Uninstalled video drivers to update, now monitor gets no signal after uninstal reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I bought a new 19" ws lcd monitor to replace my titanic sized crt yesterday. I got it all hooked up with no problems; everything worked fine and looked great. My ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 128MB video card is supposed to have a TV-Tuner which I haven't used in a while. It trns out the driver for it was fully functional so I downloaded the most recent drivers for my video card from the ATI website. They suggested using an uninstall program from their site before updating the drivers. I used the program which uninstalled all pre-existing ATI drivers, files, and programs. Once the unistall was complete I was prompted to finally reboot for the new setting to take effect. I didn;t fully think about this and rebooted. Now it seems my video card is not recognized at all. I get absolutely no input signal to the monitor. The tower boots fine. I blindly booted it and shut it down with the keyboard, but my monitor remains blank or showing the "No Input Signal" message. At no point does anything from the tower display on the monitor now. I've even tried switching back to the old non-DVI monitor, but no dice....

To me, the obvious solution would be to reinstall the video drivers, but I'm presented with the problem that I can't see what I'm doing at all. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

Colin

Only problem is I don't get any display even at the start of the boot cycle. I can't see when to hit F8 or when I'm being prompted to choose my boot method.

That`s not good and to tell you the truth, I don`t know what to suggest.

Have you got another graphics card you can try?

Maybe try your graphics card in another computer.

Regards Howard :)

Actually, rather than trying my card in another pc, I can try another pc's card in my tower. If I can get the display to work I can install the new drivers for my "good" card. Luckily I have another tower setup 4' away from mine.

Colin

I swapped a different video card into my PC and it booted fine. I then installed all the driver files for my good pre-existing video card and swapped that back in. It works fine now, although while I was putting the cheap video card back into our other PC, it tried to boot itself as soon as I started pushing the video card into place. I forgot to hit the main power switch on the back of the tower. Oops. Now that PC won't boot. I think I may have cooked the motherboard. I tested the video card and harddrives and they still work. Lesson learned....

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back