New pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayesey

hi
i dont know alot about computers and am thinking of having someone build me a computer.
the specs are:
AMD XP2600+ Processor
512Mb of 333Mhz DDR Memory
ASRock K7S8X Motherboard
80Gb 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8Mb Cache.
52x32x52 CDRW Drive
1.44 Mb Floppy Drive
GeForce FX5200 128Mb DDR AGPx8 Graphics card
56k v.92 hardware fax/modem
the case is a tsunami virgo 350W Power Supply, 2 USB Ports on Front, Thumbscrew Panels

would this be a good computer and how good is the motherboard? any comments or suggestions to make it better would be appreciated? what would be the most important thing to upgrade from that list?
thanks in advance for your replies

From the looks of the specs, I assume you are on a tight budget for this machine. Though you did say you were a novice, so I may be wrong about the budget part.
First off, ASRock is crap IMO, I've built a few cheap systems for clients and used that board, I no longer do that. Nothing but problems. I'd suggest Asus A7n8x=X for a budget machine.
As for the rest, its all going to depend upon the use for your machine, I saw no mention of DVD, so I assume that you'll be using it for websurfing, gaming, maybe music...
The video card is not really a gaming card, though will prolly be fine since you have dialup and prolly won't be doing any online gaming(no need for godly fps if you are playing alone)
I'd really need to know what you'll be using the machine for before really giving any in depth advice about specs.
Also knowing what your spending cap is would be helpful.

Im with storm, stay away from that motherboard, and if you are going to be doing so heavy gaming on the computer get a better videocard. Case looks good :)

I also agree, if you want to stay with nVidia then a FX5600 128MB card would be better for gaming.

well i was thinking of mayeb getting a game like planetside or star wars galaxies, and would definetely be playing battlefield 1942 online. i am getting broadband in january so i will be able to play online fast then. is there anything in particular wrong with this board because im not sure if i can get a different one? i am only getting a base unit and the specs that i mentioned earlier came to 400 pounds.
also my screen is about 3 years old i would still be able to use this screen until i can afford a new one wouldnt i?
my screen is the gateway ev700

The video card is just a budget card, for the games you mentioned, you'll want the best card you can get, if the 5200 is all thats in your budget, then go for something like a GF4 Ti4600, the price isn't much different and the card is much better, the 5200 is on the level of the MX series, its like the next step up.
Your monitor should be fine, as long as it suits you, or you can live with it till you get a new one.

As for the ASRock(or A**rock) as I call it, you fill in the blank and make your own analogy. That mobo is a piece of crap. Almost every one I used in machines had to be replaced within a few months. I stopped using them shortly after I started, mainly because I got two that were DOA within a month.

Definetly get a different Mobo, as it is really the key to your system. if it's bad, you'll have endless troubles. Also, as it was suggested, if you dont want to update for a while and your key is gaming, then a top of the line video card (whether Radeon or Geforce) is a must. One other thing, be sure whoever it is gets you a powerful power supply, and a name brand one as well. that is another thing that is often overlooked but makes a huge difference in a high end system.

ok thanks alot. i think ill get a different motherboard then something like asus. what graphics card would you reccomend then? bearing in mind i dont want to spend alot of money.

Seeing as you are genuinely interested in playing modern games, then anything less than a Radeon 9600XT (or similar mid-range card) would be a waste of money, and will leave you disapointed. Broadband won't help if your display adapter isn't up to the job.

Also, go for DDR400 (i.e. PC3200 memory) and OC that CPU to 3200+ speeds. Make sure you get a decent heatsink/fan to keep it cool.

You will now have a system that is close in performance to todays top spec machines. That should keep you happy for a while, and allow you to play upcoming titles, such as Half Life 2, without an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back