Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus driver not found on Lenovo G450

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnota

I just bought a notebook Lenovo G450 and I had drivers not found problem. My OS is Windows XP SP2. In Device Manager, there are four "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" device with exclamation mark. Below is the link to the screenshot of my device manager (pardon me, you have copy-paste the link manually since my post count is still below 5 so I cannot post link/image here):

if7whc.jpg

There is no sound problem since I had successfully installed the sound driver from lenovo (The name is "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221" as you can see on the screenshot above) and the sound is working without problem. I also had installed Microsoft UAA Bus Driver before installing the sound driver.

I had tried installing realtek and nvidia high definition audio driver and all required drivers from lenovo (http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=370748), but still no avail. The four yellow exclamation marks is still exist.

So I need help to identify what actually are the devices that shown as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus"? And where can I get the driver for that devices?

These are the device IDs:
Code:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&0&0001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&0&0101
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&0&0201
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&0&0301

I already searched the device ID with google, but cannot found any information about them.

Thank you in advance.

I'd advise you should first upgrade to SP3. Then report back if you still have the problem and can proceed from there

Sorry for the double post.. but to make sure you see this..

I'd amend my prior instructions to say: Look through Add/Remove programs first to see if any Sound installations are listed there. If so, uninstall via Add/Remove programs. And then do the update to SP3

Leave the sound drivers installed.

Open Device Manager, look for the MS UAA HD Audio Bus under System Devices. Rt click it and select uninstall. Then reboot. Check the status of the drivers again.

There are two "Microsoft UAA HD Audio Bus" devices under System Device:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE3&SUBSYS_389F17AA&REV_A1\4&2DEFB0A9&0&0108

This one, if uninstalled, the four "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" device turned into four "Unknown Device".

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_3A0D17AA&REV_03\3&11583659&0&D8

This one, if uninstalled, the "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221" device turned into "Unknown Device".

There are two "Microsoft UAA HD Audio Bus" devices under System Device:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0BE3&SUBSYS_389F17AA&REV_A1\4&2DEFB0A9&0&0108

This one, if uninstalled, the four "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" device turned into four "Unknown Device".

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_3A0D17AA&REV_03\3&11583659&0&D8

This one, if uninstalled, the "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221" device turned into "Unknown Device".

You're seeing TWO items in Dev Mgr both labeled MS UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio??? That sounds very odd.. can you re-confirm? capture a screen shot?

Also you can report Problem Devices easily this way
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

/*EDIT */
ARGHH! You have some confusing results :confused:

1) Best to my knowledge there should only be one MS UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio?
2) Also the four Hardware IDs you posted in your first post are puzzling.. Or do you see those four after clicking View->Show Hidden Devices?

I'd only expect to see one MS UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio
> and i'd expect that Hardware ID to start PCI\VEN_8086 (that's the Intel chip)
> So the other Hardware ID with same label is a surprise

Also when the Bus Driver is uninstalled the other devices will be Unknown (is normal)
> Typically, i've found when MS UAA installed and others not found (as in your first post) one only need upgrade to SP3 then uninstall/reinstall MS UAA Bus Driver. Then Windows will find and install the other sound drivers after re-installing the UAA Bus Driver.
> So a bit confusing as to just what's going on

You're seeing TWO items in Dev Mgr both labeled MS UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio??? That sounds very odd.. can you re-confirm? capture a screen shot?

Well, here is the screenshot:

15y6qma.jpg

Also you can report Problem Devices easily this way

* Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
* Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
* If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Code:
Not Available	HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&1&0001	The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available	HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&1&0101	The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available	HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&1&0201	The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available	HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&15CAAF27&1&0301	The drivers for this device are not installed.

Also the four Hardware IDs you posted in your first post are puzzling.. Or do you see those four after clicking View->Show Hidden Devices?

Yes, I still see them.

Hey, I found out the driver :)

Using the tips from this site:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/driver-support/419050-how-find-drivers.html

I did a seach and found the driver from this site:
http://www.drvsky.com/samsung/R467_Sound.htm

The four devices turned out to be Nvidia High Definition Audio.

EDIT:
For anyone who encounter same problem with me and have trouble downloading the driver from the above url. This is the alternative download url:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zizmbzmdnfd

Btw, thanks LookinAround for your helps.

Good work and great news! :grinthumb

But now i'm curious about one thing.... Back in your first post, where did you get the audio drivers you started with? I assumed they were from the Lenovo support site for you computer?

Are you saying
> The drivers you downloaded from Lenovo weren't correct??
> Or are you saying you never downloaded any audio drivers in the first place????? (other then the MS UAA Bus Driver?)

/* EDIT */
Actually, now that you provided the actual Problem Report i can see you were missing the right driver
> I assumed the right driver was downloaded from Lenovo but the problem was just that it wouldn't install correctly
> But i guess you're saying the Lenovo drivers were wrong?

And thanks for your feedback and screen shots... looks like i learned yet another way MS HD Audio driver problems can present itself!
> Another follow-up question: Now that everything is running correctly do you still see TWO or just ONE MS UAA Bus Driver device?

A more good news, actually I don't need to download and install NVIDIA high definition audio driver separately since it's already included in NVIDIA Display Driver installer.

The source of problem is:
I was using windows XP SP2 and I installed NVIDIA Display Driver without installing the Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver first. Without installing Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver, the High Definition Audio devices wouldn't detected by NVIDIA Display Driver installer, hence the NVIDIA high definition audio is not installed.
If you're using Windows XP SP3, there is no need to install Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver.

So the bottom line for WinXP SP2 users:
Install the Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver first before installing NVIDIA Display Driver.

Microsoft UAA HD Audio Driver download page:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-65456.html

Another follow-up question: Now that everything is running correctly do you still see TWO or just ONE MS UAA Bus Driver device?

Still seeing two.

AH-HA! Thanks for that piece to the jigsaw puzzle. With that info i did a bit of investigation... What was throwing me off:

> I knew about the MS UAA Bus driver being packaged in SP3
> And typically installing SP3 followed by the audio drivers is sufficient
> If not, then one should
=====> Uninstall MS UAA Bus driver then reboot
=====> On reboot, Windows redetects the UAA Bus driver and HD Audio drivers and reinstalls both

So, when i read your last post i couldn't figure out why-the-heck a display driver would be dependent on an audio bus driver (i.e. the UAA Bus Driver for Audio) :confused: :confused:

And the answer: It isn't! (sort of)
1) Nvidia has actually packaged BOTH their audio AND display drivers together!
2) I believe the Conexant Audio (which is in the Audio section on Lenovo driver page) is only for the HD modem and depends on the the nVidia audio driver itself to work

IMHO: A logically BAD decision on nVidia's part to package audio and graphics together (so, of course, their audio driver doesn't get listed on driver support pages under Audio! but just under Graphic/Display!)

I found this info that indicates just what nVidia did for a different Lenovo model - that i'm sure is also true for yours

In any case, i'll repeat again: Good job johnota! :grinthumb

You also helped me learn a new twist in the never ending mystery of getting Windows drivers to work! :)

I believe the Conexant Audio (which is in the Audio section on Lenovo driver page) is only for the HD modem and depends on the the nVidia audio driver itself to work

Actually Conexant Audio driver is the driver for the audio speaker of the notebook and it doesn't depend on the nvidia high definition audio or any other driver to work. Until now, I still don't know what is the nvidia high definition audio used for, but my guess is it has something to do with HDMI audio output.

IMHO: A logically BAD decision on nVidia's part to package audio and graphics together (so, of course, their audio driver doesn't get listed on driver support pages under Audio! but just under Graphic/Display!)

I totally agree with you ;).

When I bought the notebook, I only got the vista driver CD. So imagine the pain and time waste that I must download the drivers by myself, especially the f***ing conexant audio driver that sized 255 MB.

In any case, i'll repeat again: Good job johnota!

You also helped me learn a new twist in the never ending mystery of getting Windows drivers to work!

Well, I think I was just lucky. If I didn't reinstall the Windows XP (this time from Windows XP SP3 CD) which forced me to reinstall again the drivers (except MS UAA driver), maybe I won't find out the source of problem.

Once again, thank you LookinAround for your helps. With your replies, you motivate me to solve the problem :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back