Sony USB flash driver help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just received a USB 8gb Sony Vaio flash driver, but when ever I transfer a file larger then 100 megs to this devise the file is corrupted and will not open ( software or videos both )
I'm running XP home with SP2, the software that came with it is for Windows 98 &ME

Any thoughts

You should not (have) install(ed) the software for sure.

Now, is the file corrupt even when you try to open it right away? Or do you mean that the file is corrupt after removing and reattaching the flash drive? If it's the latter, then are using the "safely remove" icon to detach the device?

Also, once you have corrupted the filesystem, it would be a good idea to reformat the drive to get a clean start.

Uninstall the software in question and reformat the flash drive as Nodsu suggested.

If you are still experiencing corruption at that point, you may want to reinstall the USB drivers for your machine and/or have the flash drive tested on another machine. Flash can go bad, and corrupted data is a result of that.

The file is bad as soon as you download it if its over 100 megs, if it's under 100 megs it works fine, I have removed all the software prior to asking for help and the software was not installed when I first found this problem, I installed it thinking it would solve the problem

I just came from E bay and found that the seller of this Flash drive is nolonger a member as of yesterday, sucks to be me Eh

Just a thought, but are you sure that the file was fully downloaded to the drive? Many times, a USB drive does not accept the full amount advertised (i.e. a 1gb drive won't actually accept 1gb). Do the drive properties actually show more than 100mb of free space? Have you tried scandisk to check for bad sectors?

simple. Go in to computer management, disc management under windows XP and reformat the drive.

TEDSTER
If I right click on the drive ( G : ) it lets me format it in FAT 32 but for some odd reason any file over 100megs ends up corrupt and 100 megs seems to be the cut off point any in the 90 megs seem to work just fine

Musiclover
It's a Sony Vaio 8GB flash drive, I have a USB 2.0 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back