Boot Failure in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

A friend has asked me to have a look at their laptop while they are away for the weekend, saying that they have been unable to boot up windows and get a series of messages that read as follows after the memory check is performed at the started:-

Searching for Boot Record from CD/DVD.. Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from BBS-0: [Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082) ] OK

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

SiS900 PXE BootROM v.109 Hook Int19

Client MAC ADDR: 00 50 EB 1E 1E 3B GUID: 11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111 PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were recieved

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

Searching for Boot Record from SCSI.. Not Found

Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready

I don't have the original XP Cd with me, are there any I can download and burn to CD to use to try and sort this out as I have no idea what I'm doing really, any help would be much appreciated

Looks to me like the computer is not set up to boot from its harddisk, but attempts to boot from the network instead.

You'll have to verify the boot device sequence in its BIOS setup, and make sure that the harddisk is selected as one of the boot devices; you will likely want to specify the CD/DVD drive as the first, and the harddisk as the second boot device.

ive tried the site provided but that had nothing to suit what i need tried playing about with bios but hard drive doesnot appear as an option only 1-46 and CD/ROM

onscreen as I boot up

Intel UNDi, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09 Hook Int19

when I hold F8 for bios it gives me "Select First Boot Device

CD/DVD : QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-161
BBS-0 : Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build082)

[Up/Dn] Select [Return] Boot [ESC] Cancel

I running (or was running) Windows Xp Home Edition
Pentium 4 on a Winbook J4 laptop no Windows XP cd that comes with it
just Windows XP for an Acer laptop feel free 2 email your suggestions. (tried the link posted on an above post can't find anything important, or anything I can understand)

You need to enter the bios. You should see a mesage after POST saying Press key (often Del) to enter setup. There you will be able to change your boot order. To somethiong like C:\; CD-Rom; Floppy. You don't want BBS-0 : Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build082) unless you need to boot from a network.

Portables usually have a small partition at the begininng of the HDD that is used to boot the computer ,these things are for proprietary drvers and programs ,I am wondering if yours is corrupt /bad sectors
Does your bios recognize a HDD at all ?If it does you might need to update the file for your machine It will come in a form of a Flash file from the manufacturer,just check their web for your machine's make and model.
If your bios is not seeing the HDD you may have a bad drve and need to replace.

juggawest said:
when I hold F8 for bios it gives me "Select First Boot Device

Intead of usig F8 try using F2 as F8 usually brings up the safe mode, debuging and restore options.

F2 should take you directly into the bios from here you can reset your boot options.

Its sounds like your cd rom is set to boot first and your hdd drive is set to last in the BIOS.

Once you figure outt how to get into BIOS and your change the BOOT priority then, you shouldn't have a problem as long as your HDD is not corrupt and recongnized

Boot Problem Solved for me

I have the exact problem everytime my computer battery goes dead while I am working. The solution for me was to put a SD card in my memory slot (blank or with anything on it) and then it boots up. Once I put in a memory card computer boots but without it there is no way I have found to get it to boot.

In my case it turned out to be the hard drive had gone bad. Since the computer could not access the hard drive, it was attempting to boot from a [nonexistent] network.

Might be worth it to check your hard drive.

I dont know if any one has found a solution to this problem yet, But I am Having the exact same trouble on my notebook....

After all the troubleshooting ive done, this is what i've come up with.

I've tried everything i can think of... I put in my utillities cd, and i did manage to find something that was being read as "2nd Floppy drive" but it was in LBA mode?? Bios does not see the hard drive at all, even after i spent a good chunk of change to get a new one....

so what does this mean? Is my bios Corrupted?

PLEEEEAAASE HELP!!

anything at all would help... thanks

Help!!!!I really need help with this SIS900 PXE BootROM V1.09 Hook!!!! So plz help!!

When I opened up my laptop on April the 9th, it's full stuffed up and there's this thing where it says - SiS900 PXE BootROM V1.09 HOOK.....(and some other stuff which i don't remember), I used this windows xp disc and set it up again, then everything's alright, but the next day when i opened the computer again it just stuffed up again like yesterday( what the hell ????), then i have to repair it again, and then the next day which is today, it happened again!!! i tried to repair it again but all it would do is keep on do the process of repairing over and over again and it would work. about 3:00 it worked again maybe 'cause of luck.

What is all this???

Can someone pllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me??????:p

this sounds like its a hard disk error not a software issue. you usually get this message when the CMOS can not detect a hard drive how old is your PC?

u need this disc

to MADMAN :

u need this windows xp or what every version of ur computer repairing disc, go and search for it.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I opened up my laptop on April the 9th, it's full stuffed up and there's this thing where it says - SiS900 PXE BootROM V1.09 HOOK.....(and some other stuff which i don't remember), I used this windows xp disc and set it up again, then everything's alright, but the next day when i opened the computer again it just stuffed up again like yesterday( what the hell ????), then i have to repair it again, and then the next day which is today, it happened again!!! i tried to repair it again but all it would do is keep on do the process of repairing over and over again and it would work. about 3:00 it worked again maybe 'cause of luck.

What is all this???

Can someone pllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me??????:p

Gwass has given you a logical starting place. Suspect hard drive failure. Obtain new/spare hard drive. Try to revive the suspect hard drive as you did before. Then with appropriate software, clone suspect to the new hard drive. Following the cloning, verify the new hard drive is bootable. I use Partition Magic which alters boot.ini, so a menu is offered to select the copy of Windows XP.

Obviously, the clone/duplicate is only as good as the original/source.

If cloning is not possible, a new hard drive can help with isolating the problem. Use the XP CD to install the OS on the new drive. Monitor behavior/performance of the system.

At this point, hardware is most suspect. The motherboard, bios/cmos, cmos battery, and ide cables/connectors are on the list.

Please, Please, please read other threads in the TS forums describing how to post problems. The Guides & Solved Issues sub-forum and the Introduce Yourself sub-forum are excellent starting points.

Based on the posts thus far, I would have expected a report from you that describes your findings when examining the bios setup (machine or bios burst screen instructs you to press the appropriate key).

i c.......i did actually get my computer to work but then i have a internet problem with TP-link!!!!!!!!

...i seem to have endless trouble with this computer.
p.s. i didn't need to press the appropriate key, all i need to do is to use the winp disc and repair its slef but then it would only keep repeating its self..now i got 3 files in (C): named WINDOWS, WINDOW.0, WINDOW.1,

should i delete them?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaN sOmEbOdY hElP mE????

I'm hAvInG InTeRnEt pRoBlEmS, I cAn'T gEt AcEsSeSs iNtO tHe iNtErNeT, aNd sOmEtHiNg'S bLoCkInG mE fRoM gEtTiNg In tO MSN LIVE 8.0

aNy tHiNg wOuLd hElP

:hotbounce :angel:

multiple copies of windows

Based on your reported symptom that you now have folders windows, windows.0, and windows.1, I am surprised that you have not complained that the desktop has changed and applications are not working. Your post about MSN Live 8.0 could be an application problem.

Its Getting Better

The desktop did change but this sort of situation happened lyk 6 times so i got used to it.

But should i delete the Windows.0 windows.1 and windows.0, and if i did, would it damage the system?

And what about the internt?i suddenly came to work again today, and i 'm able to log on to msn live.

thnx for ur help:haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back