HELP! System Board Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new here so, i didn't really know where to put this so i chose this topic. If it is wrong, i'm sorry!

anyways, i have an IBM T30. i don't really know anything about it, i got it used about a year ago christmas. It was fine up until about 2 months ago. One day it just froze up. It would not do ANYTHING, so i turned it off. I tried to turn it back on, and nothing happened. It acts like it's on, the lights light up, they power-on light is on, and the battery light is green, which means it is fully charged. But it will not come on.

I've researched and some people have an issue with "stuck in standby mode". This is not the issue for me, i'm sure. The standby light is not on.

When i turn it on, it makes four short beeps four times. like, "beep beep beep beep. pause. beep beep beep beep. pause. beep beep beep beep. pause. beep beep beep beep." I kept researching and all it says is four beeps means system board. I don't know if something is WRONG with the system board, or what it means.
I don't even know what the system board is.

Can someone PLEASE help me? i have been trying to fix my laptop for over two months now.

Thank you.

[EDIT: OS XP]

I think you`re probably correct in thinking this is a problem with the system board. See HERE.

If that is indeed the case, then you only have two choices. 1: Get the laptop repaired. This could be quite expensive and it`s up to you whether you feel it`s worth spending money on.

2: Buy a new laptop.

Regards Howard :)

can you explain what the system board is, and is there ANY way i can fix it without taking it to be fixed?

see, i ordered a Dell 1520 as a new computer, it is supposed to be here sometime this week, but the color is holding it up.

and there's no use in taking it to be repaired if i'm getting a new computer and spending money, so i just want to try to fix it myself as a back-up computer.

but, can you explain what could have caused the system board to stop responding and what it is?

thanks.

The system board is the motherboard, which is a large circuit board that covers most of the bottom of the chassis. It is the heart of your computer system, containing the CPU, the expansion slots, and often, the system's random access memory (RAM).

Well motherboard can just fail. How long have you had the computer?

Regards Jase

Did you get the warranty with the laptop?

If you did, it might be worth contacting IBM and asking them how best to proceed.

Regards Howard :)

I think we got like, a 2 month warrenty.
not very long, i 'm sure it's probablly not under warrenty anymore.
although, i really wanted it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back