Need Wireless Router Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinist

Im looking to set up a wireless router that will be on an existing Verizon dsl modem. Neither PC has wireless capabilities. Would I need 1 wireless card for each pc or just a usb adapter? Im a total noob when it comes to routers. Im looking for something that will be fast, very reliable and will be able to send a signal one level down in our house. I hope my description is not too vague.

Thanks

First, consider using the cable/DSL model that your DSL provider supports. That makes life simple for evermore. I do not know of a tech support team for any DSL or Cable internet provider who will even talk to you if you use a DSL unit they do not support. Nor will they provide tech support, in most cases, or warranty any of the work or connections.
Beyond that, Cisco is the best, but expensive. Allied makes a terrific one. Motorola is good, along with LinkSys, Netgear, many DLink, 2Wire, Toshiba, Buffalo, and a number of others.
We recommend avoiding the SpeedStream, Best, Network Everywhere, ZyXel, EnGenius, and Belkin (because the Belkin is not made by Belkin, but by a number of other manufacturers for Belkin) and varies from month to month and market to market.
If you need model numbers, we have most of them available.
When we are given the choice, we use either Netgear RangeMax, or the new LinkSys dual antenna models.
Most Wireless modems for DSL or Cable are good and reliable nowadays. If not, they could not stay in business as the cable and DSL companies ban all the rotton ones.

Modem and then the wireless router would be the best way to go unless your ISP offers Modem/Wireless Router combo. If you want a good wireless router only I recommend what I use Buffalo WHP-54G model very stable doesn't reboot like the others do..

Good choice tipstir, I have the same model. I love it. It's the 4th one I've bought that finally works well.

As far as range and reliability goes, just about any new router should work just fine for what you need.

Once you pick out your router, simply post back here and we'll help you set it up, if you need help that is :)

Thanks guys, im using verizon dsl if that helps any as for what router to use, and the modem is already installed.

Thanks

Cool I have read good reviews about that router, and the price is perfect. Which wireless adapter is compatible with it? What else would i need to set this up. both pc's are running XP,one is running Pro and the other home version.

Thanks

Everything is easier if the components in the chain are all the same make, and all come with install discs.
The Buffalo is good, but a low cost unit that does not work as well on troubled connections sections of town... it is best for stable systems in normal neighborhoods. Buffalo does not make all the components in the chain of internet connections, but the price is right.
For low priced gear all branded the same, Netgear is easier. LinkSys has better install discs. DLink is very rugged, but more difficult.
If you use a four-port Wireless router, you have everything you need whether it is a Buffalo, Netgear, Belkin, LinkSys, or whatever.
When you shop, take care to get the right item. Some are called Routers, some are called access points, some are called switches. They all have a function.

Thanks raybay, could you or anyone else recommend a good quality full set up in the $100-$150 range if thats possible.

Thanks

I also want to mention that neither pc has wireless capabilities, such as a wireless card etc etc. Hope this helps.

If these are PC's you will need PCI based wireless network cards, or USB wireless adapters along with the wireless router, access point etc...

If one is going to be hard-wired to the modem, yes you'll need only one PCI wireless card for the other computer. This is the way I have my 2 systems set up

I have buffalo wireless pci card for desktop it's very stable and works. I also have PCMICA card too. Easy to install out of the box. For the money you have to spend you're better off getting Buffalo less headaches and it's true you should stick with the same brand. I now gone all Buffalo.. WHP-54G Turbo MIMO High Power Wireless/Router/Access Point, I use two of those and there Ethernet Converter making any 4 wired devices wireless that is also 54G Turbo MIMO High Power device. You need these featurs because the other brands don't offer it and then you have all sort of signal problems. I have to use two WHP-54G I use them as access points on two different floors so that the signal is 100% (excellent) Remember if you have 2.4GHz coreless phone devices in the house they will interfere with wireless, you should get either 5.8Ghz DSS or DECT 6.0 coreless phone instead.

Do the Buffalo way!

poertner_1274 said:
Good choice tipstir, I have the same model. I love it. It's the 4th one I've bought that finally works well.

As far as range and reliability goes, just about any new router should work just fine for what you need.

Once you pick out your router, simply post back here and we'll help you set it up, if you need help that is :)

Yes I hear you! I had the same problems then I found out about the Buffalo and gave it a try. Never had to reboot or anything. Last year I found one at CC retail. This year a got another one to extend my range and pickup the Ethernet Converter to make 4 wired devices wireless ordered off NewEgg. It works so good I going to get another one for upstairs. You just plug-in the devices and turn on the EC and that's it. It doesn't have to be connect to the network with a CAT 5e wire. It just picks up the signal and goes. Well you have to put in the SSID, WEP 128-bit encryption stuff an etc.. Add the MAC address to the two WHP-54G APs then you're a go!

I think you would detest this combination before you are done with install. It works ok once it is finally working, but it is infuriating and frustrating to setup... for a newbie. If you have not setup this combination before, get the Netgear, or the LinkSys WRT54GL and WMP54G PCI. If you want Buffalo, got WHR-G12S
Try www.tigerdirect.com where the prices are much lower.

Buffalo makes it easy to setup though.. The user should start off buying the Buffalo WHP54G, then when the need is greater they can get what they need. If the user needs help they can come here or call tech support.

which model is that raybay WHR-G12s not listed..
tigerdirect I had problems with them newegg and buy.com never had a problem and items order came very quick to my front door and undamaged.

Over 100 orders and never a problem with TigerDirect... and much lower cost than Newegg. Buy.Com has a very low rating.
Look at all the ratings...
Of course you will find every problem there is...
Buffalo is good and you can see above that I have recommended them. But these particular models up liste, though very low priced, are rated among the most difficult for a multiple install... I don't know anybody who rates those listed as "easy to setup." Netgear is the easiest. Linksys is next. "Easy" is only good if you have never installed one... but without experience, you can spend days on those Buffalos.

Your choice. There are not many bad ones.
But if you are on a budget, TigerDirect.com, zipzoomfly.com, www.directron.com, and www.pcmall.com are the low priced - easy return sites...
The variety of experiences are what make this forum great.
Go with what you are comfortable.

Ok, looking into the Linksys routers and USB adapters for their ease of install. Next question is what are the differences between the WRT54G, GL, and GS models.

Thanks

No significant differences. The product guides for all three were published in June 2007... Their install software and firmware discs are different versions, but all work the same. The WRT54GS is slightly more recent based on the firmware... but each version gets about four firmware updates... and it may be nothing more than the fact that they were built in different plants.
You can read about all of them on www.linksys.com, doing searches for WRT54G, WRT54GL, and WRT54GS...

There will be no difference in reliability, although the GS unit does generate more head.
I was incorrect before. The model ending in GS is the speed booster model which is supposedly 35 % faster.
The USB model is noticibly slower, but works fine in the home.

So I would get the PCI unit ending in GS and the Router wireless ending in GS.

But if money is a strong consideration, the G and GL version work very well in our house and shop. We have the G version all over the valley with nary a failure... though I do worry about the lighting we're having this week.

Tiger will have it at your door 5 days after order at the lowest shipping rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back