Windows XP Theme trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All, I am currently having a little trouble dealing with my Windows XP themes. I cannot choose any other theme other than the Windows classic theme. When i choose something else (the window xp theme is somehow missing) such as Energy Blue theme, a window pops up and says that It cannot start the the theme because the Theme service is not running. So I made my way into the services and started it up. Well that didn't work it says the process is started and going but It still won't let me change themes. I can live with this but I much perfer the other looks to this. If anyone can help please do. Thanks in advance :)

Ok thanks for the links. Well I tried all those and am still coming up with nothing. Here are the system specs:

Windows XP SP1
Athlon XP 2600+
1GB Kingston RAM
80GB HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

For the benefit of anybody else with theme problems,here is a summary of the most common fixes.If none of these fix it,the problem could be spyware related.

1. Right click the My Computer icon/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings. Verify that: Use visual styles on windows
and buttons is checked.
2. Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View. User Common Tasks in Folders.
3. Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance. Windows and Buttons choose: Windows XP style.
4. Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to Themes and verify that the service is started.

Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. Set to Automatic. Also check your settings here:

Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. At the bottom ensure that Hardware Profile Original Configuration is Enabled.

If the above doesn't apply/nor help: Only windows Classic is listed under Appearance:

1. Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.
2. On the Theme tab, choose the Windows XP.
3. If this option is missing, you may choose Browse... to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme
4. The Luna.theme is the theme of the Windows XP.

If Luna.theme is missing: Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Expand Files: Luna.MS_ and Luna.TH_

Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Restore Themes Functionality (Line 187)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic or (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

Yes I came up with that kellys-corner page earlier when i was googling it and I tried that method and still no luck. BUT nonetheless the problem is fixed. A little while ago a box came up that said it needed to replace some unrecognized files and it did that then I restarted the comupter and now the themes are back so its all better now. Thanks for the knowlegeable responses. :)

It never really said, it just called them unrecognized files and had me either replace or cancel the replacement of the files, it was probably some system files. I had been having trouble with Service Pack 2 so I had to do a repair install and it took me back to the first build of Win XP. So maybe some junk files got left over from the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back