Windows XP problems, most likely display related, minidumps attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

hana-chan

I've never posted here before, so please tell me if I don't include any information that is needed.

I use Windows XP Professional and have an Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz CPU. The Video Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400. My computer is constantly short on space, but I don't think that's the problem. I do have 3% of my C drive free and 9% of E. There is no DVD/CD drive at the moment because of an issue with a fairly new power supply, and I'm about 99% sure that the power supply has nothing to do with the problems I'm having. I have that Everest program installed so I can give more details if I need to.

The problem has been going on at least a couple weeks, and I think longer, but I can't remember when it started because it got worse and worse as time went on. One day the graphics on my computer started going wonky. Like, the icons would be repeated elsewhere or be the wrong colors. And random stripes would show up over webpages or whatever else I was doing. And the windows loading screen would look messy and pieces would be out of place. And then sometimes the screen would flash black. And sometimes it would happen a lot and sometimes only once or twice. And it got steadily worse and now it sometimes randomly shuts down and I've had the blue screen of death once or twice. And I've gotten the error message that says "the system has recovered from a serious error" a bunch of times.

I used registry cleanup stuff. I reinstalled the drivers for my video card. I ran memtest. I opened my case to listen for weird noises and make sure it wasn't overheating. I changed the display settings. I ran a disk check. I deleted all the minidumps and reset the page file thingy. I did a bunch of stuff. And nothing's really helping.

Right now I'm in VGA mode and that's working perfectly, but it's a total pain because of the low resolution.

I'll put a few minidumps on here, and if anyone can help I'd REALLY appreciate it. Oh, and if I seriously can't fix it I'm going to reformat, but I've never reformatted in the 4 or 5 years I've had this computer, and I believe reformatting is last resort (plus I have so many things I'd have to backup), so I'd prefer not to if possible.

Attachments

• Mini091007-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 6
rik said:
It sounds like the fan on your graphics card is either not working or is clogged up with dust, you need to get in there and check it.

If the fan is beyond help then a cheap alternative would be a slot or bay cooler. Theres plenty of info about the cooler to be found via google.

As an example - http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=slot+cooler&gbv=2
I don't think there's a fan on the card...at least not one I've ever noticed. I'll clean the card when I get home today and see if that helps at all though.

Sadly, my computer is a Shuttle so with the graphics card and wireless thingy I have no extra slots for a cooler or anything. >.< I'd be kind of surprised if it was overheating though since I've been leaving my case open the last couple days to see if that helps.

Thanks for your help!

Well, I took the video card out and dusted it and the rest of the inside of my computer out and put it back in and started my computer...and...it still has the same problems. I was wondering if the video card might be dying. I've had it probably 3+ years, but I have no clue how long they usually last. I was also thinking maybe the new power supply is more powerful and the power is creating issues for the card? I dunno if that's even possible though.

Please help. >.<

It is most likely to be the graphics card. I used to have a very similar heat problem in an old pc with the exact same card and a bay cooler cured it.

With the psu, it will only give whatever ammount of power that is required up to its maximum wattage, it will not give out more than the pc actually needs. Having a psu that is rated higher than the maximum consumption of the pc is safe and the best way to do it.

A new graphics card is what you need. Age you sure its a geforce2 and not a geforce4?

I think I'm gonna take it to this PC repair place that does free diagnostics (and the owner is really nice and always really helpful when I need help figuring out what's wrong with my computer) just to have him make totally sure before I go out and spend the money on a new card, but I'm pretty sure that's it too. >.<

And I checked again and Everest says it's a GeForce2, and I seem to remember that being the one I bought before.

Thank you so much!

Good luck with that!

Just incase, can you tell me what make and model number your mobo (mother board) is and i will have a look to see what graphics card slot it has so that if he should replace the graphics card I can make sure he gets a compatible one.

I will just add, he stands to make money from it, I dont, im only looking out for you. I just want to make sure you dont end up paying for something that will have problems.

It's a Shuttle FS51.

I really do appreciate your help with all this, since I don't know much about hardware, other than how to put in and take out a bunch of it. I do trust the guy at the computer place though, especially since he took Aikido with my best friend and they get along well, and he knows I'm just gonna put the part in myself so he doesn't get labor money, and I'll probably just buy the part myself, or at least price it to see which of us can get a better deal. But it's always great to have a second opinion. :D

Is this it? - http://eu.shuttle.com/archive/en/fs51.htm

If so, you could try its on-board graphics port to see if that runs properly.
It states that it is an agp x4 slot. You absolutely must get a graphics card that is agp x4 compliant or you will have big problems.

If you wish to try the on-board graphics then i can give you instructions on how to do it. You may need your mobo manual, do you have it handy?

If the above link is not your pc then i will need the make and model number of your mobo, everest should give some useful info if you have a good look through it.

Is the on-board port the one I accidentally broke like the second day I got my computer? XD The built in one?

I should probably just go with another card that I put in the slot thingy since I'm used to that already and can fix it easily myself.

And yes, that is my computer there.

Oh, and is the PCI slot the one next to the AGP slot?

Hmmm, so the on-board graphics idea is out of the question, oh well.

Nice looking case i have to say, bit small for my liking tho, have a look here - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86288.html - to see some info anout my case.

Your pci slot is the white one above the brown agp slot on the mobo pic in the link i gave you in post number 9.

It is very important that any replacement card you get is agp x4 compliant.

You either need an ago x2/x4 or x4/x8. An x8 only will not work.

Wooooow, you're all into fancy computer stuff. O.O

I love my computer. I call it Baby 'cause it's small and cute. It's handy for taking to anime club to hook up the projector when no one with a laptop is gonna be able to make it, since it's small enough to fit in a duffel bag. The only bad thing about it being so small is that it's a pain to change parts in, since it's so cramped and to replace one thing I have to take out several others. And I worry about overheating since there's only room for one fan and there's not a ton of room to ventilate inside it anyway.

And I'll be sure to tell Sean about the 4x AGP thing when I take it in, and I'll post here when he tells me what card I should get before I either have him order it or go get it myself. I actually made a thread in the video audio section of this forum asking for recommendations on the card too.

Good luck with that.
Let me know how you get on.

Make sure he removes all software and drivers for the old card before fitting the new one, to avoid problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back