problem with folder actions on right click / default double click

Status
Not open for further replies.

mke

Hi, have i relative small but really disturbing problem.
i somehow by mistake when i was checking the control panel --> folder options --> file types --> file folder --> advance changed the sequence of the folder actions and whenever i pressed double click on a folder it enqueed the folder to winamp. i somehow fixed this and now setup a default open action entry on that file folder which somehow works.
My problem now with this is that all folders that i double click are opened to a seperate window which after few clicks ends to quite a few new windows which i really dont need or want. before everything opened on the same folder and now i have this mayhem. i tried with the browse folder options tick to same windows but does not work anymore. i know that it is down to what i did to it by mystake but i cant really stand this anymore. please help. pretty please.
i dont know what else to do, searched around internet to find the solution but had no luck and besides now i cant even edit that open action i created.

any ideas much much appreciated. any solution rewarded :)

thank you in advance

If nobody has a better suggestion,don`t forget system restore.It`s been known to work,sometimes,occasionally,maybe.

i know that system restore is an option but i consider it the last of all options, its better to format in my opinion than to do this. i know that my problem is really simple and someone that had come upon this before would have no problem of knowing/finding the command i need to add on the actions in folders options. the one i used before was: explorer.exe %1
but this only allows to open the double clicked folder into a new window, hence the mayhem i have when i browse around my folders.
i need a command similar to this probably that allows to open the folder on the same window, as its usually by default on windows.
restoring and formating my sys again is rather hopefully a no no as it will take me a long time to setup all my equipment again.

hope someone knows the solution to this.

If you don`t like my first suggestion,I have others.

I found this thread - http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=47627
The problem described is slightly different,but the solution might be the same.

After reading the thread,I think you need either the "Directory Extension Fix" - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm OR The "Folder Association Fix" I`m betting on the first one.

You`d better create a system restore point,or backup the registry first.Not that I think either fix will
cause a problem.

hello, ok first few attempts didnt work but the last one where basically a deletion of all action entries in the registry seems to do the trick. I am very thankfull for your time and effort altough cant say i used the links as i found this http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1029903746 which was exactly the solution to my prob. again thanks for your help. hope someone else will find this topic interesting as i have had this same prob many times and this is the first time that i end up without a restore/format :) yippie.

anyways.
thanks again

tara :bounce:

Peddant said:
If you don`t like my first suggestion,I have others.

I found this thread - ....
You`d better create a system restore point,or backup the registry first.Not that I think either fix will
cause a problem.

The directory extension fix fixed my problem too! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back