Overclocking the palomino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

i have a 2100+ palomino i would like to overclock it a little :)
how do i do it and how do i unlock the multiplier and what speed could i reach?

Well for starters, you'd be able to overclock the CPU alot more if you had good cooling. The current cooler on it now, may not be the best, so its already kinda hot. So, for maximum results, get a SLK900 or such equalivent. I dont reccomned overclocking if you dont know how to do it, cuz you could very well fry your CPU or northbridge if you we're too aggressive. I'll let someone else explain how to if they please because i gotta start homework soon. I also have a 2100+ P., and would like to know how to unlock it, or if you even have to unlock it :confused: I dont know much about that.. also, it varies from cpu to cpu for how much you can overclock in - sometimes you just get a bad (cpu) overclocker, sometimes a hungry one. Once again the cooler will make your results vary a great deal.

i know thx agissi but i'm careful ;) btw i dont want to use my fsb too much because i dont want to fry the other componens(if it fry's i'm careful :)) i dont want to lose my 9800pro

Sounds cool dang, but im sure it wont hurt to o/c the FSB 20MHz or so :D That wont kill anything, and i believe u get more performace for uping the FSB then overal cpu MHz (if u get me)

The 2100+ in its Palomino form dissipates around 68 watts. Even without overclocking, that thing is putting out some very hot numbers, I woudln't overclock it unless using some watercooling or other high-end cooling method.

You can get faster 0.13 chips for so cheap, it would be a shame to waste your time trying to get more juice out of this one ( allthough a 2100+ is powerfull enough as it is ).

Didou, so your saying you dont think it'll oc much cuz its a Pal? :( That sucks..o'well ;)

ok, so i found out that my cpu is bad it crashed al the time....(i didnt over clock it ) so i bought a 2500+ today wel to keep to the thread just a little change... how do i overclock my 2500+ barton to a 2800+ or 3000+ i've got an aero 7+ weird hsf...

or higher :D

(sorry but) All im going to say is go into your BIOS, and ajust the CPU Multiplier and FSB speed at will. FSBxCPU Multi=The CPUs MHz.

i always c that people have high fsb and lower multiplier.... (i know that it gives better performence but cant i just up the multi.)i was going to try to get 13x and 170 fsb and if i need to up the vcore do i do it bit by bit or just put it on 1.75 or something

i heard that the 2500+ came pre-unlocked - like u i have a 2100+ but i know have a shiny Zalman CNPS7000a - which will take OCing easily - im thinking of getting a 2500 cus i have seen them go up to 3200+ and higher - but DO they come preunlocked or do i have to fiddle with magnifing-glasses and conductive grease etc

Steg

No, only T-Bred's are unlocked; and you can overclock the Palominos with aircooling, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard ("high-end cooling"). Palominos won't OC very high, I only got mine to around 1851, which is decent for a Palo...

Also while overclockin you want to raise your FSB a lot because it is what makes your comp run faster...

Originally posted by wicka_wicka
...and you can overclock the Palominos with aircooling, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard ("high-end cooling")...

Originally posted by Didou
I woudln't overclock it unless using some watercooling or other high-end cooling method.

Read well before you comment. There's a difference between "You can't..." & "I wouldn't...".:rolleyes:

Yeah, but Palaminos are still cooler than Tbreds; and no matter if you said can't or wouldn't, it's still a stupid statement.

i think it was unlocked i could change the multipliers and fsb with no probs i got mine 2, 2.25 wich is 3200+ about(fsb180x12.5)i'm gona bring it back for another 1 hopefully it wil overclock beter :D

btw i've seen some go 2 2.4ghz mine runs at 36°C sys and 36°C cpu i'll c if i can get the new 1 that far :D

correct me if i'm wrong, but if you haven't already done so, lock your agp/pci speed in your bios. you probably don't want those clocking any faster.

^^^He's right, you could kill your VC or other PCI cards if you don't. Also make sure you have adequate northbridge cooling.

On VIA boards, you can't lock PCI/AGP speeds, you can simply select different dividers.

The lowest on KT400 boards I believe is 1/5, thus running your FSB at 166 will give you 33/66 for PCI/AGP. I don't know if there's a 1/6 divider available, which could help alot with your OCing adventure.

i've got pci IRQ's is that the same? i have no idea of the agp i'll have look
btw got the overclock wrong i changed it because it wasn't stable i forgot about it... fsb 177 x 12.5 multi is this good? i tryd at 200fsb :D didnt boot. what do you guys have?
btw my cooling is a aero7+ a 80mm ase fan (exaust) i've opend the side of the case there's a normal fan blowing in it :D 35°and 35° about i'm getting a thermaltake case with 7 fans but that will have to w8 i'mù getting 512 ram at christmas and something else but something cheap:)(e.g 2.1 speakers 5.1 is too much for lans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back