Cannot Delete: Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

res0hncx

I uninstalled Ultima Online and it left all these files on my computer that I can't delete because it says Access Denied. I can't copy/cut/delete/rename/or remove their read-only attributes. I have UO installed in a different directory now, but I can't play it because the client I use to join the free server I play want to use the old directory to launch the game. :( Please help

Try restarting the computer, they are probably still in use for some reason. If you can't delete them after you restart then post back and we'll give another solution.

You could always boot into Safemode to delete the files. Just press F8 at the windows XP bootup screen.

ah good idea! I reinstalled it but it wouldnt even let me reinstall it in the same directory because of those files. I'll try safe-mode, but how do i get out of safemode when I'm done?

Just reboot, it should restart in normal mode.

If deleting in safe mode doesn't work, you might wan tto try something like Norton's Wipe Info or a similar utility. I've had problems with files not letting me delete them but Wipe info seems to not care and will delete them anyway.

Sometimes the files can't be deleted because they don't actually exist, and are simply showing up due to having entries in the FAT saying they exist when they don't. You should be able to delete those entries (files) from the winxp recovery console when you boot from the winxp CD.

maybe they are actually in use (although if it wont work in safe mode then that's odd)?

start->run->"msconfig"

click on the startup tab and untick anything that looks like it's related to your game or those files, then reboot and try deleting.

otherwise something's messed.

filthy_mcnasty: I have checked already and I know it is not running

Nic: thanks for the idea, but I dont have my xp CD right now :(

well I have no A drive on the computer with the undeletable files...can I put the disk in my other computer and delete the files over a network? also how does this program work? where can i delete files?

Try holding down the shift key while you delete - this bypasses the Recycle Bin, and in my experience allows you to delete files that otherwise give you an Access Denied message.

This works for deleting using the Delete key on your keyboard, and also while doing a right click > delete.

Open command prompt, run "openfiles". This lists all open files on your computer and what process is having them open.

openfiles flashed up for a second then closed, didnt have time to read it.

I just found this thread:
http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/11280-1.html

I get to the following steps:

1. Right-click the folder you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

I am running xp sp1 same as he is, but there is no security tab or owner tab. :/

Damned!

I guess I have been sold a Windows 98 disguised as XP since Run->msconfig sure works for me!

Originally posted by Jameson653
Sorry, Run->Msconfig doesn't work on Windows 2K or XP, they just don't have them, trust me I tried
2k does not have it, but you can toss it on. XP I assure you has it, both Home and Pro versions.

I've come across this same issue several times, and this is my workaround.

Open a command prompt : Start -> Run -> cmd [enter]

navigate to the directory with the file you want to remove

Open Task Manager : [right click] Taskbar -> Task Manager

On the processes tab, select Explorer.exe, click end process

Click OK

In the command prompt, delete the files:
del *.*
cd..
rd [directory]

Back to Task Manger, Click File -> New Task
Explorer.exe

and you're done.

As daft as it may sound I have been able to delete such files by just renaming them, but I have to admit it doesn't always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back