What personal broadband type are you using?

What broadband type do you use?

• DSL (all variations)

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Cable Modem

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Satellite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wireless

• ISDN/Other dedicated

• None

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cromrell

Sorry if I'm in the wrong area...

I'm currently using MSN DSL (640K) always on w/ Cisco 678 router.
We're not hosting anything and primary use is basic web browsing, and the occasional pcAnywhere/Terminal Server into work.

I'm moving to a new house and wanted to explore broadband options available to me:
DSL (MSN, Earthlink, etc)
Cable Modem (Comcast)
Wireless (new)
Satellite
ISDN/Other dedicated

Any suggestions? Wireless is looking to be the best value, but haven't gotten specs on equipment costs, etc.

Thanks for your help.

-C

Adelphia Cable. Running faster than a T1, very satisfied.

Though, I used to use ADSL.

I m using ADSL @ 256K/64K and my isp is iiNet, a company you guys will probably not have heard off. Its Australian so wouldn't be a use to you.

Getting a cable aint bad after all, you get speeds of up to 512K or even 1500k depending on your provider.

These two links below may help you in choosing the rigth ISP, all are reviews about a variety of ISPs.
i) www.broadbandreports.com
ii) www.dslreports.com

Hope this might help you!

Just a little advice, if you don't plan on doing any gaming or hardcore downloading then I wouldn't get an upgraded package. The basic one is perfect for email and inet, there is no point in spending the money for an upgrade if you aren't going to use it.

I have cable from NTL, and I guess its not bad.

I do find that if I have one particularly strong download stream going at about 100kbps (the fastest I seem to get on a single stream anytime) then everything slows down a great deal, even although I have 600kbps bandwidth.

Apparently DSL does not have these kinds of problems.... I couldn't really in all honest comment, though.

ADSL

3MBit Down / 128 KBit UP (yea, sux !)

10 GB transfer / month (DOWN + UP) allowed for $35 / month

5 extra GB are $5

Home LAN with an ADSL Modem / Router (ASUS), a switch & stuff ...

As I've said above, I'm extremely stasfied. When I download, it's usually near the mid 300kB/s range. But my upload is a miserable 30kB/s.

ADSL

5 extra GB are $5

Oh man, that sucks, they make you pay for bandwidth, omg, and I thought webservers were the only ones.

Originally posted by DigitAlex
ADSL

5 extra GB are $5

Home LAN with an ADSL Modem / Router (ASUS), a switch & stuff ...

OH NO!!!!! DOWNLOAD LIMITS!!!! CURSE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!

They've talked about that on my service provider (NTL).

The most they got was trying to say that if you ever went over about 1 GB download today for a long time, they were going to call your home and ask you not to.

No one ever has. In fact, they seem to have basic problems even knowing my mac address or how much bandwidth I have.

However, if anyone ever phones, I will laugh very hard at them and then threaten to ditch them for ASDL from BT. And NTL get a lot of money every month from my for combined phone, TV and cable modem service. They would only be shooting themselves in the foot and I would be telling them this.

I have pretty slow cable. 256/128. but I don't have download limits. cost is $35/mo, comparatively my old dialup was $20/mo. When the lines get upgraded here, I'll be able to opt for the 512/128 which is $45/mo or the 1.2Mbit/256 which is $60/mo. I think I'll stick with what I have for a while

Yeah, its best not to tamper with it as far as possible. Getting things changed can backfire as well....

I have a 1.5Mb/128Kb line. It is pretty nice, can go about 150KB/s constant from a single source. The upload sucks, but if someone wants something from me they will just have to wait it out.

I also only pay 29.95/month because it comes at a discount with my phone.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
I have a 1.5Mb/128Kb line. It is pretty nice, can go about 150KB/s constant from a single source. The upload sucks, but if someone wants something from me they will just have to wait it out.

I also only pay 29.95/month because it comes at a discount with my phone.

That sounds VERY similar to mine, at 600 kbps, however I get only around 100 kbps or so from a single source. My upload is nonsense (about 10 - 20 kpbs) but its enough to ftp things to work like smaller files and so forth like documents and exported address books and favourites, notes and so forth.

512down/128up cable modem
Unlimited usage, I make the most of it too. I get lots of large files from VPNing into my university's network.

Mine is 49 bucks a month, by itself. Though, we're paying a special plan which is 60 bucks a month, for cable tv and internet.

I'm really paying like $25 for faster than T1 and no download limit :)

Well guys I honestly prefer 3mbit download limited than 512 unlimited ....

just depends of ones needs and habits ;)

Guess so alex, cause I'd much rather have 512 and be able to dl all kinds of stuff. My DU meter log for July is showing I have downloaded 18.93 gigs so far. (its actually a bit lower than that because for a while I had it counting my VPN connection as well so when I was on the VPN things were doubled, but 18.93 isnt' that far off).
If I had a 3Mbps connection and a 10 gig limit I'd have been screwed by the 4th or something. :)

I've got ADSL, 512/256. Actually get about 430/215. $50 a month, no restrictions. I've had cable which was advertised at about the same speed, for the same price. It wasn't bad until peak periods and then it slowed to a crawl. ADSL stays steady all the time.

yeah, you are guaranteed

your bandwidth..........but at half that price, and t3 speed, in my area, i rarely drop to dsl levels...........just the breaks, i guess

I'm using DSL, 10Mbps/download, no limits to down/up loading. pkged with telephone in a huge metropolitan city. Have never had any problems at all with DSL. My sister in S.F., CA uses cable and I don't see much difference in our up/download times. I seem to recall though that she has more bottlenecks. I've never had any noticeable slowdowns with my service. My 'puter is on pretty much 24/7 since there is always something going on even when I'm not at my desk.

Originally posted by DigitAlex
Well guys I honestly prefer 3mbit download limited than 512 unlimited ....

just depends of ones needs and habits ;)

Yeah, the needs and erh... habbits. :D

I would blow all that bandwidth in one day.

Originally posted by cromrell
...Wireless is looking to be the best value, but haven't gotten specs on equipment costs, etc.

Well, I just got back from a weeks vacation (waterskiing near Spokane, WA)

Heritage ISP was looking to be a good value ($39.99 for 600k-1.2mb via 802.11b wireless)

The local franchize guys were out last night, but couldn't find a strong enough signal. They'll be back next week with some stronger equipment but it doesn't look good.

I'll likely stick w/ MSN aDSL @ Home & XO T1 @ Work.

C

i have adsl, 1500kbps down/512kbps up unlimited. $37.95 a month
my isp is telus, of course you never heard of them, they are the bigggest telecom company in canada. verizon has a big stake in them, as does motorola

hey Crybabytek, whos your isp? i love some bandwith that big

Stay away from Comcast, I hear they are soon going to be charging for downloads after a certain limit (not sure what the limit is yet).

I am personally on cable, no types of restrictions on downloads and such, AND get it for 5.00 a month! :grinthumb :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back