Repeated BSODs, NIC card at fault ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone at techsupport! Well, Am Gautam from INdia. Ok here goes my story:

I have a ASUS P4C 800 Delux motherboard. 4-5 days back, i started to get the usual blue screen of death saying that "DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", then some memory dump and i have to restart my PC. And after booting, the dialogue box on the windows screen said "Windows has encountered a serious error. the device "Asus v7100 Pro seems to be responsible ...." etc....

But then i noticed a very unusual activity with my network card. I have a cable connection with a modem installed. My Lan card is 3com Gigabit (3C940) on board. So at many times, i used to get the error "Network cable unplugged", (even when the modem Lan led kept on). The surprising thing was that when i used to get this unplugged error, the modem cable LAN led didnt went off, which made me think that there is no physical disconnection of the cable with the lan card. SO when i used to get this uplugged error, i have to disable the lan card and enable it once again, which allowed me to surf for around 5-10 minutes and then again the error poped up. And the important thing is that sometimes while enabling the card, my screen used to go blank for a second and another blue screen used o come saying that STOP error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. Some problematic file pciide.sys encountered error (i dont exactly know what was there on the screen). So i thought that might be my onbard LAN and AGP-PCI (i have a pci based asus 32 mb card) would be having some IRQ conflict. SO i moved my PCI display card to another slot, and now my windows system information application says "IRQ 22 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) OK" and "IRQ 20 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 OK". But nothing helped. SO i fianlly disabled my LAN card and intalled the modem using the USB cable. After installing the drivers for the modem and doing the necessary settings, i have my internet connection up and running without any disconnections or crashes. NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED????? IS MY ONBOARD NIC CARD FAULTY?? IF YES, THEN HOW SHOULD I CONFIRM IT SO THAT I CAN SEND MY MOTHERBOARD FOR REPLACEMENT?? Though i tried enabling the onboard lan card (which obviously now shows cable unplugged, as i have connected my modem through usb), and still the PC doesnt crashes.

Kindly give me some feedback, as i want to know the root cause of this problem as to why i was getting BSOD's and system freezes when my modem was connected to my on board NIC.

THanks, waiting for ur reply,
Gautam

welcome to techspot.
NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED????? IS MY ONBOARD NIC CARD FAULTY?? IF YES, THEN HOW SHOULD I CONFIRM IT SO THAT I CAN SEND MY MOTHERBOARD FOR REPLACEMENT??
the errors you reported are the result of a hardware problem. run the computer in each of the following configurations until you get a system error or the machine runs flawlessly for a day or two:
-with the onboard NIC on and connected to the modem
-with the onboard NIC on but not connected to anything
-with the onboard NIC disabled in your bios

at a glance, it seems likely that your problems were caused by faulty hardware, but these steps are important for diagnosing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back