Onboard sound for Asus P5GPL-X Mobo not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I'm trying to resolve an issue with the onboard sound device for my ASUS P5GPL-X motherboard not working. Here's the message that I sent to their tech support:

The sound device built into the motherboard won't work. Windows is recognizing it only as a "PCI Device" but has no driver. When I run the SoundMAX ADI1986A Audio Driver software on the install disc, it returns an error ("The audio files do not support your computer hardware"). I called yesterday and was advised to reinstall Windows. I did that, no improvement. This is a new install on a new PC, so it seems unlikely that old drivers are the problem.

Their (unhelpful) response:

All the drivers on the support cd will work for your motherboard. If it will not allow you to install the driver, then this has to be because it's conflicting with other devices. If you show pci device in device manager, that indicates that the driver has not been installed. When you first setup this system, you have to limit the system down to the bare minimum components. Videocard, memory, processor, 1 hard drive, 1 cdrom, and fl! oppy. Format and reinstall windows. Once windows is installed, then you have to install the support cd that came with the motherboard, and install all the drivers on the cd in the order that they're listed. Videocard drivers would be installed last. Once doing that, you should be able to look in device manager, and there shouldn't be any conflicts or question marks, except for universal serial bus controllers.

I'm kind of at a loss here. Reinstalling Windows won't help since it was a fresh install both times. The system itself consists only of the minimum components, so there's nothing that I can take out and still turn it on.

I suppose that I could just get a separate sound card, but that defeats the purpose of buying a mobo with onboard sound.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

WHen you reinstalled windows did you install your motherboard drivers before trying to install the sound drivers?

iss said:
WHen you reinstalled windows did you install your motherboard drivers before trying to install the sound drivers?

Yes. The ASUS CD had a specific order of installation (which I followed), and that was the first one. Could it be because I'm using a USB mouse/keyboard? Doesn't make any sense, but I'm running out of ideas.

:dead:

Alan

using a USB keyboard or mouse should not be the problem. I am assuming that you are using XP do you have SP2 installed?

I have the same problem!

I have exactly the same problem! Have you solve it ? ANy solutionS?

I have tried re installing windows several times... but still, the audio driver dont want to install.

For lack of a better suggestion, go into the BIOS and make sure the onboard sound is enabled. It should be already but just in case.......

I have check in the BIOS, and Audio is enabled.

Here is my hardware :
CPU : Intel PIV 32.ghz 640
MOBO : ASUS P5GPL-X with integrated Ethernet, audio and USB ports
80 GB SATA 8M
MEMORY 512 MB + 512 MB MAJOR
Graphic Card 6200 nvidia 128 mb
LG DVD Burner +-RW 16X
RAIDMAX 420 W TOWER

There seems to be a hardware conflict. Is there any ways to diagnose hardware conflicts?

My hardware is quite minimal. I cannot really remove any part. What should I do, next ?

Windows tell me the following conflicts/shared :

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 10 Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL PCI Express Root Port - 2581
IRQ 10 PCI Device

Memory Address 0xFFF80000-0xFFFFFFFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFFF80000-0xFFFFFFFF Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device

I/O Port 0x00000400-0x0000041F Motherboard resources
I/O Port 0x00000400-0x0000041F Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A

IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF Motherboard resources