Random BSODs on Startup - ntkrpamp.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just say up front that I'm running Boot Camp XP Pro on a MacBook Pro, but I'm hoping you guys will still be nice enough to help.

The situation is that I get these random Page Fault in Nonpage Area BSODs right after startup as it's loading items to the taskbar. I've attached 4 minidumps and they all report something wrong with ntkrpamp.exe. I really have no experience using WinDbg so I can't really get more out of it than that. From what I've read, ntkrpamp.exe problems can be related to faulty RAM, but I haven't experienced any problems in Mac OS X.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

The other thing is I installed the multicore performance patch from Microsoft above, and that supposedly modifies the ntkrpamp.exe. I'm going to try uninstalling that patch to see if it helps any. Maybe it's an incompatibility with Merom Core 2 Duos?

I've also read something about a /NOPAE switch in the Boot.ini, but I'm not exactly sure what that does.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: That patch doesn't seem to come with an uninstaller so I might have to do something more drastic like seeing if I can replace the updated files with originals from the XP CD. I don't know how that would effect the registry changes though.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    78.2 KB · Views: 5
All the dumps are exactly the same, which points to a software problem. The process is also the same in all the dumps - KbdMgr.exe (keyboard drivers?). See if there's an update for it.

BugCheck 10000050, {bad0b158, 0, 805bac71, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!ObpCloseHandleTableEntry+13 )
PROCESS_NAME: KbdMgr.exe

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've just been using Mac for most of the time. Anyways, yeah it turns out to be a problem with the KbdMgr.exe, which are the Apple Boot Camp Keyboard drivers. It's kind of wierd since I haven't heard people complaining about them. Maybe it's a conflict with some other software I install or they just got corrupt. Anyways, I replaced them with a third-party software InputRemapper which gives the same functionality and more. I guess this will be a heads-up to future Boot Camp users. Hopefully Apple fixes this by the time it gets out of beta.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back