Record what I hear thru my speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Record what I hear thru my speakers.

I would like to record whatever I hear thru my speakers. I have Windows Media Player, RealOne, and MusicMatch. From what I can tell, all of them need an upgrade to record whatever I hear on my speakers.

If my assumption is wrong can you explain how to record anything I hear.

If correct which of my programs would your recommend I upgrade or is there another software I should buy? Please register YourTraySpell

You need to select Wave or similar from Record Control (Open Volume Control, properties, recording). Creative cards usually have something like "What U Hear" there.

I downloaded a new driver and setup from Creative and now have the Creative Recorder.

It works great as long as you don't have any other sounds happening on your computer so...I start recording and walk away.

of course, with creative's recorder, you could choose other options like "wave/mp3" or "analog" when recording. that's what i can still work on my stuff while recording, not having to fear that my clicks would go in there.

The audio I'm recording I believe is ram and I don't think I can convert it to mp3 or wave, am I wrong.

Here's a file I'm recording opened in Notepad. The properties say "RealOne Player Presentation".

rtsp://63.193.65.2/ttb/111502.rm?start="0:19"&title="Thru the Bible - November 15, 2002"&author="Dr. J. Vernon McGee"&copyright="2002 Thru the Bible Radio Network"
--stop--
pnm://63.193.65.2/ttb/111502.rm?start="0:19"&title="Thru the Bible - November 15, 2002"&author="Dr. J. Vernon McGee"&copyright="2002 Thru the Bible Radio Network"

I could never figure that one out either - thanks for the thread.
What I do is connect the output from my PC (audio out socket) to my music centres' "line in" and use standard analogue recording to cassette tape. My ageing ears filter out the high frequency noises. Now I can hear what ever I'm recording through my Pioneer music centre when it is switched to AV or AUX. Today, I suppose I'd be classified as some sort of a ---stine or ----phite or technophobe.

But it works for me!

Blaze Audio

I'm very fond of Blaze Audio. It isn't free and can be time consuming for editing, but it can record from different sources quite easily. To record from my speakers I run from the headphone jack to line in. I also use it to capture from my old vinyl and clean up the pops and clicks. But yes, you will get other sounds that come through your speakers. (Couldn't figure out why I kept hearing "you've got mail" when I wasn't even signed on! Thought my computer was posessed for a minute...) Has a lot of editing features and track splitters. Makes everything a wave file, which is HUGE, but when you do your final save you can make it an MP3 file. That, or encode it using Lame.

I use two free programs which record sounds being played through your media player. Freecorder is just plain easy to use and makes a fairly decent job but can over-record.
Audacity is, frankly, brilliant. You can record from a variety of inputs, control the sound level as you're recording, record in mono or stereo from your tape deck, vinyl turntable, cd rom drive, real audio streaming or any other sound source coming through your sound card. Having found these I don't reckon to look any further. Both will save as MP3s or Wav files. Like PFJ I'm not exactly young so the visual display in Audacity helps overcome the ears' shortcomings. Audacity will also enable you to do all kinds of amazing things with the recorded sounds.
Perhaps both these programs should feature in the Downloads section!
Hope this helps.

less of the ageism young man (quote"Like PFJ I'm not exactly young so the visual display in Audacity helps overcome the ears' shortcomings."unquote). I mentioned only my ageing ears - the other bits are working fine! :D
But seriously; thanks for the references to Freecorder and Audacity. They were exactly what I was looking for in a different thread I posted in Techspot about recording internet radio stations.

Regards

PFJ

If you have an audigy card the driver contains creative mediasource player which is what i use to record things that i hear. It is highly configurable and you can change the things you record to most formats and bit rates.

I have a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio card in a Dell Dimension 8300 with WINXP SP2 OS. But the rear speakers do not work.

Regards

PFJ

One more good sound recorder

Total Recorder - I’ve had this for years… records anything you can hear in your speakers. Total Recorder offers features not found in free programs like Audacity. My favorite feature is the ability to set up multiple daily and weekly recording schedules. It also has fantastic scheduling options including excellent auto-naming options and split recording conditions. The only significant limitation of the trial version is related to recording - every one minute they inject a sound into the recording (but it lets you play with the program & settings to see if it will, indeed, let you do what you want--- before paying the $15 or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back