I need help on upgrading ram....

Status
Not open for further replies.

neild79

i need help upgrading ram... i can install ram myself but need help on what kind of ram i can install. i have an amd athlon 64 3000+ 2ghz cpu, 256mb ddr pc3200, asrock k8vm800 motherboard with only 2 ram slots. i want to know if i can take out my 256mb + fit in 2 1gb corsair ram, or would i need to get a new motherboard. i want to upgrade in the future to sli, + dont know if my mobo is capable....any help is appreciated.

neild79 said:
i want to know if i can take out my 256mb + fit in 2 1gb corsair ram
Yes, this will work fine in your motherboard. I'd just say be sure to get DDR-400 memories so they might have some lasting power or be usable in future upgrades down the road.

i want to upgrade in the future to sli, + dont know if my mobo is capable....any help is appreciated.
Nope. It's a single AGP-only mainboard with no PCI-Express slots. For SLI, you need two(2) PCI-Express slots.

Epox makes an SLI/Socket 754 motherboard if you chose to go this direction in the future and salvage ddr400 memories and your current CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123257

I would say wait though as it makes more sense to get a new cpu as well, at which point you can move up to AMD's socket 939 or AM2.

1. Yes you can put 2 x 1GB RAM in that mobo

2. No, you can't use SLI with that board. there are a couple boards for socket-754 which are also SLI capable. but in my opinion with prices of socket 939 & AM2 getting cheaper there's no point in staying with 754. 939 and AM2 performs better than 754 and since you're going to buy new RAM and a mobo anyways, you should also get a new CPU.

before you buy your RAM, you should decide if you're going to keep your 754 (not recommended), upgrade to 939 (best value), or upgrade to AM2 (best for future upgrades). 754 and 939 both use DDR, AM2 uses DDR2.

EDIT: sharkfood beat me to it, but you get the idea :)

if i upgrade to 939 socket mobo will i have to replace the chips + cpu or can i use the ones on my 754? if not how much would it cost for a decent cpu + chips?

i don't know what you mean by "chips"... but if you are referring to RAM, then the answer is yes you can reuse the RAM from your 754 system. if you're not referring to RAM then I don't know what you mean.

i don't really understand what you're saying. 3 posts up you say "cpu + chips", but 1 post up you say you meant just the CPU?

The motherboard socket must match the CPU socket (and vise-versa) so the answer is yes, you will need a socket-939 CPU. they are pretty cheap now.

but since your other posts suggest that you plan on buying a new CPU/mobo/RAM/video card(s) anyways, i see no reason why you should not get the lastest AMD platform (AM2). the word on the street is that AMD will soon be dramatically dropping prices on AM2 processors, however we won't know to what extent until the Intel Conroe prices are confirmed.

also, I hate to suggest buying from the "big giant" ;), but you may also want to consider an Intel Conroe based system.

if i was to buy an asus a8n sli premium socket 939 nvidia nforce 4 sli atx amd motherboard would i need a new cpu? if so i have seen the amd athlon 64 x2 4600+ manchester 2000mhz ht2 x512kb cache socket 939 dual core processor, would this go with my mobo? would it be good for playing newer games if i bought 2x 7600gt in sli formation 0r 1x 7900gtx + 1 7600gt? also if possible could you tell me how much the dual core cpu would cost? 1 last thing if i bought these items would i need to buy anything else to build my own gaming pc? thank you very much for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back