sec)
Rewrite CD : 24X (3,600 KB/sec)
Buffer Memory OEM Pack: 2MB
Burst Transfer Rate PIO Mode 4 (16.6MB/sec) UDMA Mode 2 (33.3MB/sec)
Average Access Time DVD : 120ms CD : 110ms
Adopting Superlink (Buffer Under Run Proof Technology)
OEM Pack

*BLACK* PANASONIC 1.44 MB DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, MODEL # JU-256A-198P - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Specifications:
25.4mm (1 inch) height
High reliability with aluminium diecast base
Long life with direct drive spindle motor
OEM Drive only BLACK Bezel - One Year Warranty

ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB DVI/TV 8X AGP OEM
Specifications:
Chipset:ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Memory:256MB DDR RAM
Bus:AGP 8X
256-bit memory interface
First to fully support DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality
New SMARTSHADER 2.1 technology allows users to experience complex, movie-quality effects in next-generation 3D games and applications
128-bit floating-point color precision allows for a greater range of colors and brightness
Ports: VGA + DVI + S-Video

Ideal High Performance Athlon XP

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail
Socket A AMD Athlon XP/Duron (support AMD XP 3200+ "Barton")
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T
FSB: 400/333/266MHz
IDE: 2 x ATA133
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM Sockets (PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR)
Slots: 1x AGP (Pro/8X), 5x PCI
Ports: 6x USB2.0
Onboard Silicon Image Sil 3112A Controller w/ 2 ports
NVIDIA SoundStorm Audio Processor Unit with Dolby
MCP integrated 3Com MAC + Broadcom AC101L PHY LAN
Firewire 1394: 2 Ports MCP-T integrated IEEE 1394a + Realtek PHY 8801

AMD ATHLON XP 3200 "Barton" 400MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 2.2 GHz
Type: XP 3200 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2
BUS: 400MHz
Socket A
RETAIL (Included Heatsink and fan)

Seagate 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160023AS - OEM
Specifications:
Size: 160 Gigabytes
Interface: Serial ATA
Seek time: 9ms
RPM:7200
Data Transfer: 150MB/sec
Cache 8MB
(OEM See pic) 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty: Requires additional Power adapter

VANTEC's STEALTH SF8025L
80x80x25mm / 3.15x3.15x0.98" Fan, 2-Ballbearing, DC 12V, 1.20W, 0.10 Amp, 2050 RPM, 27.0 CFM, 3-pin with 3/4-pin adaptor.

Thermalright SLK-900-U ( Heatsink ONLY ). All Copper heat spread. AMD: Athlon XP Palamino, Thoroughbred, and Barton 2800+ and up. Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 3.06 GHz and above. Dimension: L99 x W59 x H45 (mm) - Top, without fan. L67 x W81 x H45 (mm) - Bottom, without fan.Retail.

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LL With Black Heat Spreader.Retail
Specifications:
Speed 400 MHz
Organization 2 x 64M x 64
Memory type DDR

Sapphire ATI RADEON 9700 Atlantis PRO 128MB DDR,325/310, DVI/TV-out/CRT AGP BULK
Specifications:
Chipset:RADEON 9700Pro Visual processing unit (VPU)
Memory:128MB DDR, 256-bit memory
Eight parallel rendering pipelines
Four parallel geometry engines
Bus: AGP 8X support
Ports: VGA + DVI + S-Video Out
OS Support: Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP Powered by ATI, Manufactured by Sapphire

Everything else is probably preference and what you want to do with it, ie., case, cdrom drives, floppy, lighting, etc.

*****I just realized I edited this post by mistake, I was supposed to edit a different one with specs, oh well.*****

>Also, do you think that 430W PSU will work for supporting my crazy ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB, motherboard, processor, crazy CPU fan, crazy memory, etc?

No, not that particular 430W PSU. I definately would not recommend it, unless of course you want your PSU to blow up one day. I suggest a Enermax PSU. You could probably even get by easily with a 350w Enermax PSU. I use one myself and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm not sure about the power requirements of the 9800 pro compared to the 9700 pro but I'm sure its not THAT much of a difference.

Although as far as the rest of the components your planning on putting in this system(s) I would say go for a Enermax 430w to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

I recon that PSU would do you fine, but if your going to go spend 2.3K on a computer, you gotta have a good, decent, power supply. It should cost you at least $100. Hopefully more! Just remember - You pay for what you get ;)

As for spex, I would go with AMD. Personally I love 'em, never had a prob, great CPUs. They're 3200+ out does (if not on par) with the 3Ghz P4, and from memory, is practically the same price. Stick that with an A7N8x and you'll be going.

I just went to new egg, your mobo is same price as an A7N8x, so I guess its personal prefrence as far as your 3Ghz P4/3200+ goes, however just being me, I'd go AMD...

Im not sure if you really need 2GBs of RAM, 1 is plenty.

As far as the HDs go, Im not sure with that mobo, but if you got a A7N8x, that board has support for striping on its SATA ports. Why dont you go AMD, so you can get that board, and stripe 2 100GB SATA HDs? That'd be even faster!

Just my $.02 cents...

Originally posted by ---agissi---

As for spex, I would go with AMD. Personally I love 'em, never had a prob, great CPUs. They're 3200+ out does (if not on par) with the 3Ghz P4, and from memory, is practically the same price. Stick that with an A7N8x and you'll be going.

I just went to new egg, your mobo is same price as an A7N8x, so I guess its personal prefrence as far as your 3Ghz P4/3200+ goes, however just being me, I'd go AMD...

Im not sure if you really need 2GBs of RAM, 1 is plenty.

As far as the HDs go, Im not sure with that mobo, but if you got a A7N8x, that board has support for striping on its SATA ports. Why dont you go AMD, so you can get that board, and stripe 2 100GB SATA HDs? That'd be even faster!

Just my $.02 cents...

All well, its actually up to do you how much you are willing to pay. If you can afford, go intel. Me and Agissi, the dependents of our parents prefer AMD due to reasonable price:performance ratio.

Perhaps XtR-X wants to launch a rocket using his 2BG RAM pc Agissi ;)! 1 to 1.5GB looks sufficient for some video editing and hell more than enough for gaming. 2GB is a bit overdoing.

HDD is a great choice, fast and nice with a 8mb cache. Based on my experience WD is reliable.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
No, not that particular 430W PSU. I definately would not recommend it, unless of course you want your PSU to blow up one day. I suggest a Enermax PSU. You could probably even get by easily with a 350w Enermax PSU.

Although as far as the rest of the components your planning on putting in this system(s) I would say go for a Enermax 430w to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

I was having problems with cold boots on my 2100+ @ 200x10 (2Ghz). I switched from 350w Enermax to 550w Antec and the problem went...
Up until that point the Enermax had served me well but for newer systems I would definitely go with > 350w.

The system that I couldn't cold boot with 350w Enermax was :

Athlon XP 2100+ @ 200x10
Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2
512mb OCZ EL-DDR PC3500
Sapphire 9700 Pro 128mb
Creative Audigy 2
2 x 40gb Seagate Barracuda IV 7200rpm

Just reinforcing what Acid said, go for a >400w branded PSU. Tomshardware recently did a round up and some unbranded or lesser branded PSUs blew up before they got to their rated power output :dead:

I have that system but with 480w enermax.after doing some research I found that a lower PSU might not give you the right watts for your ram.That is one nice system hope your happy with it.Next system might be AMD 64 bitt

Say I had a processor with a 266MHz FSB, and the RAM was 333MHz. The RAM would not actually be run at 333MHz because
the processor only has a 266mhz, it cannot communicate with the memory at 333mhz. It is impossible for the processor to do (at least without overclocking it).

Theres something for you to think about, and no you will not find anything with a 800mhz FSB for a long time. Do your favor and don't waste your money on the P4 with 800MHz FSB.

I can't begin to understand why you people pay $100-200 MORE for a processor that is the same speed as an AMD that cost $100-200 LESS. Makes no sense at all.

I can't begin to understand why you people pay $100-200 MORE for a processor that is the same speed as an AMD that cost $100-200 LESS. Makes no sense at all.

it makes sense if you value rock solid stability which is what you get more often with the P4 and the intel chipsets than you do with AMD and via or nforce chipsets.

AMD processors are fine but via chipsets are buggy and so far although they are a step in the right direction the Nforce boards exhibit problems of their own. hopefully the next version will be more mature than the previous two.

overall the biggest thing that holds amd back is the lack of top notch chipsets that the P4's have available to them. Intel realized long ago that if you are in the processor business you are in the chipset business as well.

The reason why I'm shooting for P4 is because of performance and reliability through experience. Sure, I've had an AMD based processor but it was the best, such a bad experience. I've had Intel processors for a long time and I prefer them.

And anyways:

Say I had a processor with a 266MHz FSB, and the RAM was 333MHz. The RAM would not actually be run at 333MHz because
the processor only has a 266mhz, it cannot communicate with the memory at 333mhz. It is impossible for the processor to do (at least without overclocking it).

Theres something for you to think about, and no you will not find anything with a 800mhz FSB for a long time. Do your favor and don't waste your money on the P4 with 800MHz FSB.

Actually, memory should be fine because the FSB on the P4 3.0 is QUAD-PUMPED, 4 times 200mhz so it should be just fine (right?).

I agree a little over-doing on the memory, I've gotten carried away because right now I use 512MB DDR on my comp and it just aint enough. I have memturbo which helps a bit but with all the stuff I do, run a HLS (half-life server), programs opened, downloading taking place, firewall and antivirus (gotta have em), 512 wont cut it, I was thinking about 1gig but I thought I should go the whole 9 yards. So, I'm sticking with 1 gig.

As far as PSUs, Antec or Enermax? I've always been a fan of antec but dunno, maybe enermax.

But actually, I set a $2,000 line to myself and I don't really want to go overboard it that much. I guess eliminating half the memory I can purchase a decent-exceptional power supply.

Also, any suggestions on building a good dedicated server for counter-strike for under $300?

Originally posted by XtR-X
Also, any suggestions on building a good dedicated server for counter-strike for under $300?

Its a little over $300, once you put in S&H, but its not a bad PC at all...:

$302.50

- (CPU): AthlonXP 1700+: $43
- (Cooling): Volcano 7: $15
- (Motherboard): K7S5A: $50
- (Hard Drive): WD 7200RPM 40GB: $61
- (Memory): Generic 256MB PC2700 DDR: $29
- (Video Card): Aopen GeForce2 MX 400: $34
- Case (w/250W generic PSU): $39
- Floppy Drive: $7
- (CD-ROM): BenQ Black CD-ROM: $16.50
- Keyboard: Samsung: $4
- Mouse: USB Scroll Mouse: $4

I have it in Word Doc, with all the text of the hardware, as links the the item. So if you want it, lemme know ;)

If you want to cut down some costs I would subsitute a 120GIG hard drive for the 250GB. I can't see you ever possibly being able to use 250GB unless your going to be doing some video editing, 3D animation, sound recording/editing, etc. Those types of jobs require a huge hard drive if your going to be doing it frequently, but a normal person like you running a counter strike server will never be able to use that much space. I have a 120GB hard drive myself and I *do* video editing, sound recording, 3d modeling/animation, have tons of games installed, etc and I still have about 90% of my space left.

The Antec 1080 is a great case. I own the Antec Plusview 1080AMG with the pre-installed Window. It's not a good case to go with if you want to install a Window yourself though. Though Antec has a case just like it without the pre-installed Window so you have both options.

The Radeon 9800 Pro is bit pricey at the moment to only gain a few FPS from the 9700 Pro. Your paying over $400 for a 9800 Pro and a 9700 Pro is about $260 right now. In the future when drivers have created improved performance for the 9800 Pro it should be worth it. With this system you are planning on buying you will get very high performance with the 9700 Pro, pretty high over what the human eye can detect, so you have to ask yourself is it worth the price for the 9800 Pro. Normally your eye can 'notice' about 50-60FPS at the most, and anything higher isn't really going to make that much of a difference. I guess depending on the size of your monitor possibly and its refresh rate though I'm not sure.

Just evaluate what you want to spend and what your going to need the system for in the next 2 years and making a decision based on that criteria should help you get the best system for your needs.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
Normally your eye can 'notice' about 50-60FPS at the most, and anything higher isn't really going to make that much of a difference. I guess depending on the size of your monitor possibly and its refresh rate though I'm not sure.

I thought the human eye cant detect framerates faster then 24 FPS. I cant anyways, 30FPS looks just as smooth as 130FPS :rolleyes:

Hey ---agissi---, do you think I could have that word doc or something?
And thanks alot for going out of your way just to look it up.

If you want to cut down some costs I would subsitute a 120GIG hard drive for the 250GB. I can't see you ever possibly being able to use 250GB unless your going to be doing some video editing, 3D animation, sound recording/editing, etc.

Well, the big hard drive is because I have a friend, well since this forum doesn't like to talk about warez, yeah do the math. Let just say, I went to his house with a 80GB HD with 70GB free space and came back with 1.5GBs of free space. Maybe 250GB is a little too much, I guess I can kick off a hundred bucks there.

Ok then, I guess it's time to change my video card. Now this is what I need:
- extreme performance in gaming and everything else
- ability to play movies in exceptional quality from the computer to a TV
- something that performs exceptionally under high to extremely high resolutions (RAM size is what matters here, thats what I read).

Given that, what video card do I get?

When are you planning on building this thing?
And what video card do you have now?
Because ATi is workin on the R360 and R420....... the R420, 'codename Loki' is supposedly two times faster than the 9800Pro..... so like, do some research on that, find out when it's coming out... if its soon, and you wanna build your rig, build it, and pop in your existsing video card for now if it's still ok... then get the big boi when it comes out....
That's if you want extreme.... :D

I have to build it buy the end of July. I'm selling this computer I'm typing this message on to my uncle who lives in Mexico and his family is coming over for a visit and when they leave, they're taking my computer with them.

As far as the R360 and R420, I feel guilty not being able to wait for them.

Dang... that's too bad...
When those things come out, they'll probably drop the prices on the 9700 and 9800...
Buying progressive hardware is never fun...
The 9800 should Do You Right... i mean, it performs along side the others now... but later on, when the goings get tough, that thing will stay consistant as a bug... and massive resolutions is what it's made for right?... you thinking of overclocking that thing? Cuz doesn't it have a lower clock than the 9600? Check out some overclocks of it, see how it does then... I'm sure it should do fine... ATi chips always try stay fairly cool... it's all about money... you got it? You want to spend it? Then go for it...

I'm trying to cut back a little price on my whole deal I'm buying. I was wondering if there was anything else that could get the job done that I stated a few posts back.

I too have always been an Nvidia fan, but right now ATi have the goods. Dont get a 9800, its merely better then the 9700, and costs +/-$100 more. The 9700 is exactly what you described

"performance in gaming and everything else
- ability to play movies in exceptional quality from the computer to a TV
- something that performs exceptionally under high to extremely high resolutions ".

Not to mention, by the time the next Readon comes out, drops in price, its going to be another 4 months!

The videos ram does come into play when using very high resolutions (some what physcial, but 2GBs wont do you any better then 1GB), but I think 128MBs of vRAM is ample. Is 1920x1440 extreamly high to you? I just dont think the 256MB card is worth how much it costs.

Np on getting that list for you, however it did take like 90 minutes...because I always look for the best deals, instead of getting ripped off, so I may spend 20 minz just looking up a good cpu...PM me your e-mail address, and i'll get you that word doc ;)

Tell me if this PC appeals to you, its similar to what you have listed:

$1503+ $60 (S&H)=$1563

- CPU: Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2GHz 400FSB: $442

- Cooling: Thermalright SLK-900-U ( Heatsink ONLY ): $47

- Motherboard: A7N8X: $130

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM: $167 SATA ( SERIAL ATA Power Adaptor. ): $5

- Memory: Corsair TWINX1024-2700LLPT 1GB DDR333 XMS2700 Dual-Channel Memory: $255

- Video Card: Sapphire ATI RADEON 9700 ATLANTIS PRO 8X: $292

- Case: X-Dreamer ATX Mid-Tower Case w/Window - Black w/350watt PSU: $65

- Drive: $7

- CD-RW: Samsung DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo Drive: $73

- 80mm Case Fan: Quad LED – Blue: $2.50 (x8)= $20

Maybe get that? Bigger HD, 1GB SDDDR, 9700 PRO, that 3200+ outperforms the 3.06Ghz P4! Not in the HT deparment ofviously, but else where yes :D Burner/DVD Combo drive - the goods. If you live in the USA, i'll even build it for ya, if you have $100 to spare, pay me with paypal or something, i'll ship it to you and vulla. But im sure you want to bulid it :blush:

Thanks for spending so much time on doing reserach for me, now that's what I call being really friendly.

Um, I kindly accept your offer on building the PC for me but I will have to reject that, I recently built a Athlon XP 3000+ A7N8X Deluxe system for my friend from scratch, for $50, I'm proud of myself :). I think I can tackle down another AMD based system again. Yeah, I want to build it, that's what makes custom PC building fun.

My email is xtreme3_x3@hotmail.com.

I'd like to see both specs, thanks alot!

Thats very true nic, its my income. I do that, and make websites. Im currently making 2 websites, which are pulling 320$/yr. not too shabby for a 14 yr old eh? beats working at McDonalds for $5 an hour! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back