Geforce Ti 4200 Vs FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshay

Hello friends,
I need some advice regarding which video card to buy. I ordered this FX5200 with 128 mb DDR ram, and the vendor shipped Ti4200 with 128 ram. The system seems to be running almost at the same speed, but there is little bit of difference. I just need some more views to decide about returning the ti4200 or just keeping it.
By the way this board rocks, they saved my life, the MSBlaster got into my system, and I could get rid of it because of the advice I got on this forum.

Keep the 4200 as its a better card than the 5200. Don't worry about DX9 support as the 5200 isn't fast enough for it anyway, and neither card is fast enough for the latest/upcoming games, but ample for many older games with all features turned on. You're one lucky guy.

yeah the 4200 is mutch better. i thinks its even beter than the fx5600 256mb witch i have currently

Good call - Although the 4200 may not have all the new pixel and vertex shaders, it does perform a lot better on games like RTCW and some others than the FX5200 and 5600 Ultra.

I not really into playing games, but I do use my comp for 3d Renderings, and FX5200 seemed faster, so is it possible that Ti is better for games and FX is better for texturing, and hi resolution rendering...

but what if you did return it...could you get the 4200 for cheaper then you got the 5200?

the 5200 is much cheaper than the 4200.

by the way, i'm in vancouver... and they don't sell G4Ti's anymore. =(

oh well. the fx series isn't that good. off to radeon.

bring on the DetonatorFX 52.14s
bring back the ruling image quality players
bring back the crown of the graphics kingdom
bring on NVIDIA

from anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1896&p=18
"It is important to note that anyone out there running the current 45.23 Detonators will get something along the lines of a 65% performance increase with no loss in image quality for the FX series of cards with the new 52 series of drivers due out late this month."

nvidia have successfully uped there FX performance to similar or better than the radeons im most cases all through a driver update - and the image quality is still better. I seem to be remembering the Ge2 GTS and the driver revision that suddenly kicked the ATi rival out of the game

i think charles i can totally truthfully and utterly unbiasedly (good word or wot?) say you are totally and utterly WRONG!

LONG LIVE NVIDIA!

Steg

TI VS FX

I too have a decision to make I have a Ti 4600 installed but was given a FX 5200 for X-mass. I know there was a big difference in price, one being $400 the other $99 but price doesn't always denote better peformance especially when NVidia releases new cards.
One more thing, my Ti4600 came clocked at 300 core clock and 650 memory clock I have yet to find any other cards advertised at these high speeds, anyone have any ideas as to why this is.
Thanks

Originally posted by Steg
bring on NVIDIA

"It is important to note that anyone out there running the current 45.23 Detonators will get something along the lines of a 65% performance increase with no loss in image quality for the FX series of cards with the new 52 series of drivers due out late this month."

nvidia have successfully uped there FX performance to similar or better than the radeons im most cases all through a driver update - and the image quality is still better. I seem to be remembering the Ge2 GTS and the driver revision that suddenly kicked the ATi rival out of the game

i think charles i can totally truthfully and utterly unbiasedly (good word or wot?) say you are totally and utterly WRONG!

LONG LIVE NVIDIA!

Steg

Instead of lisyening to the Nvidia PR machie at work, try listening to actual performance...rather the lack of....The only FX worth getting is the FX5900TX/SE, although the FX5700 is a nice card, it's too much $$ for what it gives....

The FX drivers do indeed stink at DX9, as they alwys have and always will. It's not the drivers, it's the hardware, please keep your fanboism off this fine site:)

Back on topic, the Ti4200 is about 1/3 faster than the FX5200. Keep the Ti4200 it is a far better card than the FX5200:grinthumb

Originally posted by Steg
bring on NVIDIA

LONG LIVE NVIDIA!

Steg

You should not take third party sources of information so seriously. I like Anandtech, but their statement is quite wrong.

The 52.16 drivers have application specific optimizations (e.g. cheats, if you want to call them that) that Futuremark has discovered and disabled in their latest build of 3DMark03, version 340. You can read about it here.

The differences in performance between the two patches is obvious, GT4 and PS2.0 tests taking the worst hits. You can read about the differences between the patch in this Beyond3D article.

Even more startling is NVIDIA has supposedly said they will continue to put application specific optimizations in 3DMark03 as Futuremark releases more patches to defeat them.

Re: TI VS FX

Originally posted by Naroone
I too have a decision to make I have a Ti 4600 installed but was given a FX 5200 for X-mass. I know there was a big difference in price, one being $400 the other $99 but price doesn't always denote better peformance especially when NVidia releases new cards.
One more thing, my Ti4600 came clocked at 300 core clock and 650 memory clock I have yet to find any other cards advertised at these high speeds, anyone have any ideas as to why this is.
Thanks

Where have you been shopping? :suspiciou

Most GeForce4 Ti 4600s are selling in the range of about $130-$160 USD now.

charles hammond u yank

We need to stick with nvidia, their legions of fans are failing in numbers, ppl need to stik by them to keep the market competitve and remain faithful though this bad spot.

Rory7 is right - just because this range of cards have not been the best does not mean nvidia has falled off the bottom rung, not yet.
The FX line didnt live up to expectations - and at the highend of the markets ATi are walking all over nvidia in most circumstances.
The only success nvidia has had is with the 5700 ultra (yes yes i know im biased ive got one) but it has been seend outperforming the 9600XT in many areas - and even in PS2 games like Halo or TR-AOD.
It seems NVIDIA have done a resonably good job with the 5x.xx series - wither you like nvidia or not
and to tell you the truth - now i have my new card - i dont care - until the nv40s & rv420s come out nvidia and ati can do what they like - because at the moment im not worried.
on topic - the Ge4 Ti range is definatly worth having over the fx5200 - and probebly over the fx5600 as well.

Steg

the 5950 ultra beats the 9800xt in some test as well. i think nvidia upped the ante with the 5700 and 5950 cards. the geforcefx 5200 go is alot better than the comparable mobility radeon 9200. so i think the 5200 is the best for price performance in mobile systems and the radeon 9800 non pro for desktops

lol, there will always be those who prefer ATI vs nVidia, and vice versa... and just the same with AMD vs Intel. These threads always stir up a little something amongst people.

As for this case, I think it really depends on your preferences as well as what kind of games you'll be playing. In many cases, it looks as if nVidia performs well in OpenGL and games based on certain engines, where as ATi really excels when you turn on AA and AF to high settings and high resolutions. I could go on with more generalizations but I will leave that to you to do your own research.

For me, I play my games at 800x600 and 1024x768. All that high-end ish will not really benefit me much, and to me it looks like my CS experience was smoother on my old Ti4200, whereas Halo runs a lot better on my current card. Each gamer will have different preferences and whatnot... just read the reviews and choose the one that bests suits your particular needs.

As for the FX5200 vs Ti4200, another vote for the 4200 here. :D

Just adding my vote for the ti4200 here... You can find why here...

Scol> CS probably looked better on your old ti4200 than it does now, at least if you used FSAA... HL is using a lot of Alpha Textures which only SSAA (SuperSampling Anti-Aliasing) works with... MSAA (MultiSampling) just doesn't have the neccessary function for it...
And since none of the Radeon 9500+ supports SSAA (or rather they do support SSAA, but it no way to enable it with the current drivers)......
But the GF4+ supports a mixed mode of SSAA and MSAA...
(Though they often don't look as good as ATI's offering since it's not gamma corrected (and several other reasons which I won't adresse here))

Originally posted by somekid007
where did u buy it??? dude you got a bargain and i might want to test my lucck

Here's a brand new MSI GeForce4 Ti 4600 for $150.00:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...ycodevalue=3109&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=

EDIT: Rory7,

Competition can only thrive when the competitor brings something innovative, unique or otherwise generally as good or better than the competition to the table. NVIDIA has failed to do any of the above.

It's one thing to want lower prices on products because of competition, but that doesn't mean people should buy crap just to keep competition up. ATi has NVIDIA beat in almost every part of the video card industry at the moment.

Well you have to remeber the FX 5200 was not made to replace the Ti-4200 or beat the 9500, it is to replace the MX 460 which it does and smear the 9000 which it does, and the 5200 Ultra is faster still and can beat the TI in some conditions, and pwn the 9200 Pro. Comparing a 5200 and TI 4200 is apples and oranges, the TI 4200's replacement was 5600, which in DX9 enviroment it does beat it, and beat it bad.

my friend has a ti4200, 768mb ram, and and amd athlon 2400, and he runs hl2 flawlessly with his settings on low~medium. very good card for how old it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back