Athlon XP Quake 3 Dlls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Thomas

Noticed on AMD Zone that some Athlon XP optimized Quake 3 1.32 Dlls have been posted. What goods that, Quake 3 already supports 3D Now! & SSE you say, right?

This is horribly incorrect. Quake3 (even with an Athlon XP) forces AMD chips to use 3DNow, not SSE. Little do people know the 3DNow! code is completely broken in Quake3. It does not help at ALL.

The Pentium 3 & 4 chips however are both detected as "Pentium 3" chips, which automatically uses SSE which DOES work in Quake3 & gives a significant FPS boost. These DLLs don't enable SSE but do help with Athlons.. & if SSE was to ever be enabled in Quake3 for Athlon processors they would blow Pentium 4 chips out of the water even more.

Download Now if you're interested, there's also Dlls for other games as well.

Ummm...

Okay, so I did a clean install of Q3A, which I hadn't had on this computer since I reinstalled XP on a clean HD in June. Installed Point Release 1.32. 1600x1200, high detail, trilinear, etc., etc., etc. Roughly 85-95 fps.

Installed the new DLLs. Lost about 15 fps.

Thanks for the optimization, dude... :rolleyes:

Sent this mail to the developer of those DLL's:

Hi, does your Quake3 DLL's work with the AMD Athlon Barton 512kb L2 cache CPU also?

His answer:

Yes, they will work flawlessly.

-----

I will try this out later today when I get hold of the patch

Where's the link?

Um for some reason i cant connect to your dl link, hmmm wonder why, keeps saying page cannot be displayed... well thANK You for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back