Possible to hook 2 routers together

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting to hook 2 routers together so that we can have 8 connections for our dsl modem.

One router is a negear RP614 and i have successfully hooked it up.
The other is a D-Link DI-514 and I have not been able to get it to work. It's Wireless but also has some ports for the 5e cat cables. I hooked the 2 routers together and it didn't work. I hooked it directly to the modem so i could call it up but was unsuccessful.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you want to connect a wireless router to an existing router, you need to set the second router as an access point. This way it will act as a hub but will allow you to pass IPs from the DHCP of the first router. If you can't set the second router in access point mode then you won't be able to do this unless the two routers are the same model, then you may be able to bridge the two, but that creates a whole new set of issues.

Best thing to do is go into the router interface(open a browser and type the IP of the router) in the setup pages you should find a place to set the router as a Gateway, or as an Access Point. If you don't see those options then you won't be able to use it this way. You may also need to turn off DHCP on the second router(it usually does this automatically when set to AP)

Another router is really an overkill for this. A simple hub or a switch hooked up to the router would have done the job.

There is no way you can get 8 ports unless one of the routers has more than 4 local ports or you are going to link them via wireless.

The easiest way would be either setting the additional router to be transparent as Storm suggested or connecting the routers through their local ports.

sorry to bring this thread back up. i found it online asking the same question of the person that posted this. but i have 2 wireless routers.. one wont cover my entire house. so i bought a second one but for some reason after hooking it up it will not access the internet.. i have a netgear wg-614 and a dlink router( sorry cant remember the model numbers). but i want to know if i need to possibly bridge both routers since i have dsl my main router has all the login information. or is it a conflict between ip addresses since they are the same? im kind of new to this wireless network stuff. so any help possible would be great. if you need more information to give me an answer i can always post more. thanks again.

I was under the impression you could buy items that would extend the range of your routers wireless capabilities.

you can but they cost between 150 and 200 dollars.. why would i want to spend that much when i have 2 routers already and only spent 130 dollars for both routers and a network card.. and the extention is way to much.. because my uncle has it and the people on the other side of his court yard where able to connect to it.. and i know of 3 wireless networks in my naighborhood that i dont want accessing all my files.

Don't forget wireless security

If you have a security issue a 2nd router is not your best solution. The only way to make sure unauthorized users cannot use your wireless router is to secure it. You must (1) make sure you have a unique SSID, (2) activate WEP security, (3) use MAC filters to restrict access to designated MAC addresses, and (3) do not broadcast your SSID. This should handle the neighbors.

With regard to connecting your two routers properly, the D-Link Knowledge Base has a procedure to accomplish this. The was under their notes for a DI-624 wireless G router. http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ...DI-624_revC (Advanced features/DDNS..)

Their first recommendation is "don't do it". There may also be issues with connecting unlike router brands. Here's what they say:

"Use router as Access Point / Switch:

It is STRONGLY recommended that you do not use 2 routers. You may want to return it and purchase an access point (wireless) or a hub/switch.

To use your router as an access point only, please follow the steps below:

Router A is the router you want to use as the router - connected to the modem.
Router B is the router you want to use an access point or switch.

Step 1 Do not use the WAN port on router B.

Step 2 Depending on your network setup, you may need to change the LAN IP address of router B. The default is 192.168.0.1. If you are using another router, DHCP server, or Internet connection sharing software, change the LAN IP address of the router to an IP in your subnet (192.168.0.2). The LAN IP address must be static.

Step 3 Disable DHCP on router B. To disable DHCP, go into the routers configuration > Home > DHCP. Click Disable and then click apply." ***End of D-Link advice

Connecting two routers Together

Hi, I have a Zyxel wired router which I have had for some time. I have added a server which we are going to use as a mail server. Added to this we have 3 other PC's and my laptop!

I have an old Belkin wireless router which I thought would give us the extra ports for the system. I connected a cable from one of the existing routers ports to the uplink port of the Belkin, and then connected my PC and the laptop to the second router.

I have managed to get the system to work, but I share one of my hard drives with the rest of the family as an archive drive. They suddenley cannot 'see' this drive, I think its because my first router is set up as 192.168.1.x and the second one is setup as 192.168.2.x I have disbled DHCP on the second router but still no joy.

Have I got to remove this second router completly and wire a hub in instead?

Bob Moore

Reconfigure your Belkin router

Wow, a response to a 2 1/2 year old thread. In the previous input I made to this thread I quoted some advise which I pulled from the D-Link web site. I suggest you re-read this since it seems to address your problem.

The first recommendation from D-Link was not to use two routers. However, they go on to describe how it can be done. Since you have set up your Belkin as your secondary access point and the Zyxel as your main router, D-Link's advise is that you do not use the WAN port on the Belkin. I assume that the uplink port you said you've used is the WAN port. They also mention that the secondary router (your Belkin) must be assigned a static IP address that’s within the subnet of the Zyxel. Since the Zyxel's IP address is 192.168.1.1, you must assign an address like 192.168.1.x to the Belkin. Be careful and avoid using an address that is within the DHCP range allocated to the Zyxel.

I have had to solve a similar problem to yours but I chose to use a 5 port Gigabit Ethernet switch, which connects to my wireless router. Each computer needs a gigabit Ethernet card or port but I can exchange data a ten times the speed of the fast Ethernet ports on the router. The faster speed also optimize disk I/O transfers between the computers. I am very pleased with this configuration.

Sucessfully done it!

Hi Guys, dunno if anyone is subscribed or still interested, but i have just linked a

Belkin version F5D7633-4Av1_UK_1.00.11

to a

Linksys (Tesco Version!) Home Wireless-G Gateway HG200

Took me AGES to work it out!

* Basically LEAVE YOUR MASTER / MAIN / ORIGINAL router ALONE

* Ignore Wireless Bridge - {thats what it is - "Wireless") we want 2 WIRED Routers connected to "Share" the internet

* DISABLE DHCP on Router 2

*Set Router 2 to "Bridge only mode" <- OR EQUIVALENT to your brand (if not possible, then stop now!)

*IF Router 1 (which mine did) has IP 192.168.2.1/
then set the IP on ROUTER 2 to something OUT of the DHCP Range

(My range was 192.168.2.2 -> 192.168.2.10 so i set router 2 to 192.168.2.15)

{Some routers will be defaulted to 192.168.1.1 so just set your Second Router to something outside the range of 192.168.1.2 ->192.168.1.10 ..... you can see where I am going here now? *hopes*}

*I read in another article, that the wireless settings have to match (which i doubt as it is not a "Wireless Bridge") But I matched them anyway for easy switching between the 2 routers.

I think this is everything I did (after pulling my hair out!).
If it doesn't work for you, i can't get "Router Specific" as I cannot visit you all/test every brand out there!

If you feel I have omitted a step, then please inform me, and i'll hard reset *gulp* and try it again and re-write this lot!

So now, I can sucessfully connect to Router 2, and it grabs the internet over Ethernet from Router 1!!!!!

Now PLEASE can someone help me with NDAS!!!!!!!!!! (Bloody Freecom)

2 routers

I have 1 wireless router upstairs, but my computers wireless wont reach it from downstairs. I also have another router but when I connected it to my phone line, the DSL op. state was disconnected. Any help would be apreciated

Try using HomePlug

You might try using your electrical outlets to connect your downstairs computer with the 2nd floor router. One HomePlug device would be placed near the 2nd floor router and connected to the router via cable. The downstairs computer should be connected to the the 2nd HomePlug device. Thus, you'll be able to share your DSL using this configuration.:cool:

jgildert, you are a star! Your post has solved a nagging problem for me.

Basically, I needed to find a way to connect both my laptop (Gateway cheapie) and my Blackberry Curve 8320 to the internet using Wi-Fi. I have 2 routers: a Netgear DG834GT and a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1. The Netgear works great with the laptop but won't talk to the Blackberry unless I disable WPA-PSK encryption; the ZyXEL is the exact opposite!

So, after deciding to keep the Netgear as my main router, here's what I did (after printing your post!):
1. Connected the ZyXEL to my PC's ethernet port;
2. Entered the ZyXEL setup program, using the default IP address (192.168.1.1);
3. Under the LAN menu option in Advanced Setup, I disabled DHCP (set the option to 'none' and clicked 'apply');
4. Under the WLAN menu option, I set the mode to 'Bridge' and clicked 'apply';
5. Again under the LAN menu option, I changed the TCP/IP address to 192.168.0.20 to match the Netgear IP address range but keeping it well away from the DHCP of the Netgear, and clicked 'apply';
6. At this point I had to close the browser window and reopen, then access the ZyXEL using the new IP address - so far so good...;
7. Lastly, I connected another ethernet cable from yellow port 4 on the Netgear to port 1 on the ZyXEL, waited a minute or two for nothing to happen (!!??), then switched the ZyXEL off and on again.

Eureka! I now have internet on my main PC via both routers, plus the use of both wireless access points!

As you suggested, i didn't need to touch the wireless settings at all. Just as well really, as I need to be able to use wireless on both routers separately.

Hope this helps some of you.

I have two routers hooked together.

The first router is a wired router. It's hooked to the computer and goes to the second router.

The second router is a wireless router and is hooked up like a switch.

This setup worked for a few weeks but doesn't now. If I disconnect the CAT5 cable that goes to the computer from the first router the second (wireless) router works.

If I disconnect the CAT5 cable that goes to the second router from the first router the first router works.

also if I disconnect the CAT5 cable that goes to the second router from the first router and then plug it right back in both routers work for 10 or 15 min.

they are both linksys routers

is there any way to have both of these routers working at the same time?

probably an ip conflict. i think linsys probably like a wrt54 are set to 192.168.0.1. you will need to change one of the IP's to say 192.168.1.1. when you connect the wireless router to the non wireless router, are you plugging into the WAN or LAN port fo the wireless router. I am willing to bet that you have an IP conflict causing a routing loop.

The computers I have connected to everything has IP address 192.168.1.1.
There all connected to LAN ports.
And I'm not sure what a static IP is.

Here is how its setup. maybe this will help.
Router.JPG

I am assuming you have all routing features turned off on the wireless router correct? if you are using these with all settings on then you WILL create a routing loop. you may get and ip and dsn occassionly but it will often not have a dns. if your using it as a router, change your IP address so that they do not match. If it were me, I would disable dhcp and all routing functions.

I'm not sure where I would check to see if the routing features are off or on. The only computer that has any information about a router is the computer connected to the wired router. Do I disable all that stuff from that computer or all the computers? and also how do I get to the place to turn all of this stuff off?

I figured out how to disable my DHCP but I'm not sure what routing function you are talking about. But everything seems to be working for the moment. If it goes out I'll let you know. thanks a lot you've saved me a great deal of trouble.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v4 & a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it. The Netgear is hooked up to the cable modem and is in the house, the Linksys is hooked up via cat 5(buried) in a seperate building. The Linksys is getting the DNS info from the Netgear, and I think it's all setup right, so far. What I was wondering is if I have both set with the same SSID, and the same WPA password, will I be able to go from one building to the other and the laptop won't loose connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back