Desktop Icon Label Backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switched all my programs and data to a new computer. I switched from a Dell XP professional OS to a HP XP home OS. My problem is: On my new desktop the Icons are all large by my choice, but they also all have a rectangular background behind the icon title. I would like to make that background invisible and don't know how. It wasn't there on my previous computer and it may not have been there when I first set up my new computer, but I can't find a way to remove them. I've looked in preferences with no luck thus far. Help!!!

i had the same problem once but cant remember for the life of me the exact setting or how i fixed it.

try switching the theme back to just the standard xp one then change your wallpaper/screensaver/whatever else afterwards.

I think there is an option in tweakxp. I know there are many freeware applications that can do it to manipulate the xp code. It is simply making the text background on icons transparent.

Providing I understand exactly what your problem is, all you have to do to make the background "invisible" is go to Windows Explorer (My Computer), right-click on "My Computer", select Properties, click Advanced tab, click Performance Settings button, click Visual Effects tab and make sure that everything is ticked. Simple as that.

The first two radio buttons ("Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" and "Adjust for best appearance") would normally tick all selections. Sometimes, however, if you have a slow machine, or XP calculates the speed of your machine incorrectly, especially after changing certain settings; as you did with the size of the icons; some visual effects items will get unticked.

Hope this solves your problem.....:D

For those who do not trust their machines performance to the hands of Microsoft: the exact setting is "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back