Cable Connection (power sw, hdd led, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredarmando

Hello everyone.

I just found this forum today, but I have read enough posts to learn a thing or two. Very good stuff! Thanks!

I am connecting a new motherboard to my existing case and came to somewhat of a an impasse. Well, let me start with some info on my system:

Motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM AM2 Micro ATX (brand new)
Case: from an eMachines T3104 I had lying around (don't worry, though... I upgraded the PSU)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2-430W (brand new)
CPU: AMD 64 X2 6000+ with stock heatsink and fan (brand new)
RAM: 2x1GB (Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB (7200RPM) IDE
Optical Drive: CD/DVD-ROM (IDE)

I also had to install an IDE port card on one of my PCI slots, since my motherboard only came with one IDE connector. I'm leaving that one for the CD/DVD-ROM and connecting the hard drive directly to the mobo.

All I need to connect now are the wires running from the front of the case to the motherboard. They are:

POWER SW: Black and White wires, with one single connector
H.D.D. LED: Red and White wires, with one single connector
POWER LED: Green and White wires, with one single connector

I read a thread here, in which someone (I think it was Tedster) said that the POWER SW can be connected anyway, without regard for positive or negative. Please correct me if I misunderstood the answer. As for the other cables, how do I find out which one is positive and which one is negative? My other problem is that the POWER LED cable has one single connector, but the pins on the motherboard are separated by one empty pin. I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say. It looks like this:

MOBO: PIN EMPTY SPACE PIN (IOI)
CONNECTOR: PIN PIN (II)

How do I connect that? Can I just leave it disconnected? From my limited understanding, that would just mean that the LED in the front of the case would not light up when I turn the machine on. Right? Even so, it would look better if I could find a way to connect them.

Can anyone help with these questions?
1) polarity on POWER LED and HDD LED cables
2) connector on POWER LED cable.
3) any other suggestions you may have from the info I supplied in this thread

Thank you all in advance for your time (I know this was a long read!) and your help.

Best regards,

Fred

Yes the power switch has no polarity. The HDD and porwer do have polarity. Just reverse their position when the power is on until they function

Thanks!

Thanks, Tmagic650!

Everything connected except the POWER LED cable. Any suggestions on how to separate the connectors to fit into the motherboard pins?

Best,

Fred

Ok Fred,
there's a small plastic tab holding the pins in the connector. Gently lift the tab up just enough to remove the pin. Push the pin back into the proper position in the connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back