Dual CPU or not ? ( Kind of an odd question )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of an odd question.....

Ok...if u look in my profile stats...my pc has dual 2.80 Ghz P4 processors....but when i look in the setup screen at startup....it says that my processor is running at 1.87 Mhz.......what's going on?...Even when i look in the System/ Device Manager...it says under the Processor heading:2 x 2.80 Ghz processors. So what would be causing my processor to run slow? Any help would be appreciated

Sean

Here's a combined screen shot if I can upload it...
attachment.php

Attachments

• system............jpg
    system............jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 30
Your CPUs seem to be running on a 133mhz ( 133 * 14 -> 1867mhz ) FSB instead of 200 ( 200 * 14 -> 2800mhz ).

Go into the BIOS & set the FSB to 200. I sure hope you have PC3200 Ram installed on that machine.

BTW are you really running a Dual CPU setup or is that HyperThreading in action ?

Lol...i dunno....not too sure on the inner workings.....it shows in the device manager as having 2 cpu's..so u tell me? lol but thanx for the reply...i'll look into it

It is most likely a 2.8ghz P4C ( which has HyperThreading enabled ). So you have two logical CPUs which will show up as two physical CPUs in certain applications & even at the POST sequence.

In any case, you need to set the FSB to 200mhz ( 800 ) to get that CPU running at its proper speed of 2.8ghz.

well..i did that....and it wouldn't restart...just kinda hung on the screen showing were it finds the boot record....i think when my comp guy fixed it...(installed new memory....he'd put in lower memory fsb speed sticks or something cuz now it says the memory is DDR 200Mhz or something like that......hmm....time to ream somone out me thinks lol.....i guess i'll just leave it for now...as it seems to be running good. Thanx for ur help though :grinthumb

edit:..memory is 2 x 512Mb ddr 400

ok..i've left it at 1.8ghz for awhile now, but it's starting to bug me...every time i go into BIOS and try to change the speed to 200mhz...and save changes and exit....it freezes on the screen where it searches for the boot record...why would it do this?..Any help is much appreciated...

In your profile you say you have 1GB of pc2700 400mhz RAM. Does that mean you have pc2700 memory running at 400mhz? pc2700 is meant to run at 166mhz(333 ddr), pc3200 runs at 200mhz(400 ddr).

If it is PC2700 Ram, it will run up to 166mhz.

If it's a i865 chipset on the board, you can run the memory at 166 while keeping the CPU at a FSB of 200 but I do not believe it is possible with the i875 chipset, I'm not sure.

You can be sure that he does not have 2 CPUs if the FSB is supposed to be 200. The 800Mhz FSB Xeons are not out yet O_o. If your ram is indeed PC2700 then you need to invest in some more ram.
Download something like CPU-Z (=> www.cpuid.com) and ask that what speed your memory is rated to, that will tell you no problem.

Steg

mobo has the i845GE chipset.......and i think i will get him to put in new stuff...no use havin a 2.8Ghz if i can't use all of it.....Ok..i d/led that program (thanks for that...)....and in one Dimm slot..it has DDR SDRAM 512Mb pc3200 (Dimm slot 2) ...and in the first slot..Dimm 1..it has DDR SDRAM pc2700 512 Mb.....wtf??? lol

Well you need to bring back the whole system & ask for the parts to be replaced. The i845GE chipset only supports the 100 ( 400 ) & 133mhz ( 533 ) FSBs. It does not support the P4C CPU so even with PC3200 Ram, it will not work with a 200mhz ( 800 ) FSB.

845ge_diagram_340.gif

That would be a slight problem then.....time to invest in a new motherboard with a intel 865 or 875 chipset...and chuck out that 2700 stick of ram for another 3200 stick and run them in dual channel mode.

Steg

p.s. - i keep running into that damned 'cant post within 75 seconds of your last post' message damnit - i like multiple windows open :D

Ya Hedgehog, you got a tad 'jipped' [ripped off].

Btw Steg, I really hear ya, we operate the same way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back