Newless case from ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can try the manufactuer website or priceline.com (or similar)... other than that cases are pretty generic -not much to review.

if you already bought it, then why do you need to see a review? it's just a case :rolleyes:

but anyways, I have that exact case, so I'll write a quick "review" of it for ya...

overall, I've been happy with it but I never expected much out of a computer case either. it's a cheap/generic case and the quality (or lack there of) shows. it's made of very thin steel (which bends very easily and is difficult to straighten out again), the panels don't fit very well. the plastic is very brittle and breaks easily (the box that my case came in was in perfect condition, but two plastic panels had cracked). it's certainly no Antec 900

the bottom line is: you get what you pay for. it's nothing special but it does the job fine (and it looks cool too)

oh and BTW, ditch the garbage power supply that comes with it. a cheap case poses no danger to your system, but a cheap PSU can destroy everything ;)

yeah i wasnt going to use that psu, but thankz for your info, the only reason the case was for the window and the temp lcd in the front

yeah, it is a cool looking case IMO.

I love that LCD temp display on the front. it's actually very accurate, at least on mine it is. (I verified it's accuracy with an infared thermometer).

enjoy your new case :wave:

ok the case came in, i got a problem now, the temp probe it reading 26c on cpu but my bios says 80c, when i was using my old case the bios says 40c, what should i do

well, you actually have two problems...

1. your CPU is running too hot. while moving the mobo into the new case you must have dislodged the heatsink. you'll have to clean the heatsink and CPU, and re-apply new thermal compound.

2. your second problem is the location of the CPU temp probe (thermocouple) for the front panel display. normally you can expect a difference of a few degrees between the BIOS reading and your panel display reading, but a 54°C difference means that the probe is not close enough to the CPU. push the probe under the heatsink until it touches the CPU core. the core on an AthlonXP is thicker than the temp probe, so that gives you enough space to push the probe all the way to the core.

since you'll have to remove the heatsink anyways, it would be easiest to hot-glue the probe in place before you re-mount the heatsink, that way you know it's placed close enough to get a good reading, and by hot-gluing it in pace you know it will stay there.

good luck :)

well i fixed it but i broke the cpu probe, is there any way to replace it. i guess i need to me more careful, i might just use hdd probe on the cpu

don't feel bad, I broke all my original probes too. the tape that comes on it is not strong enough to hold itself together (another reason todoubt the overall quality of the case ;)). they seem to break just by looking at them wrong :lol:

yes, you can replace them with another thermocouple. I had a bunch of extra thermocouples lying around from an old DigitalDoc5 temp display. if you don't have any extra thermocouples, I'm not sure if/where you can buy them.

for now, just do what tyou already suggested and use your HDD sensor instead.

:wave:

well thanz for your help KingCody, i will get some probes from the computer store here in town, the case was well worth the little money i spent on it. i will post pics of case soon

KingCody said:
oh and BTW, ditch the garbage power supply that comes with it. a cheap case poses no danger to your system, but a cheap PSU can destroy everything ;)
PSUs that come with cases generally of extremely inferior quality and when they do blow can take out your system and/or components. It is best to ditch 'em or better yet, get a case without it and save some money.

dustin_ds3000 said:
does anyone else have anything to say about this
Yes. Its poor form to call out someone in the title. I think someone mentioned this to you last time, just send a PM next time, or post in the other thread, no need to do this twice.

I've merged the threads.

ok i didn't know i shouldn't do that, and this is the first time a have asked for a pacific person but thanks for the advice

dustin_ds3000 said:
i want to mod the case i got off of ebay, i want to cut out the 120mm fan grills in the front and back for more air flow, do u think this will work
yes, I suppose it would allow for a little more air-flow, but i doubt it would make a big difference (temp-wise that is). cutting them out would however make the fans alot quieter.

also, we may have different cases afterall. the only 120mm fan mounting that my case came with is on the back panel. there were 80mm fan mounts on the top and side windows. the drilled holes they used as a "fan grills" make even a low-speed fans very loud. for the side mount, I cut out the opening and used a metal "wire grill" instead. for the top I threw out the cheap thin plastic window and replaced it with 1/4" clear acrylic and cut out a 120mm hole (and again, used a "wire grill").

hope this helps, oh and BTW...

dustin_ds3000 said:
this is the first time a have asked for a pacific person
I live on the east coast of the US, so I'm more of an "Atlantic person" :haha: :haha:

:wave:

well u knew what i was talking about when i said "pacific", well i will remove the fan grills when i can find something to cut then out with

ok i cut out the fan grills and i gained 100% more air flow and my core temp when down 3C, not bad for almost two hours of work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back