Graphics Card For My Computer--- Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

destroyer111

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but here we go.

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 Series and specific a 5108US.

Wondering what would be the best video card for this computer to play
full 3D games like WoW or others.

Current Specs:

Processor - AMD Athlon Processor 1.2 GHz

Ram - 376MB (Need to Upgrade too XD)

Graphic - S3 Prosavge (Does not support 3D acceration which is why I need
to change it)

Power Supply - 250 Watts (If it requires change for graphic please tell me)

MotherBoard - VIA

Others - 1 AGP slot with 1 more standard PCI slot opened

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New to this site.

Thanks.

Nvidia makes a 7950 GT with 550mhz core 1300mhz memory 44.8GB/sec. bandwidth. 256 bits and 512mb.($269) Then there's the Nvidia 7900 GS w/ close to those specs($199). The 7600 GT is a good card for ($169). The 7800 GS (Nvidia) is a real good card and the price of those is really dropping. I think you can find one for about $150 @ Fry's electronics on sale.

How much are you willing to spend in total for the new card, RAM and power supply? Also, where do you live? Based on that, I can give you some recommendations.

Did you even mention the motherboard you are running? Using AGP or PCI-E? And of course PSU is a most important thing to think of before trying to upgrade any part of your system. Hope this helps.

Oh Sorry about that.

I have a VIA Motherboard and live in Colorado.
And just send me prices I'll spend as much as I need to spend.

Btw can't I also get a ATI Raideon 9600XT??

I heard its a pretty good graphics and only 80 to 180 bucks and it supports 3D right?

First off, tell me what you need the card for i.e. what games are you planning to play with it? As for the RAM, you won't be able to find much of it, since it's the ages-old SDRAM type which your motherboard supports. I'd suggest a completely new PC, since this one is way long in the tooth, seeing that it was released all the way back in 2001. If you give me a budget, I can whip you up a PC meeting your specific requirements.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
First off, tell me what you need the card for i.e. what games are you planning to play with it? As for the RAM, you won't be able to find much of it, since it's the ages-old SDRAM type which your motherboard supports. I'd suggest a completely new PC, since this one is way long in the tooth, seeing that it was released all the way back in 2001. If you give me a budget, I can whip you up a PC meeting your specific requirements.

I couldn't agree more with Rage. Destroyer111, you need to think over first before making decision since your computer has been around for few years and tech stuff moves forwards as we speak, it is too damn fast. Upgrading your system now would be a pain and cost as much as buying a new pc. Well the only thing you can keep now is the monitor and most probably the case without the psu. If you are willing to spend as much as you can spend then why don't you just buy a new PC?

What I was planning to play was World of WarCraft and only needed 200 more RAM to be able to play and better graphics that supports 3D Accelerater.

My budget now is around 200 and I found the ATI Raideon 9600XT at Best Buy for Around 100 bucks.

Wondering if this would work cuz I'm just not looking for a new PC right now.

if this pc is as old as it sounds then you'll want to go on the crucial(.com) website and check how much ram your motherboard can support

i have an old socket A mobo that refuses to die :D i've upgraded it quite a bit, the only original parts of my pc being the mobo and a hard drive

if your pc is socket A then you could get an athlon xp (i'd recommend xp-m), a decent amount of ram, a 400w power supply and a pretty good graphics card. there are some really good agp cards out there now, i have a BFG 6800GS OC which goes quite nicely :D

do you know exactly what model your mobo is? it might tell you if you go on the crucial website but i'm not quite sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back