HELP !!! PSU or Video Card....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimShady23

Ok, this after noon, shut my pc down to take the side panal off (installing a fan on the side panal) few hours later I went to turn it back on to look up some info and the system starts being an ***.....Powers up for a second, shuts off, powers up shuts off, powers up, shuts off well you get the point.....

So right away I figure its my power supply....So I hurried my **** up and ordered a new one from newegg before their 12 noon cut off time so Id have it tomorrow.

Well after I god done ordering the PSU I figured see if my power switch is sticking, nope....I unpluged all 5 of my hard drives...tried starting it up..nope...same thing

Then I unplugged my 8800GTX and turned the system on....This time I got it to power up without seeming like it was short on power but I got the no video card installed beeps and the system shut itself off a few seconds later...

So I am assuming that my PSU blew a nut recently. The thing that I dont get is why does the systems keep trying to boot up..Usually when a system shuts off from lack of power the system stays off it dont try and turn itself back on like its doing to me...mine will run a sec, shut down, turn itself back on....it will do this as long as you let it.

I am using an Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi edition....maybe its somthing unique to this board IDK

Anyone got any other idea instead of a blown PSU wich is my estimate.....

Seeing as it was working fine before you opened it up to fit a new fan, it is a possibility that you may have unwittingly nudged something loose. If I were you I would remove and re-seat things like the ram, all cards, all connectors, and maybe even the processor to see if there is any improvement. If that makes no difference, try resetting your cmos, your mobo manual will tell you how to do that.

What make and wattage is your PSU and how many amps does it have on the 12 vault rail?

Hi Jim,

1. It sounds like something may be short-circuiting. maybe a screw fell behind the motherboard when you opened it? make sure that nothing metal fell anywhere that could be shorting something out.

2. if that doesn't fix it, since you already ordered a new PSU, you may as well try that next.

3. if that doesn't fix it, then try rik's suggestion of resetting CMOS.

4. if that doesn't fix it, then I would suggest you remove everything from the case, clean it, and "table test" it 1 component at a time until you find the "problem component". removing everything from the case would also verify if a short circuit (grounding the mobo) was to blame

cheers :wave:

Mobo Or CPU

Well it wasnt the PSU, and no other componant....Except maybe the CPU...

Got the new PSU today, and nothing still doing the same thing....

Took the board out of my case, (nothing shorting it out as you suggested King Cody) layed it on my clean (wood) workbench. The only thing left in the board was the CPU and Fan....Powered up the board via my fancy liittle switch I made and still did the same thing, powered up, died, powered up died. So just for fun I unplugged the CPU fan....did the same thing....power up died.... The only other thing that it could be is a bad CPU but I have built lots and lots of systems over (100 in 2006) and never NEVER got a bad CPU from either AMD or Intel....Worst thing I have ever got is a AMD with a few bent pins but it still worked just fine......

Lets just hope this is another case of a bad MOBO. And lets hope that it just died a subtle death and didnt take out any of my other componants ESPECIALLY MY 8800GTX or CPU lol.

I have a new board on the way I'll keep you updated if my crisis gets worst :D

pentium cpu's are designed to shut off power if the temperature reaches the dangerous thershold, to prevent damage to the cpu. that's why when it gets too hot, it shuts off, and when it cools off, it starts back up. you may want to see if the cpu fan is working ok and is attached closely to the cpu with heat paste. you can also check your voltages to see if all the required voltages are outputing correctly from the psu.

Rocks

Concidering my other system was by no means slow, I was impressed at how much faster the new Intel chips really are.....

Game FPS is up about a 30-60%

And I can rip and shrink a dvd in about 25 minutes when it took about 40 with my previous setup....

So basically I am impressed with the performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back