New Motherboard. Windows Xp not working. Setup Cd doesnt load

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi. i got a new mother board and replaced it with my old one because it was faulty, i am sure i have everything in the right place, but when i turn on the computer windows xp loads a little bit then goes to a blue error screen. i have read many other forums saying that i have to put in the xp setup cd and repair it but.. when i put the cd in then boot it the cd loads the setup but just before i can choose the option for installation it goes back to that same blue error screen. any other way beside losing all my files?
help please =(

Please more details

From your post, it is not clear if you simply replaced the motherboard and expected everything to 'just work' after that. Sorry if I underestimate your knowledge, but if I happen to be right, you MUST install your motherboard drivers .... the only exception would be if replacing with an identical motherboard, and that, given the rate of change, would be almost impossible.

Please post back with more info.

Hi,

Write down exactly what stop error you get with regards to the blue screen error you get when you are trying to do this and post back with that info so that we can establish what issues it is you are having.

Then we can try to help you from there.

this has been seen before. first, what kind of mobo?
1. faulty ram sticks can cause problem with os. take them out one at a time and reboot each time to see which one is the faulty one.
2. your power supply can cause probelm. new mobo's require a lot more power to different components that once used to feed from a single source. new mobos require power supplies from 350 watts up. i had a 250 power supply that used to fail with new mobo and crash windows.
3. corrupted files on your windows cd. i've had that happened to me also. if the cd is scratched or damaged. best way is to post exact error number, so that it could be looked up in microsoft knowledge base.

Lots of possibilities but check all hardware first. Check that RAM is compatable. Check that all drive cables secure and all drives jumpered correctly. Strip MB to bare essentials 1 stick RAM, HD video card, CD. Try the "safe" defaults in BIOS. Download memtest and run it (either off floppy or download and burn the iso version to CD.) I'd probably throw in a "alternate" HD until you find the problem. That will save your data at least. You can always add it later as a secondary drive or if you get your system running then try to "repair install". It is possible that your "faulty" motherboard took the HD with it.

Note that Windows XP cannot, repeat, cannot handle a complete mobo change. It can handle it when u change a peripheral or two but for it to reconfigure itself for a new mobo is downright impossible, unless the new one is an exact replica of the old one. So my guess is, u'll have to reinstall XP.

HAL aka Hardware Abstraction Layer and solution

Windows XP has afaik a dll called hal.dll or something to that extent which is the hardware abstraction layer which when you install windows xp detects all the hardware you have ( mainly your motherboard and such like ) so when you do change your motherboard you have to first of all back up all your data that you want to keep just to make sure that you dont lose anything and then second of all do a repair install so that it re runs the hal to take into consideration that new hardware.

Read here for changing hardware or moving to new hardware in windows xp :

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Take a look here for the repair install :

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You should really give more details, and make the first post more descriptive.

If you installed a new motherboard that is not the same model as your old one - it's the Windows HAL that's causing this.
The only time Windows configures it's HAL is during initial setup, using Windows Repair wont probably fix a thing since the whole HAL has to be rewritten from scratch.

If the HAL is bugged, you'll have to do a clean reinstall of Windows, that's the only way out of this.

I was right...

What I was reffering to is his case - both opt1 and opt2 are not viable anymore for his case!
If I understood correctly - he booted with a new MoBo a few times and got the BSOD every time - there goes opt1 :( (by trying to boot the chance of repair process to complete is very low now - the whole repair process will probably also end up with a BSOD now)
He didnt change any drivers to the default Windows ones before the upgrade - if he did there wouldn't be a BSOD when booting - no opt2 :(

So both opt1 and opt2 aren't viable for him anymore...

Rage 3K is correct, unless the board is identical, you will get blue screens. Save yourself alot of headaches and do a clean install of Windows XP. Even if there is a miracle and you do get your motherboard up and running without a reload, instability will be a huge issue. You have to remember that there are drivers and software for every componant on your old motherboard installed in Windows on your hard drive....your new motherboard's componants, chipset, etc, will be different. Hence the blue screen.

REPAIR installs can usually fix this. Went from VIA to nVidia1 and nvidia1 to 3 using repair install's. The OP seems to have problems even attempting to do a repair install. Yes there are warnings of "don't log on to XP before doing a "repair" install" but the repair install, if done before one tries to logon (personally I did try to logon w/ the VIA to nVida MB change but still could do a repair install, maybe I just got lucky :)) SHOULDN'T be a problem LOL.
Anyways OP seems to be crashing and burning long before he should be even w/ a bad HAL.HOW TO SWAP OUT MB

I never got lucky - the repair never worked for me (in case of MoBo upgrade), the HAL always remained bugged in some way resulting in BSODs, gave up on it a long time ago.

Even if he manages to repair the installation, I wouldn't recommend it.
If you prepare for a reinstall, the procedure won't take long, and I think he would be much better off doing a complete reinstall.

@jeffkrol
Well, I would like if the repair worked when upgrading to the same chipset maker (Via to Via, nV to nV upgrade), but even if it worked with a switch from Via to nV, I would never do it, just imagine how much junk remains and what if some registry entries remain - stability issues?
Even if these are not the problem, I would still feel safer doing a clean reinstall :)

BTW Yokomodo, you dont need to lose all the files, if you want to be sure that you dont forget anything, just delete the Windows folder, nothing else, and then do a reinstall - not the most effective way for sure, but at least everything remains at the place it was before.

Arcanum said:
I never got lucky - the repair never worked for me (in case of MoBo upgrade), the HAL always remained bugged in some way resulting in BSODs, gave up on it a long time ago.

Even if he manages to repair the installation, I wouldn't recommend it.
If you prepare for a reinstall, the procedure won't take long, and I think he would be much better off doing a complete reinstall.

@jeffkrol
Well, I would like if the repair worked when upgrading to the same chipset maker (Via to Via, nV to nV upgrade), but even if it worked with a switch from Via to nV, I would never do it, just imagine how much junk remains and what if some registry entries remain - stability issues?
Even if these are not the problem, I would still feel safer doing a clean reinstall :)

BTW Yokomodo, you dont need to lose all the files, if you want to be sure that you dont forget anything, just delete the Windows folder, nothing else, and then do a reinstall - not the most effective way for sure, but at least everything remains at the place it was before.

sorry to here of your bad luck. As a side note I just spent 6 weeks trying to find out why I couldn't do a normal boot after doing a repair install (MB or CPU died unexpectedly) Could only normally boot w/ the/sos switch in the boot.ini. My threads here.
ERROR
Ended up a simple "file swap" cured the problem. I'm probably one of the few people that has been successfull "carrying junk" from Win 95 all the way to XP, with a very brief stop at ME... yucch. My system may be slower than it should and my "hive" is definitely bloated but it still works. I really really need a cleaning but since 2002 I've only had 5 or 6 BSOD's according to the minidumps. Not a recommendation, just a glimmer of hope :)
As to saving his files I'd just buy a new HD. Reinstall XP then add the old HD
delete the win folder, copy and paste what I can from the old then reformat it. Never can have too much space. Still think he has a hardware problem somewhere. Personally never had XP BSOD w/ the setup CD.
As you can see from this (and I learned the hard way) there is a long convoluted process even before HAL loads (loads after the kernel which the OP never got to)and the "real" OS. CD.NT BOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back