Is 7900GTX worth it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

My brother is going to the USA NYC and I am asking him to pick me up a 7900GTX graphics card from there. Prices are a bit cheaper there than the UK. But at the same time alot of new things seem to be coming out this summer.

So, is it worth getting the 7900GTX now???

ps.

Is there anything else good to get from the states also thats not available in the UK????

Always a tough call to make predictions like this...

My take on it? Why the hell would anyone get a 7900GTX??? ;)

Unless of course you simply like to have the best of the best for the sake of being able to say so. Completely understandable of course.

I have a 7800GTX and runs all the newest games on high settings, and it is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the 7900GTX. The newest cards have that extra couple hundred dollars tagged on because they currently have the performance crown. That is why I always buy the 2nd newest generation.

Of course, this is just an opinion and I am sure some would disagree. Just seems like a waste of money to me is all. I can't imagine enjoying a game any more than I do with my 7800GTX.

I am already making a £100 saving compared to buying one from the UK. MY worry is that the new nvidia comes out in June and i cant run the new games that come out this and next year.

Well my plan is to get like a 6800XT or GT/GS for now because they can pretty much play anything at a reasonable rate anyways; then wait for vista and the new DX10 cards to come out before upgrading the video card. Cuz theres always a chance that the DX9 cards wont be able to play DX10 games. Not really worth it to blow 500+ dallors on a video card if it cant play the DX10 games comming out next year.

interesting. I always thought the orient got the latest stuff. I remember when I was stationed in Korea, you could get stuff there that wasn't available back in the U.S.

Tedster, that is certainly true for some things. Take cell phones for example. I was watching TV on my cell phone about 4 years ago. My current cell phone has GPS and the ability to change the channels on my TV using infra-red.

But for graphics cards? ATI and nvidia are N.American companies so you won't get any delays at all, if anything it is the opposite.

When the direct X10 games come out would that mean i have to throw the 7900gtx in the bin? Would I be able to install direct X10? Isnt it just software drivers???

At this point, it is anyone's guess. Hopefully any game put out in DX10 will also be backwards compatible, but there is always that chance that there will be some DX10 ONLY games that come out eventually.

Another good reason to NOT get a top of the line DX9 card right now.

I think buying a 7900gtx will be risky business from reading around. Crumbs.... i had my mind set on a 7900gtx for quite a while aswell!!! In which case what would you recommend as a good buy then???......

PhysX?

Would I be able to install direct X10? Isnt it just software drivers???

No that's the thing with DX10 it's a whole new GPU architecture, much like or better then the XBox360. In fact DX10 will only be available on the Vista OS, not released as an outgrade in XP.
Take a look at the article posted HERE

Cheers.

Hm a good buy would be a DX10 video card comming out next year... haha. but like my post above... buy something that can play what you want for now..., something fairly cheap like 200 or less then when the time comes around and they release the DX10 cards; you can upgrade and decide then. If all goes well, DX10 & Vista will be here for a while so you wont have to worry about upgrading for a while after that... hopefully...

I say get something from..., sorta depends on the games you wanna play but, like 6600-7800GT... maybe? Depends on the game and if you absolutely must have everything on max or not... for me as long as it looks alright and plays alright then im alright...:) Latez!

technology moves fast

ok shawn2k5 who says that vista wont be replaced as fast as xp will be. My version of xp only came out four years ago. granted four years is a long time but not for the price of these cards.
whoeverposted this originally technology is moving ever faster and u will never be able to keep up. basically if u want top[ performance buy a 360 or ps3. u dont need to upgrade them and they are the forefront of all the new games. either way ur pocketbook will get ever thinner so i hope u have a good job.

ps:shawn2k5 do u have a cousin named mason? j/w

IH8PunkRok said:
ok shawn2k5 who says that vista wont be replaced as fast as xp will be. My version of xp only came out four years ago. granted four years is a long time but not for the price of these cards.
whoeverposted this originally technology is moving ever faster and u will never be able to keep up. basically if u want top[ performance buy a 360 or ps3. u dont need to upgrade them and they are the forefront of all the new games. either way ur pocketbook will get ever thinner so i hope u have a good job.

ps:shawn2k5 do u have a cousin named mason? j/w

To "whoesoever" posted the above previous post..... What can i do if you havnt got a good job.Hey set up your own business its much better than working for someone ;) .....its no use sobbing. BTW PS3 graphics will be left behind for nobodys like you buy whilst the new graphics card push the limits.

I very well know that pc components are more perishable comodoties than groceries; i just have a chance to get a top spec graphics card due to the cheaper prices in the states. Thats all. this reply is to whoesoever posted the previous post.

Agree what DonNagual just said..

..i don't think its worth for all that money right now.. instead get 7800 or 7900GT something like this one.. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=190765&AFFIL=pg&NR=1
and u still have some money to burn games or another fun stuff But however if its "must have" hardware then u have no choice.. :D annddd what ever PC hardware u buy today its anyway junk tomorrow..don't waste your time to worry too much about that ;)

If it helps, I read that the 7900GTX will be compatible with Vista and I just checked the Nvidia site and they say, "Built for Microsoft Windows Vista." So by extension, it should be DX10 compatible too.

I don't have a problem with someone getting the top of the line graphics card. If you want one, get it.

If it states that on the nVidia site.....and it doesnt support DX10 when vista comes out.....nVidia better get ready for a lawsuit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back