Unlocking your GSM cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Sad tale to be aware of; unlocked phones may be severely crippled in the features available on another providers network!!

Purchase Motorola V600 (Quad band) GSM phone for extended trip to Europe. (Domestic uses 840+1900, Europe 900+1800)

Phone was already unlocked (shipped locked to T-Mobile however) in the box, and I only needed to swap the SIM card from Cingular into this phone --- works great, except no Email nor Browser support!

Called Cingular and we got TXT messaging working (but I don't normally use it), but we could not configure Email/Browser to access the Cingular network at all. The T-Mobile software is so different, there's no settings for things like IP-Address and Port numbers!

Called T-Mobile (1-209-904-2030) -- catch 22, not a T-Mobile user and therefore can't even access the phone.

Called Motorola Support (1-800-331-6456). WOW! Service person was nice enough, but spouted official Company rhetoric.
"The phone was manufactured for T-Mobile and with that contract, the T-Mobile software was installed. It is illegal for us to uninstall or replace that software."

1) It's MY phone, not T-Mobile's
2) I choose the service provider I need
3) said contract is collusion and conspiracy by the manufacturer and the service provider(s) here domestically (US) to force either a new device purchase and or to coerce a specific service provider.
4) European users do not have this problem and pre-paid SIM cards allow access to ANY SERVICE provider.
5) Heck, I've even purchased a pre-paid SIM and it connects to AT&T without any difficulty -- just no means to configure Internet access -- due entirely to the T-Moble software (hum-- dumbware!!).

I informed the Motorola support person of the above and that I traded a Better Phone (Nokia) so as to quickly acquire a Quad-Band before leaving for Europe. This experience has soured my opinion of Motorola products, but to be fair, it's very likely to be a conspiracy across the industry here in the U.S.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

I can confirm the bit about European cells.
Bought (as an upgrade) 3 tri-band cells, from and locked into the Vodaphone network (in Ireland).
Having spent enough money (i.e. over €130.- per cell) on my previous Vodaphone pay-as-you-go phone-bills, all I needed to do then was call Vodaphone customer service with the cells' IMEI-numbers, they gave me the unlock-codes on the spot!
The cells are happily used now in Pennsylvania on the Cingular network, without any problems or limitations.
They were 2x Motorola E770V and 1x Nokia 3120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back