Dual Boot - Dual Hard Drives - XP on both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I want to do. I have 2 hard drives that I would like to install XP on. One will be my "main" drive with all my apps on it. The other I want to only use to play Everquest II. I want it to run as efficiently as possible. I guess what I need to know is:

1) Do I need to take out my current boot drive and do a fresh install on the new one or is there a better way?

2) What do I need to do to get a menu or something that will let me pick which drive I would like to boot at startup?

3) Any additional suggestions you may have.

Thank you very much!

Rich

1.No, you just have to boot to the xp cdrom and continue to the screen which will say that it detects that an operating system is all ready present. It will ask if you want to install over it or in a new partition. Choose that and pick the other HD. :giddy:
2 When you boot your computer a screen will come up asking which one you want to boot to.

You rock! Thanks for the help. One last question, how can I modify the description of which configuration I want to boot? Right now they both say Windows XP. I have figured out which is which but it would be nice to change the text.

Thanks again!

Rich

Edit the file BOOT.INI in the root of your first (C) harddisk.
The line with multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) in it is your C-drive.
change the text between the quote-marks to indicate which is which.

Thank you a ton Mr. Guinness. I'm sorry you hate XP. I have been trying to figure out how to set up Linux but I don't feel secure enough with it to just jump right in.

Thanks again!

Rich

dadecamp said:
1.No, you just have to boot to the xp cdrom and continue to the screen which will say that it detects that an operating system is all ready present. It will ask if you want to install over it or in a new partition. Choose that and pick the other HD. :giddy:
2 When you boot your computer a screen will come up asking which one you want to boot to.
How do you get to the partition part. I get repair or new install? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back